Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22317
View in linear mode

Subject: "Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
leonardevens Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011Sat 24-Nov-12 09:02 PM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"
Sat 24-Nov-12 09:09 PM by leonardevens

US

I currently have a Nikon D90 with two lenses, a Nikkor 18-200 mm and a Sigma 10-20 mm.

This is my third Nikon DSLR, having had a D70 and a D80, which I gave to two granddaughters.

I consider myself primarily a large format photographer, but in recent years I've used my Nikon D90 much more than I've used my view camera.

I work under Linux, and previously I used gimp, which I got pretty good at. Recently, I've been shooting raw mostly and processing the results with darktable, but I haven't mastered it yet.

I haven't made much use of the D90's video capability.

Most of my photography might not benefit much from a Nikon D7000, but its higher resolution would help in architectural photography, one of my interests.

I have another grandchild I could give my D90 to, but I would have to buy a lens for it.

Should I upgrade to a Nikon D7000, keeping my current lenses? What do you think?

Leonard Evens
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?
jdphotos
24th Nov 2012
Newondigital
25th Nov 2012
William Symonds
25th Nov 2012
William Symonds
24th Nov 2012
km6xz Moderator
25th Nov 2012
Hanso Silver Member
25th Nov 2012
leonardevens Silver Member
26th Nov 2012
William Symonds
26th Nov 2012
poc
27th Nov 2012
torwood Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
leonardevens Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
mjhach Silver Member
28th Nov 2012
km6xz Moderator
28th Nov 2012
William Symonds
28th Nov 2012
Alexcorral
27th Dec 2012

jdphotos Registered since 12th Jun 2012Sat 24-Nov-12 09:54 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Dear Professor, for architectural photography, I would say you might want wider angle most of time. If so, a DX camera would tie your hands sometime. Another DX camera wouldn't help in this matter either. If now I had a D90, I would wait for a better FX body instead. Even though I love my D7000 very much, I actually thought about selling it and get a D90 and then wait for a better FX body. But suddenly the price of D7000 dropped by 200 dollars. Well now I have to hold it, of course,with loving it.

Newondigital Registered since 10th Nov 2012Sun 25-Nov-12 07:42 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"
In response to Reply # 1

HN

Mine is not a "reply" that would clear Professor Leonard doubts in a direct way but, taking it from the two direct replies that he has received, why not a Nikon D600 would be a better camera for his purpose that a D90 or D7000 or any other replacement of the D7000, that is: an FX body would be a better tool for obtaining the results he wants. Even more so considering the price the D600 has now. The lenses he has would be usable in the D600, right?

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 25-Nov-12 07:49 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"
In response to Reply # 1

Bogor, ID

Although either lens (10-20mm and 18-200mm) could be used on D600 it would be in DX crop mode, which rather defeats the point of a FX body.

Were the Professor to go FX he would - in all reality - need to renew his entire lens collection.

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 24-Nov-12 10:12 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bogor, ID

If it's resolution that you seek the D5200 and D3200 both have 24mp, and the runes are that the D7000 is due for replacement fairly soon, though whether Nikon replace the D7000, the D300s or both is anyone's guess.

You may want to wait a while and see what emerges.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 25-Nov-12 08:50 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Do you have a budget that you would like to stay within? It is true that the FX D600 would be better for architecture, the D7000 is a very capable camera and a bargain right now. If the budget is there, a perspective control lens like the Nikon 24 PC-E to get View Camera flexibility to eliminate geometric distortion.
A D7000 for well less then $1000 now and a used 24 PC-E would be a good combination but not wide enough for closer in subjects. That would be the real benefit of the D600 with that lens, it would be wide enough. It would also have wider dynamic range and color depth.
The D7000 is a real step up with some pro-features but it sounds as if you would benefit more than most people moving from Dx to Fx.
Nikon has been claiming it does not work on the D800 and presumably, niether on the D600 but users are reporting excellent results. Further questioning of Nikon revealed their statement that it does not work is due to camera control of the aperture not working. That is not the case with the D7000, D300, D3, D700, D800 and D600 and most Nikon film bodies, which work very well with it.
Here is a thread that should be of interest regarding the compatibility of the lens:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=12959&mesg_id=12959&listing_type=&page=

You can also simular some degree of geometric correction in post proccessing but it is has adverse effect on effective detail resolution
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Hanso Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Sep 2006Sun 25-Nov-12 03:04 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Swarthmore, US

I had the D80, then the D90 and for past couple of years the D7000: the upgrade is impressive! Like you, I have the Nikkor 18-200 which works well on the D7000. I do have a 1.8 prime lens to complement the 18-200. I take lots of architectural and landscape, but also animals (Africa, Galapagos -- and backyard birds). The price of the D7000 is low right now. My only complaint, if it is one, is that the camera is heavier than the D90, but then it is much more of a "beast" than that. Having said that, you can still get superb photos with the D90. As they say, it is more the photographer then the camera! (I also have a Panasonic FZ200 24x zoom camera, which I love! See the Cameralabs.com review of it -- along with the FX600). I toyed with going to the full frame, but I'm happy with D7000 and FZ200 and -- being well into retirement age -- decided to spend the money on other things! Good luck in your decision.

leonardevens Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011Mon 26-Nov-12 09:01 PM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I looked at Thom Hogan's reviews of the D7000, the D3200, and the 18-200 mm zoom lens.

