Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22447
View in linear mode

Subject: "EN-EL15 Replacement" Previous topic | Next topic
Tex09 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Dec 2012Mon 03-Dec-12 06:56 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"EN-EL15 Replacement"

US

What is a reliable replacement for the Nikon EN-EL15? Adorama lists the Nikon battery for $58.95, and the Lenmar for $49.95. Is Lenmar reliable?

Thanks a bunch!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: EN-EL15 Replacement
RLDubbya Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
paul_7e Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
OldCodger
04th Dec 2012
thormx538
04th Dec 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
Tex09 Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
ROD H Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
elec164 Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
gfinlayson Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
09th Dec 2012
jmiguez Silver Member
13th Dec 2012

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Mon 03-Dec-12 08:39 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: EN-EL15 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Honestly, I've heard so much about charging circuitry, etc., not working on 3rd party batteries that I just bought an extra pair of Nikons. Maybe I wasted $20, but that's one less thing I have to worry about.

paul_7e Silver Member Charter MemberMon 03-Dec-12 10:55 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: EN-EL15 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I've always used genuine Nikon batteries on all my cameras, and I have never had any problems. For the difference in price between $58.95 and $49.95 ($9.00) that's pretty cheap insurance.
Paul

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Tue 04-Dec-12 12:27 PM
548 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: EN-EL15 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 2

Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire, GB

I have used after market batteries, though not on my D7000. My experience was not encouraging, one failed so early it might have been DOA. The replacement is still around and still appearing to work but it never gives the correct response to charging.
On balance I would urge the use of makers devices rather than a 'Joe Soap' special.

thormx538 Registered since 05th Jul 2012Tue 04-Dec-12 01:01 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: EN-EL15 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I bought one of those "fully coded" cheapo ones for like $25 on Ebay. It worked fine from a recognition standpoint initially (camera didnt yell at it being 3rd party, battery meter worked, etc), but the battery cells were junk after 3 or 4 charges. Waste of $25. I would have just bought the Nikon one if I could do it over.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 04-Dec-12 02:04 PM
2937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: EN-EL15 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I have never heard of a Lenmar. I would certainly not buy an unknown quality battery just to save $9 on something that has a useful life of a few years. That's false economy. I only buy genuine Nikon parts and especially if it affects the operation of the camera.

Len

Tex09 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Dec 2012Tue 04-Dec-12 07:45 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: EN-EL15 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'm better off sticking with Nikon's battery. Good to know.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 05-Dec-12 12:41 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: EN-EL15 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

You have a really good camera so why try to save a little money with something less than what is recommended?

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

ROD H Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2007Thu 06-Dec-12 01:24 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: EN-EL15 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 7

MELVILLE, US

Nikon, and only Nikon....

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 06-Dec-12 02:23 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: EN-EL15 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 06-Dec-12 02:24 PM by elec164

US

At the risk of being branded a heritc or worse a pariah,,,, I'll offer you my thoughts.

I have found the EN-EL15 battery more than adequate for my shooting needs. As long as I remember to charge it the night before a heavy shoot, I have only once run it low to the point I was worried.

But when I bought my D80 I quickly found having a second battery was a must. When I went to the local B&M to buy the Nikon EN-EL3, the rep recommended the Promaster replacement. It boasted a 2500mah rating compared to the Nikon 2000mah and was cheaper. At first I was hesitant, but the rep assured me its was every bit as good and backed it with a money back if not satisfied. I have since handed all my D80 gear to the granddaughter and some 5 years later the Promaster battery is still plugging along with the Nikon battery without issue.

I'm not familiar with Lenmar, but looking into them, they seem to be a global reputable company. But looking at their replacement battery, it's only 1750mah compared to 1900mah Nikon. So to me the $9 difference is eaten up in available power rating, so in that case it would seem to be a wash and I personally would choose the Nikon.

But I would stay away from the e-bay sub-$20 no brand name specials for many of them are junk.

Just my 2 cents as I put on my flame retardant suit!!!

Pete

Pete

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Thu 06-Dec-12 09:04 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: EN-EL15 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>At the risk of being branded a heritc or worse a pariah,,,,
>I'll offer you my thoughts.
>
Damn, it's Pariah Pete.

Actually, you make a good point. I just asked my MotherInLaw what the spare battery is for the D5000 I gave her when I upgraded, and it's a ProMaster. I used the ProMaster and the Nikon interchangeably in the 5000 for quite some time, and never had a problem.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sat 08-Dec-12 10:54 AM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: EN-EL15 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 10
Sat 08-Dec-12 11:26 AM by gfinlayson

Maidenhead, GB

Another very reputable third party battery brand is Blumax. I used to use their EN-EL3e batteries when I owned a D700 - they were every bit as good as the genuine Nikon batteries.

I haven't tried their D7000 batteries yet - they had difficulties manufacturing them for a while, which I suspect was related to decoding the EN-EL15.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 09-Dec-12 02:58 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: EN-EL15 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

I agree with those who advise using Nikon brand batteries. If for no other reason, there is the following statement on page xvii of the D7000 User's Manual regarding the warranty:

"The use of non-Nikon electronic accessories could damage the camera and may void your Nikon warranty. The use of third-party rechargeable Li-ion batteries not bearing the Nikon holographic seal shown at right could interfere with normal operation of the camera or result in the batteries overheating, igniting, rupturing, or leaking."

Rocky

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Thu 13-Dec-12 12:56 AM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: EN-EL15 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 12

Lafayette, US

Well, I guess I am a heretic too. When I bought my D7000, I ordered a second battery from the vendor. It was a non Nikon, and I don't remember who made the spare battery? However, it is still working over two years later. I charge it along with the Nikon battery and run both together. One in the camera and the other in the non-Nikon grip.

In my D700, I have the same setup. I purchased it second hand and it came with a Nikon battery and a non Nikon battery. Both batteries work just fine.

I agree however, stay away from the eBay batteries. Buy a spare from a local camera shop or one of the well known big internet Camera stores.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22447 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.