Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22238
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cable to remotely trigger a D7000 with a mobile phone" Previous topic | Next topic
rainbowpython03 Registered since 22nd Oct 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 05:44 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cable to remotely trigger a D7000 with a mobile phone"

Beverly Hills, AU

Hi folks,
I really hope someone has the answer to this. I recently downloaded an Android app that will remotely control my D7000 from my phone.

So here is the problem, I am not sure of the cable to use.

The plug to my Samsung Galaxy S3 is a micro SD

The plug from the D7000 is the GPS style plug (I tried the mini SD socket but it doesnt work)

I can get a male micro SD to female SD (socket)

I am assuming I need a male SD to Male GPS cable.

The only thing I have found has a cable release button on it (MCDC2)

Hopefully someone has been successful.

Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Cable to remotely trigger a D7000 with a mobile pho...
IanCT
20th Nov 2012
mudman2 Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
km6xz Moderator
20th Nov 2012
Reply message Cheap Neewer MC-DC2
hyphotographer
16th Feb 2013
hyphotographer
16th Feb 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
jvmorris Silver Member
11th Mar 2013
Nikon32250 Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
jvmorris Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
DHoff
19th Mar 2013
jvmorris Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
Nikon32250 Silver Member
19th Mar 2013

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Tue 20-Nov-12 06:02 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cable to remotely trigger a D7000 with a mobile phone"
In response to Reply # 0

SF Bay, US

You'll likely need a USB cable, which is the type used to fire the camera by computer control.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Tue 20-Nov-12 02:30 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Cable to remotely trigger a D7000 with a mobile phone"
In response to Reply # 1

Jamison, US

>You'll likely need a USB cable, which is the type used to
>fire the camera by computer control.

agree, Micro USB to Min USB cable

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 20-Nov-12 05:50 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Cable to remotely trigger a D7000 with a mobile phone"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The GPS socket on the D7000 is not a miniUSB, wrong dimensions and contact arrangement, so you will have to find a connector. The easiest way to get a cable and plug is to get one of the cheap eBay passive remote switches and cut off the trigger switch assembly and wire a Micro USB plug(the S3 end) to the 3 wires in the remote cable, or chop off the far end of a Micro USB cable and use wire the free ends of the cannibalized remote cable and the shortened Micro USB cable.

How do you like your S3? I got one, my first smart phone, about 1 month ago and learn something cool about it every day. A great piece of technology. My friends with iPhones are envious.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 16-Feb-13 10:55 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "Cheap Neewer MC-DC2"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Try the Neewer 'Shoot' MC-DC2 for D7000 from Amazon, it costs £2.44 only, compare to around £30 for Nikon MC-DC2.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 16-Feb-13 11:06 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Cable to remotely trigger a D7000 with a mobile phone"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 16-Feb-13 11:08 PM by hyphotographer

GB

How do you match the loose ends of MC-DC2 to the wires from Micro USB cable?

The wires from the cables may have different colours, how would you know which wires are correct match to each other?

Testing time will then be fun to work out different wiring combinations, then guessing if the app on the phone is working correctly or not, when your camera is not responding...

If your phone is connected to D7000 with all this work with Galaxy S3, just to shoot at different period of time, why don't you use the in-camera programmable delayed shooting function?

Also, you can use 'Auto-Firing' with 'Focus-Trap' (see Forum #18732 or search "focus trap D7000") with a remote MC-DC2, which is easier than wiring your phone to D7000.

Do you want to leave your phone and D7000 unattended? Is it safe from thieves? That is too many questions... sorry. I will just let you guys have some fun in wiring a phone to your D7000.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Tue 19-Mar-13 12:14 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Cable to remotely trigger a D7000 with a mobile phone"
In response to Reply # 3

Jamison, US

Stan

How come your not in Cyprus retrieving your gold bars ?

lol

jvmorris Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Mon 11-Mar-13 08:24 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Cable to remotely trigger a D7000 with a mobile phone"
In response to Reply # 0

Reston, US

It wasn't clear how well the preceding was working out for you, so I just thought I'd throw this in, if a bit late.

What you're looking for is an OTG cable for the phone. I got mine from Newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0PG07J6003 for $4.69. You plug the micro jack on this gadget into the micro USB port on the SG SIII. If you can locate it, plug the mini jack on the USB cable you got with the D7000 into the USB port (not the GPS port) on the D7000. (Actually just about any USB cable with a full-size male A coupling at one end and a mini USB at the other is likely to work, which can be nice if you'd like a bit more length (or a bit less!). You plug the A male connector on the camera cable into the A female coupling on the gadget and you're good to go.

Works a treat. (And the gadget amazingly also will work with a USB keyboard and God only knows what else.)

You didn't identify what the software app was that you're using. I'm using Helicon Remote on my SG III. Works nicely for bracketing.

