Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22509
View in linear mode

Subject: "What Would You Do" Previous topic | Next topic
umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Sun 09-Dec-12 04:28 PM
1929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What Would You Do"

Lexington, US

In the next month or two I plan on purchasing a new addition to my photo gear-either a new D7000 (body only) or a like new 17-55 2.8 from KEH.com. I currently have a D5000. It is my only digital body. My lenses are: Nikon afs-70-300vr, Nikon af-s 35mm 1.8, Sigma 10-20 EX HSM, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4. From evrything I've read here and other places the D7000 is far superior to the D5000 in every way. It doesn't hurt that it's now selling for less than $900 on Amazon. While the thought of two bodies is appealing, I'm intrigued by what I've read about the 17-55. I can purchase a like new lens for a little less than the price of the D7000. Faced with this choice, which would you get and why?

Scottie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What Would You Do
jbloom Gold Member
09th Dec 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
09th Dec 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
09th Dec 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
09th Dec 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
09th Dec 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
09th Dec 2012
blw Moderator
09th Dec 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
09th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
10th Dec 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
10th Dec 2012
blw Moderator
10th Dec 2012
JosephK Silver Member
10th Dec 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
10th Dec 2012
briantilley Moderator
10th Dec 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
11th Dec 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
11th Dec 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
11th Dec 2012
Tucsonmr2
12th Dec 2012
singlerosa Silver Member
12th Dec 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
14th Dec 2012
hyalite
12th Dec 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
14th Dec 2012
William Symonds
15th Dec 2012

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sun 09-Dec-12 05:13 PM
6101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I'm not sure I would do either of those things, but with those as the choices, I would probably opt for the D7000. One strong reason is that it opens up the possibility of using AF (non-AF-S) lenses that your D5000 can't autofocus with. Of course, I don't know if that interests you, but you did ask what I would do.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Sun 09-Dec-12 10:37 PM
1929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 1

Lexington, US

"One strong reason is that it opens up the possibility of using AF (non-AF-S) lenses that your D5000 can't autofocus with."

Good point, Jon. Thanks for your input.

Scottie

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 09-Dec-12 05:48 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

I would upgrade to the D7000 or maybe even wait a bit to see if the D7000 replacement is announced in early 2013. I have never been a fan of the 17-55, mainly due to the weight, but also because it does not zoom farther. At 755g it is almost as heavy as a D7000 with battery, which is 780g. However, it is a high quality lens, and I know there are many happy users. Even if I did want that lens though, I would upgrade from the D5000 first.

Rocky

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Sun 09-Dec-12 10:40 PM
#6. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 09-Dec-12 10:46 PM by umdaman1

Lexington, US

Thanks, Rocky. If there is a replacement maybe the current D7000 price will stick or fall even farther which would be a good thing.

Scottie

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sun 09-Dec-12 07:14 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I was in a similar position about a year ago, with a twist: I had to have two bodies for a shoot, circumstances dictated I couldn't swap lenses (outdoors, -20F, etc). I needed some glass, and I needed bodies that were a little "sturdier" than the D5000.

I played with the 7000, and decided that the control layout, etc., was so different that I couldn't, in the heat of the moment, use both bodies effectively. So I purchased 2 D7000 bodies. By "heat of the moment" I mean that this was a sporting event: dogsled race and weightpull, and skijoorning. No way am I good enough to switch from the 5000 controls to the 7000 and not flub the action shots.

Then later I worked on building up my glass. Still working on that, NAS blows.

With that said: a lot depends on what you're shooting, IMO. If you're shooting in relatively controlled conditions, the 5000 produces excellent images. Yeah, it won't have the high ISO performance, nor the dynamic range, of the 7000, and the controls are not nearly as flexible, not as high a pixel count, yada yada. But I've shot many images with the 5000 that I still am proud to print and show.

But as much as I liked the 5000, the 7000 is a major upgrade in every way. A year later, I'm still thrilled with the 7000, and am still practicing and learning how to make better images. It's really a great introduction, IMO, to a professional level DSLR.

