Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22148
View in linear mode

Subject: "MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue" Previous topic | Next topic
Anton Bruwer Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2012Thu 15-Nov-12 02:42 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
Thu 15-Nov-12 02:44 PM by Anton Bruwer

Johannesburg, ZA

I bought an MB-D11 at our big annual camera show last month and was dissapointed to discover that the EN-EL15 has some movement once mounted in the slide-in tray. The movement is sufficient to make an audible noise when you change the camera's physical orientation from "landscape" to "portrait".

Finally got around to taking it back to the retailer today and another one off the shelf showed exactly the same symptoms.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

To date I have had to wedge the battery with bits of paper to prevent the movement - most irritating and my first Nikon dissapointment...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue
tekneektom Gold Member
15th Nov 2012
gbowen Gold Member
15th Nov 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
15th Nov 2012
esandy Silver Member
15th Nov 2012
Tucsonmr2
15th Nov 2012
Anton Bruwer Silver Member
16th Nov 2012
gbowen Gold Member
16th Nov 2012
Chris Platt Silver Member
16th Nov 2012
gfinlayson Silver Member
16th Nov 2012
Anton Bruwer Silver Member
17th Nov 2012
hawaii502160
17th Nov 2012
pistnbroke
17th Nov 2012
sirraj Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
Tucsonmr2
20th Nov 2012

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Thu 15-Nov-12 03:08 PM
1805 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Anton,

This might sound like a dumb question, but are you placing the battery in the battery holder properly? The battery should be puched forward and a small moveable plastic piece pops up to hold the battery in place. To dislodge the battery you press down on the piece and it frees the battery.

If the battery is loose and moving I doubt that the camera is drawing any power from the battery in the grip and is probably drawing from the "in camera" battery.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Thu 15-Nov-12 04:28 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

I had one, and it did the same thing. Small design flaw. I put a piece of plastic under the battery, secured with tape and that solved the issue.

George

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Thu 15-Nov-12 07:51 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Neither of mine have this problem. In fact, the batteries seem to fit in place quite snugly. I hear / feel no movement from the battery in the grip, whether changing orientation or even shaking the camera.

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Thu 15-Nov-12 08:10 PM
217 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Wichita Falls, US

Mine has a small amount of movement too. I can feel it when I'm gripping the camera while walking or changing orientation.

Ed

Tucsonmr2 Registered since 08th Nov 2012Thu 15-Nov-12 08:49 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
In response to Reply # 4

AU

Ive never had the battery come loose or move around in mine, also as mentioned are you using the locking tab for the battery to hold it in place properly?
i know you said you bought it from a delaer but are you sure its a genuine one?
also i find that if i grab the battery grip and put pressure on it, it flexes a bit and a small gap can be seen between the camera and the grip itself..
cheers

Anton Bruwer Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2012Fri 16-Nov-12 04:51 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
In response to Reply # 5

Johannesburg, ZA

Thank you for all the responses - much appreciated. It is good to know that my problem is not unique.

@ Tom: The battery is properly fitted and locked with the tab. The camera works perfectly with only a battery in the grip.

@ George: This is effectively what the salesperson suggested to me yesterday and is thus what I will do as a fix.

It is definitely a genuine Nikon product and not a lookalike knockoff.

It thus seems to me that this is a classic quality control issue with variable plastic mould tolerances at the manufacturing end in China...

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Fri 16-Nov-12 11:38 AM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
In response to Reply # 5

Canton, US

The one I bought was from B&H, so I know it was genuine, plus it had all the hallmarks of being Nikon and not a fake.

George

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Fri 16-Nov-12 01:53 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

Does it do it with a different battery installed in the grip? I'm wondering if slight variability in battery dimensions could be causing the issue.

Visit my gallery.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Fri 16-Nov-12 05:57 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
In response to Reply # 8

Maidenhead, GB

I've just checked both of mine - there's a small but perceptible amount of play, but nowhere near enough to cause contact issues. Mine are definitely genuine - my original grip was one of the first sold in the UK. Way before anyone was making knock-offs.

Anton Bruwer Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2012Sat 17-Nov-12 02:13 AM
#10. "RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
In response to Reply # 8

Johannesburg, ZA

>Does it do it with a different battery installed in the grip?
> I'm wondering if slight variability in battery dimensions
>could be causing the issue.

The amount of movement is the same with both my EN-EL 15's so this is not the cause.

hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Sat 17-Nov-12 02:03 PM
183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
In response to Reply # 10
Sat 17-Nov-12 02:04 PM by hawaii502160

Cleveland, US

I just bought my MB-D11 a month ago...my battery "rattles" in the tray also. I have 2 Nikon batteries, and they both do it. The battery is "locked" into the tray with the plastic tab, but there is still enough movement to feel and hear the battery shifting around. I was aware of this problem being reported before I bought it, so it didn't surprise me when I found that mine does it.

pistnbroke Registered since 01st Jul 2012Sat 17-Nov-12 02:20 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
In response to Reply # 11
Sat 17-Nov-12 02:25 PM by pistnbroke

GB

my battery is solid in its holder on both the MB 11s I have and no problems ..but then of course they are the $40 knock offs....

If you saw the terrible quality of the little connectors on your EN EL 15 you would not want it moveing ..some packing behind it I guess to keep it fully forward.

sirraj Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Sun 18-Nov-12 12:30 PM
194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
In response to Reply # 12

Minneapolis, US

I can hear the battery moving in my MB-D11. It is a little annoying even though the camera works fine.

Sirraj

Tucsonmr2 Registered since 08th Nov 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 08:30 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: MB-D11 Battery Grip Question / Possible issue"
In response to Reply # 13

AU

Anyone find that the batter is draining faster while in the grip rather than just no grip and in the camera itself
i have found the batter lasted a lot longer when used in the camera itself
now after putting the battery in the grip, i find that its not lastign as long as it used to.

also took the battery out and checked for movement, there is ever so slight movement in the grip tray, but i cant hear it though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80080326@N04

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22148 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.