Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22291
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why does the preview button lock exposure?" Previous topic | Next topic
rfc143 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2011Fri 23-Nov-12 07:35 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why does the preview button lock exposure?"

US

Whenever I press the function button (Fn), which I have programmed to "preview", it previews the aperature setting ok, but I notice that it locks the exposure too. I've never noticed this before and am curious why it would do that, when you can also program the same button to do just that.

Anyone know?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 23-Nov-12 07:50 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why does the preview button lock exposure?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The metering/exposure needs to be locked when stopping down the aperture for preview mode, because doing it any other way would require re-metering when the aperture is returned to fully open when the preview button is released. You are ready to take the shot as soon as preview is cleared.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rfc143 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2011Sat 24-Nov-12 01:07 AM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why does the preview button lock exposure?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Makes sense. Thanks!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22291 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.