Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22749
View in linear mode

Subject: "Focus Indicator When Manually Focusing In Live View" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sat 22-Dec-12 02:39 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Focus Indicator When Manually Focusing In Live View"

Aventura, US

When I manually focus and look through the viewfinder I get a green dot at the bottom left when focus is achieved. There doesn't seem to be an indicator in Live View. Is that correct?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Focus Indicator When Manually Focusing In Live View
Bravozulu Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
Steve6344 Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
txstone12 Gold Member
24th Dec 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
25th Dec 2012

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 22-Dec-12 04:54 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Focus Indicator When Manually Focusing In Live View"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

It's more complicated. First off, turn on live view, focus, and then hit the QUAL + button several times on the right lower backside of the camera. This zooms you in on the image at the point at which focus was achieved.

You know, don't you, that the Phase Detection mode of focus used in Live View is considerably more accurate than the Viewfinder method? But it is also slower. And you can select various methods for focus needed for Video. These included Face Detection.

It is a deep subject, and most of us D7000 don't use it fully so it is easy to forget. But, play around with it in LIve View Mode. Push the QUAL + button, and then zoom out with the ISO - button. It is technologically sophisticated.

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sat 22-Dec-12 06:06 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Focus Indicator When Manually Focusing In Live View"
In response to Reply # 1

Aventura, US

That makes sense. I now realize that if you are in Manual Focus, the focus is always achieved (so it wouldn't make sense to have a focus indcator),-it's just a question of where. Right now I'm only interested in still shots. I will play around with it. Thanks for your insight.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 22-Dec-12 07:07 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Focus Indicator When Manually Focusing In Live View"
In response to Reply # 2

Los Angeles, US

Live View gives you many of the tools once available only to owners of a 4x5 View Camera. When I do product photography on a tripod, Live View allows a slow, careful analysis of the composition.

In particular, DOF study is a real godsend. It really is powerful.

txstone12 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012Mon 24-Dec-12 03:12 AM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Focus Indicator When Manually Focusing In Live View"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 24-Dec-12 03:14 AM by txstone12

Texas, US

The focus indicator in Live View is the Red box that turns Green using AF. When you use Manual focus on the lens or on the camera, the Red box does not change color when the camera achieves focus. When you adjust focus you can magnify the particular subject as Gary said, then you observe how focus changes in the LCD. You decide when the subject is in focus.

BTW, Contrast Detect autofocus is used in Live View.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug Gallery.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 25-Dec-12 12:15 AM
#5. "RE: Focus Indicator When Manually Focusing In Live View"
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

TXstone, you are right. Live View uses Contrast Detection for autofocus. A red square when it's hunting for focus. Turning to a green square when focus is achieved.

And I made a mistake about the location of the zoom button. The Qual button (marked with a +) is on the lower left back of the camera body. By repeatedly hitting the +button, you can magnify portions of the image up to x32. And you can navigate around the image by rocking the Multi-Selector wheel next to the LCD.

A 32-power magnification certainly is proof of focus.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22749 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.