What software do you use for the HDR? I was using Photomatix but recently switched to HDR Darkroom to easily get a bit more realistic HDR merging and tone mapping.

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Tue 19-Mar-13 12:54 AM
3534 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Cable to remotely trigger a D7000 with a mobile phone"
In response to Reply # 6

St. Augustine, US

Am I correct that with a device such as TriggerTrap that your cell phone has to be physically tethered to your camera? What I'd love to find is a device that would let me use my cell phone to trigger my camera which might be 5 miles away.

From time to time I shoot rocket launches from Cape Canaveral where I can set up a camera a couple hundred yards from the launch pad. Naturally one cannot be at the pad during launch! Most people use either a sound trigger or intervalometer to fire the camera. If there was a device where I could just transmit a signal from my phone to the camera just prior to launch that would be amazing.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

jvmorris Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Tue 19-Mar-13 02:56 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Cable to remotely trigger a D7000 with a mobile phone"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 19-Mar-13 05:34 PM by jvmorris

Reston, US

I wasn't familiar with TriggerTrap until you mentioned it; and now all I know is what I've just read in the documentation. However, they claim that they can work via either BlueTooth or Wi-Fi, but the wireless range isn't exactly what I think you'd want for this scenario.

At the moment, we know there are apps (and hardware, sometimes) that allow you to trigger the shutter (and sometimes focus) that range from IR (typically 10 to 15 feet), Bluetooth (up to a max of 30 feet), wireless USB (on a good day, up to 50 feet), and Wi-Fi (up to 300 feet on a very good day).

When we start talking longer ranges, it's time to look for something a bit more sophisticated. Technically, there's no reason why focus/shutter release couldn't be triggered by using a FRS walkie-talkie or wireless (not Wi-Fi) linkage between two smartphones. In the latter instance, it becomes essentially world-wide. Basically, you'd just need the software (including drivers) and hardware and Bob's your uncle.

I look forward to the day when I find a (free ) app that opens up the entire range of communications possibility and one could just select the protocol they'd like to use. Of course, this all comes at a price. Use wired USB (say, less than 15 feet) and you can use a free app for nothing more than the cost of the connecting cables (including a short OTG cable); IR wireless focus/shutter controls can be had for what? -- less than $15. Of course, wireless USB today is going for $300. And the Wi-Fi solutions with which I'm familiar require a second smart phone. (Luckily, I've got that covered.)

Most of these apps support far more than just focus/shutter release, including a spectrum of capability to manage basic camera settings wirelessly, real-time Live View, and remote transfer of the captured images (and sometimes video). Heck, it looks like Swivl would even give you pan and tilt capability ($300 again, over a limited range).

Personally, I'd be happy with a reliable, reasonably high speed solution over the 300 foot distance, but I think you probably would like a bit more.

I've just found DSLR Dashboard (a free Android app) and downloaded it and am beginning to play with it to see just what it will do. Unfortunately, I've not yet seen a practical (read that inexpensive) solution to the problem when we start talking miles.

DHoff Registered since 10th Oct 2007Tue 19-Mar-13 10:32 PM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Cable to remotely trigger a D7000 with a mobile phone"
In response to Reply # 9

Lynchburg, US

You are talking about an RF device within a short distance of the launch pad? I would think that they would frown on that. You could use a cheap disposable phone to trigger it with a little glue logic to make the interconnect. Actually and Arduino with a cellular shield (add on board) would probably work. I am sorry I don't have the time right now to work out the details on this but I am pretty sure it would work. Here is a pinout of the cabling http://www.doc-diy.net/photo/remote_pinout/

jvmorris Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Tue 19-Mar-13 11:30 PM
#11. "RE: Cable to remotely trigger a D7000 with a mobile phone"
In response to Reply # 10

Reston, US

Well, the Canaveral scenario is Graham's not mine. I can certainly see how there could be concerns or restrictions on RF in this area now that you bring it up. Still, I suspect there's a lot of RF around the launch site, including cell phones, so I really don't know.

Apparently DSLR Dashboard already has a tethered smartphone solution and I understand that Helicon Remote is working on one. DSLR Dashboard also has a sound trigger available and, if there's one thing we know, there's lots of sound available at launch time.

And now I want to take a look at that wiring diagram.

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Tue 19-Mar-13 11:55 PM
3534 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Cable to remotely trigger a D7000 with a mobile phone"
In response to Reply # 11

St. Augustine, US

I really don't want to try using any device with RF because, as mentioned, the USAF and NASA do not take kindly to use of these instruments so close to the launch pad. I have to use a self contained solution which either means a sound trigger or an intervalometer. The downside with the latter is that the camera will start shooting even if the launch in aborted. I'd wind up with a memory card full of identical images of a static rocket sitting on the pad. The advantage of the timer is that it is virtually foolproof and will pretty much 100% guarantee that you will get images. With sound triggers there is always the chance that it malfunctions.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22238 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.