Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22115
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone else hate the mode dial?" Previous topic | Next topic
gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Mon 12-Nov-12 08:56 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Anyone else hate the mode dial?"

Canton, US

I was out shooting some portraits of my granddaughters and found to my chagrin after shooting a few frames that the mode dial had been moved and I was shooting somewhere between M and U2. Too bad Nikon didn't put a lock on it as they have done with the new D600. Maybe a piece of tape will keep that from happening next time.

Anyone have come up with their own solution to this problem?

George

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?
tekneektom Gold Member
12th Nov 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
12th Nov 2012
gbowen Gold Member
13th Nov 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
19th Nov 2012
km6xz Moderator
12th Nov 2012
mklass Platinum Member
12th Nov 2012
gbowen Gold Member
13th Nov 2012
greenwing Gold Member
13th Nov 2012
mklass Platinum Member
13th Nov 2012
mjhach Silver Member
13th Nov 2012
gbowen Gold Member
13th Nov 2012
mdallie Silver Member
15th Nov 2012
jagabom Silver Member
15th Nov 2012
Rassie Silver Member
15th Nov 2012
larrycurrlymoe Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
jdphotos
22nd Nov 2012
Davidpeter1 Silver Member
22nd Nov 2012
jameskuzman
20th Nov 2012

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Mon 12-Nov-12 10:23 PM
1775 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

It happens to me on occasion. I'll be interested in seeing if there's a good solution developed by any Nikonians!

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 12-Nov-12 11:50 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>It happens to me on occasion. I'll be interested in seeing if
>there's a good solution developed by any Nikonians!
>
>Tom

It's called the D600.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 13-Nov-12 01:34 AM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 2

Canton, US

>>It happens to me on occasion. I'll be interested in
>seeing if
>>there's a good solution developed by any Nikonians!
>>
>>Tom
>
>
>It's called the D600.

*steals the dial off a D600 while nobody is looking*

George

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 19-Nov-12 04:02 PM
3142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

>>It happens to me on occasion. I'll be interested in
>seeing if
>>there's a good solution developed by any Nikonians!
>>
>>Tom
>
>It's called the D600.<<<

I used the shrink tubing and it helped a lot.
Evidently Nikon does monitor these forums
because the D600 now has a lock.

I expect the D7100 will too.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 12-Nov-12 11:50 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

I noticed it a few times after pulling the camera out of the bag. Soon, I developed the habit of scanning the settings before starting to shoot. After those first few times in the first week, I never had it happen again, I suppose because I was more aware of it and pulled it out with more care.
When the D7000 first came out, there were a number of complaints about that but soon everyone must have gotten used to the potential of the mode dial moving, so made sure they checked.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 12-Nov-12 11:57 PM
5864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Yes, it annoying. It moves too easily. The only solutions are either duct tape, glue or checking it frequently.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 13-Nov-12 01:36 AM
#6. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 4

Canton, US

Well, now that I am shooting more I'll have to incorporate checking that dial as part of my precheck.

George

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Tue 13-Nov-12 11:38 AM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 4

Yorkshire, GB

>Yes, it annoying. It moves too easily. The only solutions
>are either duct tape, glue or checking it frequently.
>
Glue would seem to be a little bit drastic. I got roasted once for suggesting that someone could glue an aperture ring at f/22 for all the use it was.

Chris

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 13-Nov-12 11:59 AM
5864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 7

Tacoma, US

>>Yes, it annoying. It moves too easily. The only
>solutions
>>are either duct tape, glue or checking it frequently.
>>
>Glue would seem to be a little bit drastic. I got roasted once
>for suggesting that someone could glue an aperture ring at
>f/22 for all the use it was.
>
>Chris

Perhaps, but it's less drastic than drilling a hole and bolting it in place!

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Tue 13-Nov-12 10:32 PM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 0

Simcoe, CA

Just check it before shooting like some of the other suggestions here say. Sometimes I find that I forget that I used the camera set to remote control and I wonder why it doesn't fire when pressing the trigger button. Oh yeah, the mode is not on single shutter fire!! Doh.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 13-Nov-12 11:03 PM
#10. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 9

Canton, US

>Just check it before shooting like some of the other
>suggestions here say. Sometimes I find that I forget that I
>used the camera set to remote control and I wonder why it
>doesn't fire when pressing the trigger button. Oh yeah, the
>mode is not on single shutter fire!! Doh.

HAHA!!! Wish I had a dime for every time I've done that!

George

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Thu 15-Nov-12 12:47 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 0

Novi, US

It is a really horrible design.

Here is a fix a fellow Nikonian came up with:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=329&topic_id=10665&prev_page=show_topic&gid=10665#10722

Mike

jagabom Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2012Thu 15-Nov-12 07:16 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 11

CA

Like that idea. Might have to try that myself.
Jim
D7K

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 15-Nov-12 09:33 PM
2839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

My mode dial has not yet shifted accidentally since I got my D7000. Maybe because the same thing kept happening with my D90, and I learned to check the settings beofre shooting, especially after taking the camera out of the bag.

Will the mode dial on the D7K shift accidentally sometime? Most likely, but I'm not affected enough by this to let it bother me.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009Tue 20-Nov-12 02:04 AM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 13

Calgary, CA

This has burned me too many times to count, especially lately. When the body was in to Nikon for a potential repair issue I requested that they "tighten it up" if possible. No luck.
I seriously thought about the D600 just for the lock, but I will wait for the 7100, and endure and curse the poor design. I never had an issue with the D80 or D90.
Turbo

larrycurrlymoe: not just a funny moniker, I can't dance either!

turbostrackandtour.blogspot.com

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 20-Nov-12 02:58 AM
3142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 15

Monterey Bay, US

Try the shrink tubing.
It worked for me.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 20-Nov-12 03:14 AM
#17. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 15

Monterey Bay, US

Try the shrink tubing.
It worked for me.

jdphotos Registered since 12th Jun 2012Thu 22-Nov-12 02:14 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 17

US

shrink tubing is pretty smart.

Davidpeter1 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Mar 2004Thu 22-Nov-12 06:18 PM
556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 13

Cardiff, GB

Similar good experience, in nearly a year of use,(minus 6 weeks getting focus fixed with new parts in the repairers) it has never been a problem. I find the dial to have about the right degree of firmness, with nice positive clicks without being stiff. It is left on "A" for most of the time, maybe if I changed it more it would slacken up and be more vulnerable to being turned accidentally.

David.

Cardiff,Britain.

BE A BLOOD + BONE MARROW DONOR TO FIGHT CANCER, YOU MAY SAVE A LIFE.
http://www.nikonians-images.com/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=16427

jameskuzman Registered since 14th May 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 07:43 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Anyone else hate the mode dial?"
In response to Reply # 0

Windermere, US

So far, my biggest gripe about the mode dial has nothing to do with the camera - it's operator error. As in, I forget I'm in U1 and shoot away like I'm in U2, wondering momentarily why I'm not getting what I expected

Jim

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22115 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.