Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22711
View in linear mode

Subject: "Viewfinder Eye Cup?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 20-Dec-12 04:10 AM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Viewfinder Eye Cup?"

Los Angeles, US

I am having a hard time looking through the viewfinder in bright sun. And I wear eyeglasses. So, I'm not seeing all the little important icons in the viewfinder. And of course in bright sun, it is useless to hit the Info button to view the LCD screen.

Is the Hoodman rubber eyecup a worthwhile solution?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?
DuhRock Silver Member
20th Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
20th Dec 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
20th Dec 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
creektn Silver Member
28th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
28th Dec 2012
MasterDabber Silver Member
28th Dec 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
28th Dec 2012
28th Dec 2012
mkbee1
28th Dec 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
DinoCardelli Silver Member
28th Dec 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
29th Dec 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
paul_7e Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
08th Jan 2013
csstanton
21st Jan 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
21st Jan 2013
csstanton
21st Jan 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
21st Jan 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
21st Jan 2013
N4TVC Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
thormx538
23rd Jan 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
24th Jan 2013
thormx538
28th Jan 2013

DuhRock Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2011Thu 20-Dec-12 12:18 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

I also wear glasses and find it works very good for blocking the light and protecting my glasses. The cup covers the rear screen a bit so I trimmed the bottom of the rubber cup a little with scissors. I'm happy with it.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 20-Dec-12 02:24 PM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Too bad Nikon doesn't still have their F/N2-4-5-6000 half-moon eyecup:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=142&topic_id=17514&mesg_id=17514&page=#17559

I have one of these on my D7000 and it works well with or without my glasses.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Thu 20-Dec-12 03:30 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 0

Burke, US

I use a DK-22 adapter and a DK-19 eyepiece hood from Nikon on my D7K. The DK-22 is 8 dollars and the DK-19 is 12 dollars both free shipping available on eBay. Works great.

Charles

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Sat 29-Dec-12 11:49 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 3

Burke, US

CAUTION, I messed up the part numbers. Please see the post from Dec 28/29 below for the proper parts. My apologies to all.

Charles

creektn Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2010Fri 28-Dec-12 02:00 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 0

nashville, US

check out the Hoodman eyecup, I have one on my d300s and will be puting one on my d7000. it works great, worlds better than the factory one. only complaint is that f you have to take it off, you will probably end up cussing alot at it.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 28-Dec-12 03:00 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The Hoodman D7000 eye cup is nice but might not be what you are looking for. It is large and has the side wing that will interfere with most glasses. The DK-22 Nikon adaptor is designed to allow various eye cups and magnatiftying adaptors to stack. A DK-22 to adaptor your VF to the round screw thread found on the various Nikon VF accessories, would allow you to screw on a DK-17m magnafier and screw on a DK-19 large round eye cup as an example.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Fri 28-Dec-12 11:46 AM
3211 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 5

Camberley, GB

I use a DK-22 adapter and a DK-19 eyepiece hood from Nikon on my D7K. The DK-22 is 8 dollars and the DK-19 is 12 dollars both free shipping available on eBay. Works great.

OK, so based on this I went ahead and ordered these two items.

They've just arrived but I cant work out how to secure the rubber hood to the adapter.

What arrived was:

the adapter DK-22 (1 piece)

DK-19 - the rubber eyecup and a thin metal ring that appears to sit around the outside of the rubber.(2 pieces).

There is a thread inside of the adapter but nothing to screw into it.

Am I missing a piece or do I have to order something else.
Hope I haven't wasted my money.

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 28-Dec-12 04:25 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 28-Dec-12 04:27 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

I'm the OP on this thread and am awaiting shipment of the same Nikon parts. D-19 and D-22.

Without seeing the items, I remember from film days that Nikon eyepieces generally required stretching the rubber eyepiece over a circular flange on the mount. This requires some pulling and forcing. And it helps if the rubber eyepiece is warm. If you live in a cold place, then bring some water to near boiling on the stove and soften the rubber by immersing in the water briefly.

The mount (D-22) then slides onto the slot on the D7000. Of course you have to remove the present eyepiece from the camera.

I think. My parts won't arrive until after the 1st of the year. Unless someone else with this same equipment can suggest how it's done.

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Fri 28-Dec-12 04:46 PM
3211 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 7

Camberley, GB

>I'm the OP on this thread and am awaiting shipment of the
>same Nikon parts. D-19 and D-22.
>
>Without seeing the items, I remember from film days that Nikon
>eyepieces generally required stretching the rubber eyepiece
>over a circular flange on the mount. This requires some
>pulling and forcing. And it helps if the rubber eyepiece is
>warm. If you live in a cold place, then bring some water to
>near boiling on the stove and soften the rubber by immersing
>in the water briefly.
>
>The mount (D-22) then slides onto the slot on the D7000. Of
>course you have to remove the present eyepiece from the
>camera.
>
>I think. My parts won't arrive until after the 1st of the
>year. Unless someone else with this same equipment can suggest
>how it's done.

Hi Gary. I can fit the Eyepiece Adapter (DK-22) easily by simply removing the standard Eyecup (DK-21). That's not the problem.

