Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22198
View in linear mode

Subject: "Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 18-Nov-12 03:40 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"

Los Angeles, US

We ought to be grateful for myriad of options in customizing the Preview/Fn/AE-AF Lock buttons. But as you all know, DSLR also throws a number of tasks at you never seen with film cameras. There is a lot to look at before snapping off shots.

I was wondering how others dial in a function for the DOF button? Mine is on default, stopping down the lens when pressed. I find that I don't take advantage of it and would like to configure something that would speed up or enhance my shots. FV Lock, Flash Off, Bracketing?

Of course this button would work along with the Fn and AE-AF/Lock. I have those set to Spot Meter and Back Button Focus (AF-On). This last setting has made sweeping changes in the way I shoot.

thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?
four eighty sparky Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
SheriB Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
William Symonds
19th Nov 2012
19th Nov 2012
jdphotos
23rd Nov 2012
Trinurse
26th Nov 2012
27th Nov 2012
Trinurse
27th Nov 2012
km6xz Moderator
24th Nov 2012
William Symonds
24th Nov 2012
km6xz Moderator
24th Nov 2012
William Symonds
24th Nov 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
26th Nov 2012
JosephK Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
jdphotos
24th Nov 2012
William Symonds
25th Nov 2012
sabbey51 Silver Member
30th Nov 2012
sabbey51 Silver Member
30th Nov 2012
William Symonds
30th Nov 2012
sabbey51 Silver Member
30th Nov 2012
esandy Silver Member
24th Nov 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
09th Dec 2012

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 18-Nov-12 07:04 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 18-Nov-12 07:05 PM by four eighty sparky

US

I set mine for DOF preview most of the time.

On occasion, I will reprogram it for a specific shoot (usually Spot Meter), then set it back.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sun 18-Nov-12 07:26 PM
1614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I also set mine for default as that is what I was used to that button being for with my film camera, an FE2.I do tend to use it, more so when shooting macro/close up.

Sheri Becker

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 12:24 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 19-Nov-12 02:49 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

I use it as the DOF button, I've always had and used one, and generally set the FN button on the D600 to "My Menu" which I find incredibly useful.

For my U2 sports mode - which is set for JPEGs - I use the FN button as a RAW button, in case I want to take a shot in RAW.

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 19-Nov-12 02:22 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>
>For my U2 sports mode - which is set for JPEGs - I use the FN
>button as a RAW button, in case I want to take a shot in RAW.
>

I use the U1 and U2 for 9-frame HDR.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

jdphotos Registered since 12th Jun 2012Fri 23-Nov-12 03:22 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I also use it on default DOF. Honestly, I haven't used it much.

Trinurse Registered since 22nd Oct 2008Mon 26-Nov-12 08:33 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 4

Torrington, US

How do you get 9 frame bracketing on the D7000?

>>
>>For my U2 sports mode - which is set for JPEGs - I use the
>FN
>>button as a RAW button, in case I want to take a shot in
>RAW.
>>
>
>
>
>I use the U1 and U2 for 9-frame HDR.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Tue 27-Nov-12 08:02 AM
#16. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 13
Tue 27-Nov-12 08:06 AM by four eighty sparky

US

>How do you get 9 frame bracketing on the D7000?
>

You only need to make three quick adjustments to your camera before shooting:
(1) set the Mode to A
(2) set the Release mode to CH
(3) set Bracketing to 3F in 1.0 EV increments.

To set up U1 and U2 for a 9-frame bracket spaced 1 EV apart (YOU ONLY DO THIS ONCE):
* Set mode dial to A (Aperture priority)&
* Set Shutter release mode = CH (continuous high speed)
* Custom setting e6 -> Bracketing order = Under, Meter, Over;
* ISO = Auto
* Bracketing = 3F in 1.0 EV increments
* turn the Exposure comp dial to -3 EV
* Setup Menu -> Save user settings -> U1
* turn the Exposure comp dial to +3EV
* Setup Menu -> Save user settings -> U2
You are done setting up U1 and U2. Be sure to set Exposure comp dial back to 0 EV, set bracketing to 0F, and set the Shutter release mode to whatever you normally keep it at.

