Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22188
View in linear mode

Subject: "Exposure while using Flash in Manual Mode" Previous topic | Next topic
viknik Registered since 18th Nov 2012Sun 18-Nov-12 12:01 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Exposure while using Flash in Manual Mode"

IN

Curious to understand how fellow Nikonians use the exposure indicator in Manual Mode while using the internal flash. Does the exposure indicator give the same reading irrespective of the whether the flash is up (active) or not? Is there anyway of estimating (other than trial and error) ,the amount of exposure (EV steps) the flash will provide ?

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 18-Nov-12 01:52 PM
3175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Exposure while using Flash in Manual Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The exposure meter is unaffected by the flash being up; it is metering the ambient light only. To use the flash in manual mode (manual flash mode I'm assuming), you use the guide number of the flash divided by the subject distance to obtain the correct aperture.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

viknik Registered since 18th Nov 2012Sun 18-Nov-12 02:17 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Exposure while using Flash in Manual Mode"
In response to Reply # 1

IN

Thanks aolander.

To clarify further, I am referring to shooting in the M (Manual) shooting mode of the camera. Using the exposure indicator , after one chooses the Aperture and Shutter speed till the right exposure is indicated ( which as you have explained is based on the ambient light), then how does one predict what using a flash will do ? Wouldn't the light added by the flash result in an overexposed picture?So the question is how does one factor in using a flash while setting the Aper& Shutter Speed.. should it be left at a step or two underexposed so that the flash can then "fill in" the remaining light?

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 18-Nov-12 02:35 PM
3175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Exposure while using Flash in Manual Mode"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 18-Nov-12 02:48 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

You don't want to "zero" the ambient light meter when shooting with flash. Even though the camera is in manual exposure mode, the flash will operate in TTL mode (unless you set it differently) and will correctly expose the subject. However, you can adjust the brightness/darkness of the background by selecting different aperture and/or shutter speed settings. If you want to expose the background one stop less than the flash exposure of the subject, adjust your settings until the meter shows underexposure by one stop. Usually, one would select an f/stop to shoot at, then adjust the shutter speed until you obtain the -1 stop. (You have to stay under the maximum sync speed, of course.)

The built-in flash on Nikon cameras operates in TTL-BL mode unless you use spot metering. I would recommend using spot metering in this case so you are in regular TTL mode.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sun 18-Nov-12 03:04 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Exposure while using Flash in Manual Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'd suggest you check out Nikonian Russ MacDonald's blog on CLS. While I know you're doing on-camera flash, much still applies.

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/01/nikon-flash-two-separate-metering.html

This blog really helped me to wrap my mind around what happens with flash photography.

Another good resource is Strobist. But its focus is not on Nikon and CLS, and more on just off-camera flash and controlling light. However, reading through the Lighting 101 tutorial also helped me understand what we're trying to achieve with flash lighting.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22188 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.