Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22297
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 RAW EXIF data: subject distance" Previous topic | Next topic
RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Fri 23-Nov-12 08:54 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 RAW EXIF data: subject distance"

US

I was just checking EXIF data on some shots, and notice that none of the RAW files have the distance to subject filled in. I've checked using CaptureNX, Adobe Bridge CS6, and PhotoMe. I also had shots taken with both a Sigma and Nikkor lens.

I could've sworn that I've referenced this data before, but it was quite some time ago.

Is there a setting someplace I've missed?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 RAW EXIF data: subject distance
Bravozulu Silver Member
24th Nov 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
elec164 Silver Member
24th Nov 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
24th Nov 2012
gfinlayson Silver Member
30th Nov 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
01st Dec 2012
elec164 Silver Member
01st Dec 2012
JosephK Silver Member
01st Dec 2012
Chris Platt Silver Member
01st Dec 2012

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 24-Nov-12 02:13 AM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 RAW EXIF data: subject distance"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

distance doesn't show up in ViewNX2 metadata. And all my Nikon lenses are G versions.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 02-Dec-12 02:57 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 RAW EXIF data: subject distance"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I once read in some of my EXIF data a focus distance of 46218753 meters.

Seriously? That's pert' near 30,0000 miles!

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 24-Nov-12 11:35 AM
1987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 RAW EXIF data: subject distance"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I see the distance data using PhotoME.

It’s listed as unknown in the Camera section, but it is reported in the Manufacture’s Notes under the Lens Data section; although I don’t know how accurate that reported distance is.

Pete

Pete

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sat 24-Nov-12 03:09 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 RAW EXIF data: subject distance"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>I see the distance data using PhotoME.
>
>It’s listed as unknown in the Camera section, but it is
>reported in the Manufacture’s Notes under the Lens Data
>section; although I don’t know how accurate that reported
>distance is.
>
>Pete
>

Well, yep, there it is. I could swear that wasn't there yesterday using PhotoMe.

Thanks Pete.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Fri 30-Nov-12 11:18 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 RAW EXIF data: subject distance"
In response to Reply # 4

Maidenhead, GB

Lightroom used to report subject distance in the EXIF, but doesn't any more without using plug-ins. From my experience though, the figures are substantially inaccurate......

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sat 01-Dec-12 12:44 PM
#6. "RE: D7000 RAW EXIF data: subject distance"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Lightroom used to report subject distance in the EXIF, but
>doesn't any more without using plug-ins. From my experience
>though, the figures are substantially inaccurate......

Thanks. I was pretty sure I had seen subject distance in Bridge at one point.

Point taken on accuracy. I was looking for accuracy of +/- 1 foot at 30 feet or so. I'm practicing longer lens work, and trying to get a handle on DOF working with 400mm.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 01-Dec-12 01:16 PM
1987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 RAW EXIF data: subject distance"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>Point taken on accuracy. I was looking for accuracy of +/- 1
>foot at 30 feet or so.

This isn’t authoritative but base upon my experience but I think the distance is fairly accurate at close focus distances and depending on the lens gets less accurate with increased distances.

As to depending on the lens, for example my Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 from near focus to about 5 feet uses about 2/3 the amount of travel of the focus ring. The next distance reported after 5 feet is 10 feet then to infinity in the last 1/3 travel. I have not checked it thoroughly, but I imagine the reported distance will be fairly accurate in this case up to about 5 feet, than the accuracy getting exponentially worse after 10 feet (small amounts of movement create greater amounts of focus distance change).

Pete

Pete

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 01-Dec-12 06:51 PM
4191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 RAW EXIF data: subject distance"
In response to Reply # 7

Seattle, WA, US

My understanding of the distance info is that it is for use in the flash metering. In that case, close distances would be fairly accurate but longer ones not so much since that lower level of accuracy is all the flash system needs.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sat 01-Dec-12 02:59 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 RAW EXIF data: subject distance"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 01-Dec-12 03:04 PM by Chris Platt

Newburg, US

30ft with a 400mm lens should get you accuracy within that 1 foot range. My tests suggest that the reported distance for fairly close objects is quite accurate. 30 ft at 400 mm is very close. I just tried it with a 400mm setting, measuring a 29' 9" distance from the focal plane to a target with a tape measure. I tested with aperture settings from f5.6 to f32 giving DOFs that ranged from about 1/3 foot to 2 feet. I then tested at 100mm from f5 to f25 giving a DOF range from 3 feet to 35 feet. In every shot the exif reported 29 feet. If your target is beyond the hyperfocal distance the focus distance reported won't be the camera to subject distance, but probably something very close to the hyper focal distance (the near limit of the infinite DOF).

Visit my gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22297 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.