Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22487
View in linear mode

Subject: "ISO performance" Previous topic | Next topic
MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sat 08-Dec-12 07:12 AM
3232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ISO performance"

Camberley, GB

I'm on a promise from my lovely wife that Father Christmas will be bringing me a D7000/18-105 kit to replace my trusty old D50.

Just a quick question. From reports I've read I understand that ISO performance is very good and noise levels at higher ISOs are pretty good.
I like to shoot old building interiors like churches. Typically this is done handheld. In real world shooting performance what do you think I'm likely to be able to bump ISO levels up to?
With my D%) with ISO starting at 200 I usually only go up to 400 and occasionally 800 but never above that.
Any thoughts on what I might be able to get away with using the d7000?

Thanks
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ISO performance
briantilley Moderator
08th Dec 2012
MasterDabber Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
elec164 Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
Tex09 Silver Member
14th Dec 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
08th Dec 2012
08th Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
08th Dec 2012
08th Dec 2012
gfinlayson Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
09th Dec 2012
09th Dec 2012
Reply message NIKON D7000 HIGH ISO PERFORMANCE...
ORTHOZAC Silver Member
10th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: NIKON D7000 HIGH ISO PERFORMANCE...
Lissajous Silver Member
10th Dec 2012
11th Dec 2012
Lissajous Silver Member
11th Dec 2012

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 08-Dec-12 08:22 AM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ISO performance"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

The D7000 is aroiund 3 stops better the the D50 in high-ISO performance. If you're happy with the D50 at 800, you'd likely be OK at 6400 with a D7000

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sat 08-Dec-12 08:48 AM
3232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ISO performance"
In response to Reply # 1

Camberley, GB

Thanks Brian, that's the kind of confirmation I was hoping for.
This will help a lot as often is impracticle or socially unacceptable to start setting up a tripod. I'm guessing that I wouldn't need more than 3200.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 08-Dec-12 10:16 AM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ISO performance"
In response to Reply # 2

US

As Brain said, you should be pleased with the increase in ISO performance.

I came up from a D80 which has similar performance as your D50.

If you want to see some examples, I took some high ISO shots during my clubs Indoor Obedience Trials in between my stewarding duties to try and hone my action shot skills.

Thie training facility is poorly lit necessitating high ISO and hair pulling out WB issues!!!

This was taken at ISO 2200

http://www.pbase.com/elec164/image/147004513

And this at ISO 6400

http://www.pbase.com/elec164/image/143497888

Hope this helps.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Tex09 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Dec 2012Fri 14-Dec-12 06:14 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: ISO performance"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Nice shots. Just got my D7000 today. Good shots at high ISOs is one of the reasons I bought it.

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sat 08-Dec-12 11:30 AM
1771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: ISO performance"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Derek,

I capture images all the time at ISO 1600 and don't think twice about it. The D7000 performs extremely well at 1600, so I would imagine that going to 3200 or 6400 is going to yield very acceptable images.

Have fun with your D7000.

Tom

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sat 08-Dec-12 12:28 PM
#5. "RE: ISO performance"
In response to Reply # 4

Camberley, GB

Thanks Pete and Tom for the feedback and examples. I think it's going to give me what I'm looking for.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 08-Dec-12 01:30 PM
6101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: ISO performance"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

If your shots are typically of static subjects (no people in the old buildings), you'll have another big advantage. Your profile suggests you aren't presently using any lenses with VR. The 18-105 is a VR lens that will allow you to shoot at much slower shutter speeds than with the non-VR lenses you have now. That will allow you to use lower ISO values. Coupled with the dramatically better high-ISO performance of the D7000, I think you are in for a delightful experience!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sat 08-Dec-12 02:12 PM
#7. "RE: ISO performance"
In response to Reply # 6

Camberley, GB

Jon. What a very good point. My day is getting better by the minute.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sat 08-Dec-12 09:43 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: ISO performance"
In response to Reply # 7

Maidenhead, GB

This was shot at ISO3200, with no noise reduction in post:

If you get the exposure right, the D7000 is capable of excellent results at high ISO settings.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 09-Dec-12 03:06 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: ISO performance"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

Congratulations on your forthcoming new D7000. I am sure you will find it a nice upgrade from your D50.

Rocky

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sun 09-Dec-12 01:06 PM
#10. "RE: ISO performance"
In response to Reply # 9

Camberley, GB

Thanks for posting that graeme... very nice, great noise performance.

Thanks Rocky, I'm sure I will.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

ORTHOZAC Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Sep 2009Mon 10-Dec-12 01:30 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "NIKON D7000 HIGH ISO PERFORMANCE..."
In response to Reply # 0

ZACATECAS, MX

Hello Derek, good evening: You are going to love the performance of the D7000 sensor in low light situations... I would like to share some images with you showing what kind of expectations you would be able to tackle with your new camera... please step into my gallery and open the Finding Nemo challange and please have a glimpse of what you would be able to do with your new gear... almost all shots were taken with ISO's of 800 and above, opinions and tips are always welcome... ENJOY!

Lissajous Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2011Mon 10-Dec-12 06:05 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: NIKON D7000 HIGH ISO PERFORMANCE..."
In response to Reply # 11

Gosford, AU

Sounds like you are gonna be pretty well covered on ISO with the VR lens. But if you needed to push further without a tripod, have you considered a monopod? Relatively quick and unobtrusive setup. I've been considering getting one myself.

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Tue 11-Dec-12 09:34 AM
#13. "RE: NIKON D7000 HIGH ISO PERFORMANCE..."
In response to Reply # 11
Tue 11-Dec-12 09:37 AM by MasterDabber

Camberley, GB

ORTHOZAC, Thanks for your reply. I've just looked at your Finding Nemo gallery. I think they are great and they illustrate the low noise on the D7000 very well! Thanks

Lissajous, I hadn't really thought about a monopod but it might be worth considering in the future. I guess I'll see how I get on once I've got my hands on the D7000.
I seem to be reasonably successful with keeping still when handholding with my old D50 so with the performance gains on the D7000 i'm hopeful.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Lissajous Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2011Tue 11-Dec-12 10:41 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: NIKON D7000 HIGH ISO PERFORMANCE..."
In response to Reply # 13

Gosford, AU

>I seem to be reasonably successful with keeping still when
>handholding with my old D50 so with the performance gains on
>the D7000 i'm hopeful.

Yeah, somehow I've always gotten by without. Even before VR. When pushing the limits I just take many more exposures so I can discard the blurred ones. Three deep breaths and hold the last while you shoot helps too. Doesn't work for sports but for indoor architecture where the scene is static I never cease to be amazed at what a dozen attempts can achieve. Even one second exposures can work handheld. Of course, you don't really know what you have until you later get a chance to check on a big screen but I've had some amazing results by just taking many frames. Not a reliable solution I know but sometimes...

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22487 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.