Now say you stumble on a scene that calls for HDR.
(1) Set the Mode to A
(2) set Bracketing to 3F in 1.0 EV increments
(3) set the release mode to CH.
Now press the shutter release button three times:
(1) once with Mode dial set to U1
(2) once with Mode dial set to A
(3) once with Mode dial set to U2
This creates nine exposures in the following order (relative to normal exposure):
-4EV -3EV -2EV -1EV 0EV +1EV +2EV +3EV +4EV.
After shooting, review the histograms and possibly select a subset of the nine shots, deleting others.
The procedure is similar for setting up a 5-frame bracket, and is easy to figure out once you understand the 9-frame setup.

Visit my website.

Trinurse Registered since 22nd Oct 2008Tue 27-Nov-12 05:01 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 16

Torrington, US

Holy Cow! This is friggin ingenious. Awesome! I'm just borrowing the D7000 while my D300s is in the shop but will try it tomorrow morning.
Thanks,

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 24-Nov-12 07:53 AM
3297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

For my style of shooting I changes the AE/AF-L button to AF-On, the DOF preview button to My Menu with the top slot set as Auto ISO on/off and the Fn button is now the AE-L function.
AE-L is very useful and I need both AF-On and AE-L so this arrangement actually be more effective than on my D800 which has separate buttons next to each other on the back of the camera. By using thumb for the AF-on and index finger in the natural grip position for pressing the Fn(now AE-L) requires less feeling for the difference between buttons as on the closely set buttons on the D800. Using AE-L is essential for control of metering when recomposing or many other scene types. Having both needed buttons so handy when set up this way, I wonder why is it not default and use another button location for Fn.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 24-Nov-12 08:08 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 6

Bogor, ID

Stan

Forgive the daft question - when do you find you need AF on - can't you just touch the shutter release?

Cheers

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 24-Nov-12 08:38 AM
3297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 7

St Petersburg, RU

Almost every one who has switched to the AF-on control of the AF start has stuck with it. There are many reasons. One, it separates the AF function from the shutter release so leaving a camera on AF-C mode allows complete control of the AF. A static object is focused on using the AF-on and released as soon as focus is obtained. Releasing the button locks AF and you can recompose, re-meter etc and fire the release was desired. With a moving object, AF-C tracks as long as the AF-button is down.
On the D7000, AF-on does not start VR but on the new pro cameras it does(one reason battery life from a D800 is not as good as hoped). For action, the AF can be kept tracking while until the release is pressed just by holding your thumb on the AF-On button. Setting AF-C release mode to Focus means it will not fire until the subject is focus locked, but setting it to "Release" means it is ready to trigger immediately when the shutter is pressed, without waiting to refocus as in the case with using the release button for both focus and release. With holding the AF-On button, it is already focus locked so a new AF cycle is not needed. Sports and action shooters will be faster camera response that way.
All pro cameras have a dedicated AF-on button because it is the preferred mode of focusing for most action, wedding and event shooters.
It takes a few hours to become accustomed to using another button for AF initiation but after that few people ever switch back to release button AF start. The only time it is a problem is when allowing others to try your camera, unless they are familiar with the concept they will end up with blurry images. But that is OK also.....they will have more respect for your in-focus images;>)
The only downside for using AF-C as default mode is in low light the AF assist light is not active. The visilble white light from the camera AF assist is not usually desired but the patterned, modulated IR assist light from the SB900 etc, shoe mounted flash IS desired most of the time. So I set one of User banks to low light AF-S for flash work, which also switches to M exposure mode, which is always used for flash when it is the dominate light source. A and S mode work fine in TTL BL mode for dealing with back-lighting and good ambient fill light from flash.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 24-Nov-12 08:59 AM
#9. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 8

Bogor, ID

Stan

Thanks.. I will think on that and give it a try.

I tend to stick with AFS most of the time, but I can now see how that might help especially when action is involved. I'd prefer not to lose the DOF button though, and I use My Menu on the other button in much the same way as you - it launches into ISO control.

Cheers

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Mon 26-Nov-12 10:25 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

>On the D7000, AF-on does not start VR but ...

Based on what I've read, the D7000 starts VR by pressing the shutter release button, regardless of whether you've mapped AF-ON to the back button. Correct?

If so, is there any practical downside to this? For example, is there a chance that since focus has already been acquired via the back button, that somehow VR won't acquire in time for the faster response? Or does VR acquisition complete no matter what, potentially negating any faster response? What about the VR stabilized display in the viewfinder as well?

