Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2259
View in linear mode

Subject: "Has anyone used the ML-L3 remote with the D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
RWA0655 Registered since 15th Nov 2010Mon 22-Nov-10 04:37 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Has anyone used the ML-L3 remote with the D7000?"

US

I tried using my ML-L3 today with the D7000 and suspect that I am doing something wrong. I found that in both immediate and mirror delay modes, I needed to partially depress the shutter button to get the camera to focus before I used the remote. The camera would not focus before shooting when I used the remote.

I also found that in mirror-up mode the camera would sometimes fire the shutter once or twice instead of simply raising the mirror in anticipation of the next button press to activate the shutter.

I re-read all of the relevant sections in the manual, but haven't yet figured out what I'm doing wrong. Could anyone offer any suggestions?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Has anyone used the ML-L3 remote with the D7000?
me_two Silver Member
22nd Nov 2010
Biker Bill Gold Member
22nd Nov 2010
Mike Buckley
22nd Nov 2010
RWA0655
22nd Nov 2010
elec164 Silver Member
22nd Nov 2010

me_two Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2004Mon 22-Nov-10 07:57 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Has anyone used the ML-L3 remote with the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Brisbane, AU

Hi
Just tried it out mine works fine.

Mark

Biker Bill Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2009Mon 22-Nov-10 11:37 AM
929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Has anyone used the ML-L3 remote with the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

I tried it this morning and it works like a charm. Having the option of triggering remote from both in front of or behind the camera is a great feature.

Mike Buckley Registered since 22nd Aug 2010Mon 22-Nov-10 12:15 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Has anyone used the ML-L3 remote with the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I needed to partially depress the
>shutter button to get the camera to focus before I used the
>remote.

That is as it should be if you are using a configuration that requires focus to be achieved in order to release the shutter. I assume any time you are using the tripod that that would be the case.

I don't know about your issue with the mirror-up mode, as I don't have the D7000 yet or any camera that has that capability.

Author of "IDimager Version 5 Workbook"

RWA0655 Registered since 15th Nov 2010Mon 22-Nov-10 03:41 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Has anyone used the ML-L3 remote with the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>>I needed to partially depress the
>>shutter button to get the camera to focus before I used
>the
>>remote.
>
>That is as it should be if you are using a configuration that
>requires focus to be achieved in order to release the shutter.
>I assume any time you are using the tripod that that would be
>the case.
>
>I don't know about your issue with the mirror-up mode, as I
>don't have the D7000 yet or any camera that has that
>capability.

I suspected it was user-error rather than a camera problem. I thought for some reason that the camera would focus and then release when using the remote. Thinking this through, with the manual shutter you get the auto focus with the first half of the button travel. With the remote, you only get the shutter trigger. Funny how clear these things can be after a night's sleep.

The mirror-up release mode is really nice. Press the remote button one to raise the mirror and a second time to release the shutter and drop the mirror after the shot. Having the various release modes on the new dial is a wonderful feature.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 22-Nov-10 03:41 PM
1981 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Has anyone used the ML-L3 remote with the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I don’t know if this is your issue, but I have noticed an anomaly when using the ML-L3 remote.

I first noticed it when using it with my D80, and it appears it occurs as well with the D7000. When in AF-S if you half-press the shutter and achieve focus lock but don’t take the shot, but then manually override the focus (or reframe or move camera position needing refocusing), then when using the ML-L3 it will not refocus. But if you half press the shutter without achieving focus lock, the Ml-L3 will again activate AF when pressed.

At least that has been my experience.

Pete

Pete

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2259 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.