Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22131
View in linear mode

Subject: "Right Shutter Speed" Previous topic | Next topic
bill unger Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2011Tue 13-Nov-12 09:38 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Right Shutter Speed"

manchester, US

If I am working in Manual mode and set my D7000 to f 5.6 how do I know what the right shutter speed is?
Thanks
Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Tue 13-Nov-12 10:38 PM
476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Right Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 0

Saddle river, US

If by "right" you mean the same shutter speed that the camera would choose in A, S or P mode, then you have a small graph visible at the bottom of the viewfinder shower under or over exposure. You can adjust the shutter to align it appropriately.

If by "right" you mean some other setting to achieve a specific result, then it's a matter of experience.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 13-Nov-12 11:00 PM
3052 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Right Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 13-Nov-12 11:00 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

To add what's already be mentioned, there's a "0" in the middle, a "+" sign at one end, and a "-" sign at the other. Change the shutter speed until the exposure display is "zeroed" (no bars to the left or right of "0").

Alan

Tucsonmr2 Registered since 08th Nov 2012Wed 14-Nov-12 08:50 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Right Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 14-Nov-12 08:52 PM by Tucsonmr2

AU

a little tric that i learnt
set the camera to apperture priority mode (or any of the auto modes might work too, i havent tried this way yet) choose you apperture and fire off a shot of what you want to shoot, then check the setting of the shot by reviweing it and using the scroll down button it will show what shutter speed was used..
then set it to manual and use the setting you just reviewed and go from there (its doesnt always work btw, but you will be somewhere close so you will have to adjust it from there to get what you want)
but the above mentioned method by the others guys will guarentee a better solution.
im also still learning and i find my way of cheating to be usefull if im scratching my head (which happens a lot lol)

cheers

SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Thu 15-Nov-12 04:27 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Right Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 0

MERRIMACK, US

Hi Bill -

What are you trying to accomplish in Manual mode that you could not achieve by using Aperture priority mode and letting the camera choose the shutter speed?

Regards,
Alan

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22131 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.