Thanks.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 27-Nov-12 07:16 AM
4153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 14

Seattle, WA, US

>>On the D7000, AF-on does not start VR but ...
>
>Based on what I've read, the D7000 starts VR by pressing the
>shutter release button, regardless of whether you've mapped
>AF-ON to the back button. Correct?

Correct. VR is turned on only by the shutter button.

>If so, is there any practical downside to this? For example,
>is there a chance that since focus has already been acquired
>via the back button, that somehow VR won't acquire in time for
>the faster response? Or does VR acquisition complete no
>matter what, potentially negating any faster response? What
>about the VR stabilized display in the viewfinder as well?

Regardless of which button is doing the focus, VR takes up to 1/2 second to stabilize. You will see this in the viewfinder as the image jumps around. This is why sports shooters always have VR turned off; they cannot have this 1/2 second lag. Plus, at the shutter speeds they are shooting at, VR is not needed.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

jdphotos Registered since 12th Jun 2012Sat 24-Nov-12 04:16 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Gonna try Stan's setting some time. Thanks, Stan.

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 25-Nov-12 12:20 AM
#12. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 10
Sun 25-Nov-12 12:22 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

I really like the greater control over focus. Downside is that it's hard to give the camera to someone else if you apply it universally.

So I'm using it in U1 and U2 modes. It makes them so much more flexible. But for PSAM etc and the Green button I'm leaving it at the default.

Will see how that works after a week.

Thanks again Stan. BTW the various Hogan guides have a good write-up on this.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Fri 30-Nov-12 09:39 PM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 12

Saddle river, US

>I really like the greater control over focus. Downside is
>that it's hard to give the camera to someone else if you apply
>it universally.
>
>So I'm using it in U1 and U2 modes. It makes them so much more
>flexible. But for PSAM etc and the Green button I'm leaving it
>at the default.
>
>Will see how that works after a week.
>
>Thanks again Stan. BTW the various Hogan guides have a good
>write-up on this.
>
>W i l l
>

Not always a disadvantage to NOT be able to hand your camera over

But since DOF is set to My Menu, it's easy to change AF/AE-F if I need to.

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Fri 30-Nov-12 09:39 PM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 12

Saddle river, US

>I really like the greater control over focus. Downside is
>that it's hard to give the camera to someone else if you apply
>it universally.
>
>So I'm using it in U1 and U2 modes. It makes them so much more
>flexible. But for PSAM etc and the Green button I'm leaving it
>at the default.
>
>Will see how that works after a week.
>
>Thanks again Stan. BTW the various Hogan guides have a good
>write-up on this.
>
>W i l l
>

Not always a disadvantage to NOT be able to hand your camera over

But since DOF is set to My Menu, it's easy to change AF/AE-F if I need to.

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 30-Nov-12 10:28 PM
#21. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 20
Sat 01-Dec-12 07:26 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

Yep or you can just press the info button twice and change it using the rear screen.

I like it though it takes a while to get used to it. I have been away sans D600 for a few days, and went out early yesterday morning - clean forgot to use "AF on" and thought the AF screw had jammed!

But really focussing and metering are different tricks and separating them makes so much sense.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Fri 30-Nov-12 09:36 PM
#18. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 6

Saddle river, US

>For my style of shooting I changes the AE/AF-L button to
>AF-On, the DOF preview button to My Menu with the top slot set
>as Auto ISO on/off and the Fn button is now the AE-L function.
>

I'm with Stan - AE/AF to AF-ON, DOF to My Menu.

A friend clued me into AF-ON during a Nikonians workshop two years ago, and I never looked back. It makes focus+reframe SO much easier. I general keep the focus area on a single spot rather than letting the camera guess what I care most about.

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Sat 24-Nov-12 09:21 PM
175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wichita Falls, US

I use it on default DOF, and use it quite often too. I tend to take a lot of close up shots and check to see if my subject is in full focus.

@Will. I soot mostly AFS too and found out the other day once focus is locked you can take the shot and release the shutter button back to half press only, the focus remains locked, VR and metering remain active.

Ed

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 09-Dec-12 03:11 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Your Choice for DOF Preview Button?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 09-Dec-12 03:12 AM by RockyIII

Raleigh, US

I have mine set on the default right now, but at times I have used it for spot metering. I currently use the Fn button for viewfinder virtual horizon. There are too many choices!

Rocky

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22198 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.