He points out that the D3200 at 24 Mpx has even higher resolution than the D7000. In addition, he says that my 18-200 mm lens strains already at 16 Mpx. So it seems to me, if i accept what he says, that if I consider getting anything, I should consider getting a FX body with at least 16 Mpx and a FX capable lens that can make adequate use of it. But that would cost me more than I am willing to spend on a DSLR at present. Should I, at some point, decide that using a view camera is beyond my physical capability, it might make sense to consider upgrading to an FX format camera and lens, but otherwise I should just stick with my D90, at least for the present.

As Groucho Marx said, old age ain't for sissies. At 79, I am beginning to feel it.

Leonard Evens

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 26-Nov-12 09:09 PM
#8. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"
In response to Reply # 7

Bogor, ID

It's not just the MP: the D7000 will give noticeably cleaner results at higher ISOs, and better dynamic range at any ISO.

Regardless of whether you get a new camera, you could always add a couple of light fast primes that would function either on DX or FX - some are inexpensive too eg any of the Nikkor 50mm lenses. They would be considerably sharper then the 18-200mm, and might accompany you in a subsequent move to FX.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

poc Registered since 08th Jan 2008Tue 27-Nov-12 12:43 AM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"
In response to Reply # 8

Glenview, US

I have owned both D90 and D7000 and would tell you that the D7000 is a definite upgrade from many perspectives. That said, if you are doing what you need with the D90 there is no need to upgrade the camera. That is the logical answer.

However, I feel that my fellow Wildcat deserves a new toy and there are a couple of ways of going about this in a financially responsible manner. To that end I would second Will's recommendation of a couple of prime lenses. Think of the fun you could have with a nice 20mm Nikon lens shooting Deering Library from Sheridan road. By using a fixed focal length lens you will need to explore different angles of composition and your photography will improve. These primes are quite sharp and are built well. You could pick up a used copy for a reasonable price. If you change your mind or if the focal length is not to your liking, sell it and buy another. If, in the long term you decide to switch to FX, you already have some nice lenses to start out with. As I do a lot of hiking, I have switched back to light primes which take up little space and can be placed in your coat pocket. If you have no intention of moving to FX, the 30mm DX version is a great little lens.

Whatever you do professor, get a new toy for yourself. The grandchild will not appreciate it as much as you will.

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Tue 27-Nov-12 06:12 PM
658 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"
In response to Reply # 9

Jefferson Hills, US

I agree. The D7000 is an order of magnitude better than the D90 - in every way: high ISO quality, resolution, AF speed/accuracy, ergonomics, duel memory cards, etc. etc.... I upgraded a year ago from the D90 to the D7000, and haven't even charged the battery in the D90 since. I still use my old D50, though, as it makes smaller image files of things I am not shooting as art. The D7000 can be had pretty cheaply, right now. It's a great bargain, no matter what Nikon does with it's "rumored" replacement.

leonardevens Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011Tue 27-Nov-12 06:25 PM
#11. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

You guys make a good case for getting a D7000. And perhaps it makes sense to get an inexpensive prime lens. But what do you think about Thom Hogan's statement that my 18-200 mm lens will be strained at 16 Mpx? Can I make adequate use of the d7000 with that lens? And how about my Sigma 10-20?

Leonard Evens

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Wed 28-Nov-12 12:36 AM
464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"
In response to Reply # 11

Simcoe, CA

I moved up from the D80 to the D7000 about a year ago now and like torwood said, you will never look back. I have the exact same lenses you have and have to say that the IQ is great from either one. I've included some of my better shots using these. With the D7000 you will encounter some focus issues, not faults, and will have to learn how to work with them. I did send mine in for Autofocus adjustment and its fine now.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)
Attachment #8, (jpg file)
Attachment #9, (jpg file)

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 28-Nov-12 05:28 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"

St Petersburg, RU

It is not bad stopped down in the middle range but there is obvious weakness at FL's greater than 130mm and is pretty mediocre at 200mm wide open. A wide prime, any of them would run circles around the wide end of a 18-200 in terms of distortion, resolving power, light sensitivity, color and contrast. The 10-20 is a very popular lens at 18mm cleanly outperforms the 18-200 but note that it is not great for architecture due to complex distortion. It is probably the most popular landscape lens sold. The type of distortion it exhibits is not a problem for landscapes, only straight lines that run in both horizontal and vertical axis's, like a building. You would notice it before the rest of us since you are working with a view camera what has the ability to shift and tilt the focal plane to correct for wide angle distortion when shooting a subject below or above the center line. All wide angle lenses on DSLRs pose this problem to some degree, which is why PC lenses were developed. For me, my widest quality prime is the 24 1.4 so I am in search of a good 12 to 16 prime if my budget could afford it. There is a cheap 14 2.8 MF (for the Fx D800) that would fit the bill for only $429 for the version that has a Nikon focus confirm chip installed. For DX,(D7000) I will continue to use the Sigma 10-20 3.5
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 28-Nov-12 05:53 AM
#14. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"
In response to Reply # 13
Wed 28-Nov-12 07:59 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

Stan

The Korean 14mm mf prime (aka Samyang, Rokinon etc ) followed me home recently and it is an exceptionally sharp lens.

The chip allows you to use P and S modes, as well as the full capabilities of matrix metering.

Incidentally on the D600 the electronic rangefinder works with unchipped lenses, though the D7000 may differ.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

Alexcorral Registered since 22nd Dec 2012Thu 27-Dec-12 03:04 AM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"

PA

I really like how the 18-200 works with the D7000, at all focal lengths and 16MP. I have only been shooting with it for a week, but got some good shots which I uploaded to my gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22317 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.