Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22175
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aftermarket battery grips" Previous topic | Next topic
OldNavy609 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 17-Nov-12 05:51 PM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aftermarket battery grips"

Albuquerque, US

I just purchased a referbished D7k from Adorama and will receive it this Tuesday. I have been looking at both the Nikon and some aftermarket ones, but am not sure which way I should go. My main concern is the price for the Nikon grip seems to be high. Has anyone used one of the third party grips, and if so, what are your experiences with them and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Good shooting,
Lee

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Aftermarket battery grips
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
17th Nov 2012
OldNavy609 Silver Member
17th Nov 2012
km6xz Moderator
17th Nov 2012
OldNavy609 Silver Member
17th Nov 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
17th Nov 2012
IanCT
18th Nov 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
km6xz Moderator
21st Nov 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
18th Nov 2012
OldNavy609 Silver Member
21st Nov 2012

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Sat 17-Nov-12 06:14 PM
1976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aftermarket battery grips"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 17-Nov-12 06:15 PM by Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US

Lee,

A lot has been written in the various areas of the forum about after market grips. Some of it has been positive, some negative. I remember one person posting pictures of having to dissasemble the grip to get it off the camera after having problems with the mounting hardware. Do a search and you'll get a flavor for the issues that people are having as well as their concerns.

Some conclude that the much lower price justifies the risk. Others think it is a small cost for insurance so that their are no issues with their cameras.

Good luck with your decision.

Bob

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

OldNavy609 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 17-Nov-12 06:45 PM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Aftermarket battery grips"
In response to Reply # 1

Albuquerque, US

Thanks for the input, Bob. I think that I will purchase a decent aftermarket grip and then save toward getting the Nikon grip. I have motor drives on most of my film cameras and like the extra heft. My main concern wasn't so much in how well they functioned, but rather, the durability of the tripod mount as a few of me lenses are the older all metal heavy ones. But none of them are as big and heavy as say the F300 2.8.
Thanks again and good shooting,
Lee

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 17-Nov-12 06:31 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Aftermarket battery grips"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

I have had very good luck with 3rd party grips from 3 different companies for 3 different cameras(D90, 7000, 800) but a few people have had problems such as the battery closure tab is not very strong. Combined, between the 3 cameras however, I have about 120,000 in rough conditions and find the grips accept the abuse possible better than the cameras since they look like new.

A quick search revealed dozens of threads concerned 3rd party grips.

If a 3rd party grip is a goof risk, the answer would probably be best predicted by how rough one is with their other equipment. Do you often break things? I know some people who often complain about weak consumer items and how easy it was to break them. I must be easy on things because there are very few items of any type, from cars to delicate instruments. My ex could break anything, from wine glasses to auto transmissions on almost a daily basis.
The Nikon made unit is part metal and party plastic and the 3rd party grips are entirely plastic.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

OldNavy609 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 17-Nov-12 06:38 PM
#3. "RE: Aftermarket battery grips"
In response to Reply # 2

Albuquerque, US

Thanks, Stan. I try not to break things , but accidents do happen. So far though, I've been very lucky with my cameras. I use them as a hobby, and not professionally, aside from a few portraits and such.
Good shooting and again thanks,
Lee

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sat 17-Nov-12 09:39 PM
1392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Aftermarket battery grips"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I've had a 3-rd party grip for over a year now. I finally broke the battery cover latch completely off a couple months ago. I found a couple small pieces of sticky-backed velcro, strategically placed, serves the same purpose.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Sun 18-Nov-12 07:50 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Aftermarket battery grips"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 18-Nov-12 05:05 PM by IanCT

SF Bay, US

Be weary...I thought I'd save a few bucks and get an aftermarket grip for my D300s, worked fine for a couple months and then in the middle of a shoot the camera wouldn't fire, from the grip release or the camera. I had to remove the grip, take the battery out of the camera and wait a few seconds before powering it back on.

After that I bought Nikon grips ever since. Had the MBD-10 on my D300s for well over a year, no problems...and the MBD-11 on my D7000 is fantastic.

There are little things to look out for on aftermarket grips...build quality being one, but another is that the battery tray does not positively hold the battery with anything other than a friction click. The Nikon brand has a detent in the tray that pops up to hold the battery in place.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 18-Nov-12 02:23 PM
1392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Aftermarket battery grips"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>There are little things to look out for on aftermarket
>grips...build quality being one, but another is that the
>battery tray does not positively hold the battery with
>anything other than a friction click. The Nikon brand has a
>detent in the tray that pops up to hold the battery in place.
>

My 3-rd party grip has the same pop-in feature.

Also, 3-rd party grips may use slightly different battery holders... they're not interchangeable with OEM.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 21-Nov-12 05:59 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Aftermarket battery grips"
In response to Reply # 6

St Petersburg, RU

It is unlikely that the grip had anything to do with the lockup. Did it occur repeatedly with the grip or was it a one time event?
The grip shutter release is a passive switch and would not have any effect on the body's release function. There is no electronics in the grip, just switches and a multi-pin connector and a battery tray connector.
The lock-up is a typical way that the camera behaves with a number of lost connections such as the lens, battery terminals or firmwear crash.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sun 18-Nov-12 02:30 PM
1429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Aftermarket battery grips"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

I've had a 3rd party grip on my D7000 for over a year and 50,000 exposures and I couldn't be happier.

Tom

OldNavy609 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 11:38 PM
#10. "RE: Aftermarket battery grips"
In response to Reply # 8

Albuquerque, US

I went ahead and ordered a Bower grip. Comes with batteries, charger and tray for AA's. I'll let you know what my experiences are with this grip, after I've used it a while.
Good shooting,
Lee

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22175 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.