The other comment I'll make: the 17-55 is a dx lens, albeit a very good one. However, I made a decision to avoid investing in DX lenses, just in case I make the switch to FX format down the road, I won't have to lose as much money. Something to consider.

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Sun 09-Dec-12 10:45 PM
#7. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 3

Lexington, US

I would like to make the switch to FX at some point so your DX vs FX lens argument has merit. Thanks for responding.

Scottie

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 09-Dec-12 10:29 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

What is the biggest shortcoming in your results?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Sun 09-Dec-12 10:59 PM
#8. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 4

Lexington, US

Noise and less dynamic range than I woud like. I'm glad you asked that question. I had not even thought about it in that respect.

Scottie

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 10-Dec-12 12:35 AM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 8

St Petersburg, RU

What specifically do you shoot and in what conditions?
As you get deeper into better lenses you will find that they become more specialized meaning if you have many types of subjects, the cost of your hobby gets pretty expensive getting lenses that are optimized for your needs.
The 17-55 is a good lens, not stellar but good and well made. If you shoot what it is a good match for, it would be a good investment, provided that you are going to stick with DX for a long time. But if you plan on shifting to FX, forget the 17-55, it will suffer too much in resale compared to more in-demand lenses. If you have any desire to move to FX, stop buying DX lenses now, even if the move is a couple years from now.

Can you post am image that you think would have been noticeably better with a D7000? Depending on the weakness of the image, the upgrade could be warranted or not.
No mistaking it, the D7000 is a very competent camera. I really enjoy mine but in typcial shots it is not that much different than your D5000 in image quality.
If lower noise is the most important improvement you seek, a couple of speedlights and a flash workshop would probably give better results. Also, consider the 1.8 low cost primes like the 85, 50, 35 and 28 which have excellent IQ plus gather more light than the 2.8 zooms.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Mon 10-Dec-12 03:12 AM
#10. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 9

Lexington, US

Greetings, Stan. I mainly shoot landscapes mostly within a few hours of sunrise and sunset. So I'm often operating in low light conditions. I shot the image below about a week ago at sunrise with the D5000 and af-s 35mm at f/1.8, 1/125s and ISO 200. There was a very light haze in the air but nothing like what shows up in the photo. This is uncropped and not processed in any way and converted to jpeg from the RAW file.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 10-Dec-12 05:15 AM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 10

Richmond, US

I seriously doubt that any camera is going to capture this one better. You were at base ISO. Possibly a tripod might have improved it. Very arguably shooting at a higher ISO might have helped, but you surely could have gotten a good result at 800, even with the d5000.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 10-Dec-12 08:23 AM
4160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 11

Seattle, WA, US

I am with Brian on the tripod suggestion, if you are doing mostly landscapes. Mounted on a tripod, I would have probably shot this scene at the base ISO, f/8, whatever slow shutter speed, with probably bracketing turned on.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Mon 10-Dec-12 11:17 AM
#13. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

Brian and Joseph, this was shot with a tripod. I use a tripod 90% of the time when shooting landscapes, even when the light is much brighter. So that's not the problem. It is probably not the best image to demonstrate the noise deficiency. This one probably has more of a dynamic range problem. It was late when I posted so I went the easy route and picked a recent shot. I'll have to look again and find one that I know for sure exhibits the noise issue. Thanks for the replies.

Scottie

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 10-Dec-12 11:22 AM
28731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 13
Mon 10-Dec-12 11:25 AM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

>Brian and Joseph, this was shot with a tripod.

In that case, my advice would be to shoot at a much slower shutter speed, to allow the use of a smaller aperture.

>This one probably has more of a dynamic range problem

I think a graduated ND filter would help this type of shot more than either a new camera or lens

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Tue 11-Dec-12 02:44 AM
#15. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

Thanks, Brian and evryone. I'm not questioning the capabilities of the D5000. I've captured some great images with it. I'm almost certainly going to buy either the D7000 or the 17-55. I didn't mean to give the impression that I was not satisfied with my current body. I'm just considering an upgrade with either a new body or a new lens. So the question is not if I should buy, it is which would you buy? Thanks again to everyone who took the time to comment.

