Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22693
View in linear mode

Subject: "Formatting memory cards" Previous topic | Next topic
larrycurrlymoe Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009Wed 19-Dec-12 02:52 AM
232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Formatting memory cards"

Calgary, CA

Am I nuts or should an internal camera "format" not wipe all the files off the card?
When I use the camera to format my cards, any images that were on the card remain. This does not make sense to me, the cards should be re-formatted, should they not?

larrycurrlymoe: not just a funny moniker, I can't dance either!

turbostrackandtour.blogspot.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Formatting memory cards
paul_7e Silver Member
19th Dec 2012
kingsgraphic
19th Dec 2012
EpicDan Silver Member
27th Dec 2012
Lissajous Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
19th Dec 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
19th Dec 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
20th Dec 2012
larrycurrlymoe Silver Member
20th Dec 2012
ROD H Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
dvhughes Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
bc3 Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013

paul_7e Silver Member Charter MemberWed 19-Dec-12 03:29 AM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Formatting memory cards"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I always format my cards in camera and the images never remain on the card. According to the manual, formatting the card is a 2-step process (see page 32 of the manual). After pressing the format buttons the first time, a blinking F o r appears in the shutter-speed displays in the control panel and viewfinder. Press the buttons together a second time while F o r is blinking to format the memory card.

Paul

kingsgraphic Registered since 30th Oct 2012Wed 19-Dec-12 06:39 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Formatting memory cards"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 19-Dec-12 06:45 AM by kingsgraphic

GB

>Am I nuts or should an internal camera "format" not
>wipe all the files off the card?
>When I use the camera to format my cards, any images that were
>on the card remain. This does not make sense to me, the cards
>should be re-formatted, should they not?

Hi, yes they should. Have you tried formatting through the menu system on the LCD? It's more intuitive than using the two-buttons, and you can verify that it's done more easily.

Happy shooting, Tony.

p.s Also the menu system allows you to select memory cards if you are using two. Not sure, but the two-button formatting may only format card one.(?)

EpicDan Silver Member Charter MemberThu 27-Dec-12 12:14 PM
702 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Formatting memory cards"
In response to Reply # 2

St. Paul, US

I own the D3s and expect it will operate much the same as any other Nikon. Two button formatting allows card selection by rolling the back dial after you get the initial blinking format. Press and hold, get the blinking format, roll the command wheel to select card, press and hold a second time, camera formats the selected card.

Daniel McGowan
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Lissajous Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2011Sun 30-Dec-12 09:52 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Formatting memory cards"
In response to Reply # 7

Gosford, AU

Yep, I can confirm the D7000 allows you to select the card in this way too.

BTW, on the subject of removing images, be aware that with images being saved to both slots (as automatic backups) the effect of deleting single images is to only delete one copy. Embarrassing images you thought you'd deleted in camera can later resurface from the second slot. Don't ask me how I know that...

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 19-Dec-12 09:38 AM
5952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Formatting memory cards"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Yes, it should. Usually when people report that formatting isn't working it's because they aren't doing it right. If you are using the buttons to format, you have to hold them both down until the display starts to blink "Fmt", then release them briefly and push them both down at the same time again. If that's not what you are doing, there's your problem.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 19-Dec-12 09:58 PM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Formatting memory cards"
In response to Reply # 3

Los Angeles, US

Once you know the sequence with the buttons, it is a much faster method. And you don't have to go surfing through menus.

Be aware that formatting a card is the cleanest way to remove the digital record. You can also trash the images on the card by hitting the > Playback button, and then deleting individual images are a whole day's worth of images.

The formatting method is more thorough. One disadvantage is that you'll lose everything on the card. So if you have Save Settings, those go to. This is not the same as U1 & U2 User Settings.

Those are stored in the Camera memory.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Thu 20-Dec-12 12:02 AM
1394 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Formatting memory cards"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 20-Dec-12 12:02 AM by four eighty sparky

US

Technically, you images are still there until you use the card to record something.

If you format the card and never use it, you can recover most (if not all) of the images.

Computers and cameras do not erase anything. All formatting does is rewrite the directory on the card.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009Thu 20-Dec-12 12:28 AM
232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Formatting memory cards"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

Thanks to everyone for the great instructions. Problem has been resolved.
Turbo

ROD H Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2007Mon 31-Dec-12 01:24 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Formatting memory cards"
In response to Reply # 6

MELVILLE, US

I always use the menu option to format, Have never had any problems

dvhughes Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Nov 2005Tue 01-Jan-13 03:51 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Formatting memory cards"
In response to Reply # 0

St. Petersburg, US

I generally use the incamera format with the two button system.

I recently downloaded Lexar's card recovery app and was amazed what was on my "empty" card. I recovered maybe a thousand RAW files.
I then used the app to permanantly erase the card, making the card easier to recover future imagtes. Dennis

bc3 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2012Thu 03-Jan-13 07:33 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Formatting memory cards"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I just went in and checked a memory card that I used new years eve and than formatted with the menu format option after I down loaded the images. I used Sandisk Pro Recovery program for the check and determined that all of the image files are still there. Only the file names have been removed. This is the same as a quick format on your computer where the FAT tables are cleared. This makes sense in that it takes less than a second to do the format in the camera. What that will do is let you load new images from bit zero with no gaps.

BertC

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22693 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.