The Rubber Eyecap (DK-19) will fit over the very small protrusion on the back of the Adapter but there is no method of retaining it (other perhaps Superglue).
I've done some more searching and what I think I now need is Nikon Finder Eyepiece for FM, FE & FA Series Cameras (2925).
It needs something that will screw into the Adapter to retain the rubber eyecap and from what I can see this is it??? However, it seems next to impossible to be sure as I can't find the internal diameter of the adapter threads and therefore the diameterof the male piece that is needed to screw into it.

The poster who said they had fitted this makes no mention of additional parts but I think they are required... I have checked and what I received were correct - no missing parts.

If I'm missing something obvious I hope someone will put me right.

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

mkbee1 Registered since 26th Nov 2012Fri 28-Dec-12 05:02 PM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Um, at the risk of being over-simplistic...buy a hat with a large brim. It shades the eyepiece nicely, and only gets in the way if you do a lot of vertical shots. Sometimes when the flash pops up, it will hit the brim, if you wear it too low on your head. Keeps me from getting a sunburned bald spot.(Most of my head, nowadays!)

Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 01:41 AM
#12. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 6

Los Angeles, US

The DK-19 and DK-22 just arrived. It does appear that a threaded lock ring is needed to attach the two.

Tomorrow is Saturday, and so I'll go up to the big camera store where I bought most of my gear and will ask them how to resolve this. They've got boxes and boxes of little Nikon bit & pieces, and usually give me what I need for no charge.

But, what we both need most is information. These guys are real Nikon old-timers. I'll get back to you in 24 hours. All is not lost!

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Sat 29-Dec-12 02:10 AM
#13. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 12

Burke, US

BZ, see my post below. I can resolve it for you if the camera store can't. Let me know.

Charles

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Sat 29-Dec-12 11:54 AM
#16. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 5

Burke, US

The DK-19 and its eyepiece lens will not fit a DK-22. The DK-22 has the smaller consumer eyepiece diameter and the DK-19 and eyepiece are for the larger diameters of the pro (single letter F or D) bodies and viewfinders. Not sure about the DK-17, but check before you try that.

Charles

DinoCardelli Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Oct 2010Fri 28-Dec-12 08:40 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 0

Plantation, US

I really like the Hoodman....great product for bright sun...

I also use the magnifiier for the rear view....allows you to see greater detail in the bright sun...

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Sat 29-Dec-12 01:32 AM
#11. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 10
Sat 29-Dec-12 02:56 AM by N4TVC

Burke, US

OK, my bad. I'm the one who recommended the DK-22 and DK-19. You also need the standard -1 eyepiece that comes with the FE2 cameras. I had these in stock, so forgot to mention needing this. It is the standard FM3A, FM2, FA, FE2 eyepiece lens. The rubber eyepiece is held in place by the lens in the DK-22. Then the DK-22 slides down the rails where the original eyepiece was.

But there was another bad piece of information...it is supposed to be a DK-3 eyecup, not DK-19. Not sure how I got those mixed up except that I use both of those.

My apologies for not including this info in my original post.

To the fellows (BZ and MasterDabber) who already purchased the DK-22 and DK-19 based on my recommendation, PM me and I'll send you a complete assembly (all the corrects parts included).

Please accept my apologies for the screw-up.

Charles

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 04:05 AM
#14. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 11

Los Angeles, US

That's nice of you. With the new, proper one on the way I guess I can cancel that appointment with my therapist. He specializes in distraught photographers.

I asked him what was the ratio of whacked out Canon owners to Nikon owners. He wouldn't tell me.

thanks.

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sat 29-Dec-12 12:25 PM
#17. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 14

Camberley, GB

Charles. I've replied by email to you.

But publicly let me sincerely thank you. You are a true gentleman.

Googling around yesterday was sending me mad.. the info available was very confusing and I felt I was running round in circles.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Sat 29-Dec-12 12:51 PM
#18. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 17

Burke, US

My pleasure to correct the erroneous info I had posted in haste and to make it up to you in a small way.

Happy New Year to all. The wife and I are celebrating our 42nd wedding anniversary today.

Life is good.

Charles

paul_7e Silver Member Charter MemberSat 29-Dec-12 02:32 PM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 18

US

Happy Anniversary to you and your wife. That's quite an accomplishment.

Paul

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Sat 29-Dec-12 04:11 PM
#20. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 19

Burke, US

Thank you, Paul. It is my greatest accomplishment

Charles

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 08-Jan-13 07:18 PM
#21. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 20

Los Angeles, US

Charles (of Virginia) sent me the complete package needed. To make amends for giving the wrong information in this thread. What a gentleman.

As was stated above by Stan, here are the 3 elements needed to fit a viewfinder eyecup on a D7000.

a) DK 22 Eyepiece adaptor (for round eyecups)

b) D-3 Eyecup (not the D-19)

c) FE-FM Screw In diopter lens --- to hold a & b together. Available in varying magnifications, so get the 0 add, since the D7000 has a built-in variable diopter on the viewfinder. This threaded part was made to fit the FA-FM2-FE2 cameras.