Scottie

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 11-Dec-12 05:23 PM
1772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 15

Land O Lakes, US

Given the choice I would purchase the D7000 and use it as my primary body. You can keep the D5000 as a backup.

Why would you purchase a 17-55 when you already have a 17-70? You'd essentially be replicating what you already have. What would it buy you?

The D7000 will give added capability and a proven, realiable body.

Tom

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Tue 11-Dec-12 08:47 PM
#17. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 16

Lexington, US

Thanks, Tom. That's the way I'm leaning.

"Why would you purchase a 17-55 when you already have a 17-70? What would it buy you?"

Constant 2.8 aperture at all focal lengths and from what Ive read, much better image quality and superior build quality. After reading the responses here, though, it doesn't seem worth the price premium. I think I'd be better served purchasing the D7000 and starting a fund for FX lenses for future upgrade.

Scottie

Tucsonmr2 Registered since 08th Nov 2012Wed 12-Dec-12 12:21 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 17

AU

Have you considered the tamron 17-55 f2.8 NON vc version???
its got good reviews and as such there may be an option where you could get the D7000, then sell the D5000 and get the tamron with the money you made from selling the D5000

cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80080326@N04

singlerosa Silver Member Charter MemberWed 12-Dec-12 02:38 PM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 18

St. Louis, US

I'd get the lens. At less than $900, you're not going to take much of a hit if you resell it later to move to FX. And, while the idea of 2 bodies sounds interesting, it makes most sense when the two bodies are the same. These cameras are complex (as you probably know) and learning them takes time. Switching between two different cameras can get confusing. When I got my D7K, I kept my D100 for a while, thinking it could help cut down on lens swaps. But the two cameras were so different that the only real use for the D100 would be as a backup if the 7000 bit the dust. So I sold the D100. I have the 17-55 and love it. I bought it after trying a 24-70 for a couple of weeks and decided that I needed more room on the wide end.

I also have no need to consider FX (I might want FX, like I want a Ferrari), but as a hobbyist there's no way I can justify the money and the sacrifice of added distance on my long lenses

Jim Singler D7K with a bunch of lenses and other assorted stuff

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Fri 14-Dec-12 03:39 AM
#21. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 19

Lexington, US

Thank you, Jim. Yours is a compelling argument for the lens.

Scottie

hyalite Basic MemberWed 12-Dec-12 05:44 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 0

US

"which would you get and why?"

Without a blink, the D7000. You are well equipped in the lens department. Yes, the D7000 will produce better images than the D5000, but also consider just some of the shooting and handling features of the D7000:

Pentaprism 100% viewfinder; -Superior autofocus; -meter functions with manual focus lenses; U1,U2 modes; external controls for fast operation; dual card slots; read the Nikon USA tech specs for more. For your action photography, the D7000 will take your photography to another level. Shooting on CH (Continuous High), will fill the buffer quickly, so your strategy may include burst shooting, and shooting large Jpegs for action.

With my D7000, I use the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 that I purchased with my D80. The main advantages that the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 holds over the Tamron are superior build quality, and superior autofocus -- a definite advantage in low-light shooting environments.

My Nikonians Gallery

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Fri 14-Dec-12 03:43 AM
#22. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 20

Lexington, US

Thanks for commenting, Christopher. Good food for thought. I'm really going to have to sit down and weigh the pros and cons of each.

Scottie

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 15-Dec-12 10:29 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: What Would You Do"
In response to Reply # 22
Sat 15-Dec-12 10:35 PM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

The 17-55mm is a terrific lens but a bit of a brick - given the way FX prices are tumbling I'd avoid DX lenses if you are even vaguely thinking about going FX, and just now Nikon are giving great deals on FX cameras so the temptation to got to FX will grow.

So personally I'd wait for the new D7000 replacement body, as the D90 is pretty good, and your lenses already have a good coverage too.

Or maybe think about a ballhead upgrade so that you have the confidence to use lower shutter speeds and enable smaller apertures. I suspect you'd enjoy using a Markins M10 or something similar.

And if you're really after shooting landscapes with high dynamic range, maybe think about a D600 should prices continue to tumble after Christmas, though that would leave you with some lens issues, as you are have quite a lot of DX glass.

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22509 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.