Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22365
View in linear mode

Subject: "Glad I got the Nikon MB-D11 Grip" Previous topic | Next topic
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Tue 27-Nov-12 10:40 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Glad I got the Nikon MB-D11 Grip"

Phoenix, US

I had been doing some time lapse sequences on my trip this year to the Glen Canyon and I had it set up down by the river during the afternoon as the clouds were spectacular. A whirlwind whipped through and tilted over my camera. The rocks took out the lens hood, broke the filter ring and the focus ring is now locked up at infinity. There's a chip in the glass, too. I had it taking a shot every 10 seconds and after about 30 minutes I noticed the tripod was no longer standing. I'm so glad that the camera did not fall into the river. Later I realized my battery in the grip was not being utilized. but the shutter and AE AF buttons worked correctly. I thought the grip was a casualty now as well.

Since it's out of warranty I decided to do some open heart surgery and see what I could find. After some poking around and testing I saw that the two contacts on either side of the connector were not getting pushed in all the way when the grip was attached even though I had it tightened down all the way. I saw then that the plate where the locking wheel drives the screw into the camera body tripod socket had been bent during the fall. I took it apart and flattened it back out, reassembled and now it works as good as new.

I'm sure if I had the plastic version something would have snapped from the force of the fall but with the metal version I was able to do some quick repair work and get back to shooting.

I know it is not quite as stable with the grip attached when on a tripod but I needed the extra battery capacity for some of the long night shot sequences.

Here is the time lapse movie from the incident.
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=426&topic_id=156&mesg_id=156&page=

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

M0ttyB0y Registered since 24th Mar 2013Sun 24-Mar-13 08:24 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Glad I got the Nikon MB-D11 Grip"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I would use my home insurace and get it replaced

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 24-Mar-13 01:50 PM
756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. " Glad I got the Nikon MB-D11 Grip"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

A sad story, Dean. My MB-D11 grip is one month old and a joy.

About the same time I got it, I was in a quite large camera store in Hollywood and I asked one of the sales guys a question about upgrading my 1980-vintage Gitzo tripod. It weighs about 16 lbs. The store guy told me my unit was more stable and less likely to blow over in the wind than something lighter.

"Just don't climb any mountains with it", he added. So true. Movie people know that heavy clunker tripods are preferable.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22365 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.