Don't you just love the Nikon nomenclature?

Gary in Santa Monica

csstanton Registered since 20th Jan 2013Mon 21-Jan-13 05:29 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Bravozulu, would you mind posting a picture of your triple-threat setup? I lost my eyecup last week and want a good replacement. I wear glasses as well, so what y'all are saying sounds great! eBay isn't showing me a FE-FM item that would fit, as far as I can see.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Camera-Photo-Accessories-/15200/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=FE-FM+nikon

Thank you for the help!

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 21-Jan-13 05:56 PM
#23. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 22

Los Angeles, US

Sure thing. Give me a few hours to accomplish this. For that eyecup, try looking at the BH-Photo, Adorama or Amazon websites.

csstanton Registered since 20th Jan 2013Mon 21-Jan-13 06:01 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 23

US

DK-22 ($4.49): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37445-REG/Nikon_2370_DK_22_Eyepiece_Adapter_for.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Hoodman HoodEYE Eyecup for Select Nikon DSLRs ($19) : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/545625-REG/Hoodman_H_EYEN22R_HoodEYE_Eyecup.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Just missing that last piece. Thanks Bravozulu!

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 21-Jan-13 06:33 PM
#25. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 24

Los Angeles, US

This is the proper Nikon part, but has the wrong +/- factor. You want a 0. You might want to go to a local camera store and do a special order. I'm sure you could do this over the phone. The purpose of the diopter is JUST to hold the rubber cup to the plastic viewfinder clip. It is threaded and locks CUP & CLIP together.

My Nikon dealer here in Los Angeles, has a plastic tub just filled with these viewfinder do-dads. It is a part for an old series of film cameras. I wouldn't throw a Hoodman product into the mix. Stay with Nikon.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Diopter--4-0-FE-2-FM-2/dp/B00009R8TR/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358796271&sr=1-4&keywords=nikon+diopter+0&tag=acleint-20

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 21-Jan-13 07:07 PM
#26. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 25
Mon 21-Jan-13 09:10 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

The rubber eye cup is set into the socket in the clip.
The clear diopter is only needed for its threads. It affixes the rubber cup to the clip.
The clip with assembly is then pushed onto the camera viewfinder.

I threw a little dust on this so you can clearly see the glass diopter. It has a mechanical function only. Not for optics, so get a 0 version. Take note of the diopter threads.

This store in Hollywood sells the clip & eyecup. These guys are big guns with the movie industry. They have two magnifications in dioptors. But not the + 0. With the wrong dioptor, maybe the adjustable dioptor on the camera itself might compensate for it.

http://www.samys.com/c/Eyecups--Eyepieces/3/184.html?orfilterby=vendorname;&orbegin=exact;&orend=Nikon;

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Tue 22-Jan-13 02:03 PM
#27. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 26

Burke, US

Search on ebay for "nikon fe2 eyepiece". There are about 20 showing up right now and about 10 of those offered are 0 diopter lenses. The ones marked as "replacements" or 2925 are actually -1.0 value. That is the Nikon Stock eyepiece for those finders. You can easily compensate for a +-1 or .5 with the diopter adjustment on the D7K.

That lens, plus the DK-3 rubber eyecup and the DK-22 adapter are the 3 items needed for the all-Nikon eyecup.

There are alternatives available (especially on ebay), but you get what you pay for, so to speak.

Good photo illustrations, BZ, thanks.

Charles

thormx538 Registered since 05th Jul 2012Wed 23-Jan-13 01:29 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 26

US

>The rubber eye cup is set into the socket in the clip.
>The clear diopter is only needed for its threads. It affixes
>the rubber cup to the clip.
>The clip with assembly is then pushed onto the camera
>viewfinder.
>
>I threw a little dust on this so you can clearly see the glass
>diopter. It has a mechanical function only. Not for optics, so
>get a 0 version. Take note of the diopter threads.
>
>This store in Hollywood sells the clip & eyecup. These
>guys are big guns with the movie industry. They have two
>magnifications in dioptors. But not the + 0. With the wrong
>dioptor, maybe the adjustable dioptor on the camera itself
>might compensate for it.
>
>http://www.samys.com/c/Eyecups--Eyepieces/3/184.html?orfilterby=vendorname;&orbegin=exact;&orend=Nikon;
>
>
>

I've been using a modified DK-22 with a DK-17m epoxied into it, with a DK-19 eye cup for the last few months. I like it, but I can't really see the entire frame -- the corners get cut. It is a bit too much magnification. I just ordered the parts for this set up so I can compare them. I'll post back once I get a chance to try this non-magnified setup.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 24-Jan-13 06:01 PM
#29. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 28

Los Angeles, US

Very minor clipping on 2 corners with the Nikon parts and the glass dioptor.

thormx538 Registered since 05th Jul 2012Mon 28-Jan-13 02:07 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Viewfinder Eye Cup?"
In response to Reply # 29

US

Update:

I used both eye cup setups this weekend, and ended up sticking with the DK-17m. Although the corners are clipped a bit more than they are with the diopter/DK-3, I think the larger viewfinder image due to the magnification makes up for it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22711 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.