Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22093
View in linear mode

Subject: "Focus issue or pilot error" Previous topic | Next topic
epdad Registered since 23rd Dec 2010Sun 11-Nov-12 01:05 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Focus issue or pilot error"

Eden Prairie, US

Had a chance to shoot a benefit last night for assistance dogs, and while I have keepers, I've attached 3 files of an example of a shot that was all too common. Shot details: F3.5 at 1/160; ISO 1600, with center point focus on the girl's left hand. Lens is Nikon 80-200 VRII (VR set to on), at 160mm. As you can see, the backdrop (pumpkin) is much more clear, and that prop is a good 10-15 feet behind her in the third photo. Granted, she is walking, but slowly. Would have thought 1/160 would have captured her a little better. I shot a burst of 5 or 6 shots, and have included 3 showing her walking away from the prop. Is this simply pilot error on my part?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Focus issue or pilot error
JosephK Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
epdad
11th Nov 2012
greenwing Gold Member
11th Nov 2012
epdad
11th Nov 2012
Patrick604
11th Nov 2012
epdad
11th Nov 2012
km6xz Moderator
11th Nov 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
13th Nov 2012
epdad
13th Nov 2012
Tucsonmr2
13th Nov 2012
epdad
13th Nov 2012

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 11-Nov-12 03:52 PM
3727 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Focus issue or pilot error"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

The camera definitely focused on the backdrop. What were the camera's focus settings?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

epdad Registered since 23rd Dec 2010Sun 11-Nov-12 04:27 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Focus issue or pilot error"
In response to Reply # 1

Eden Prairie, US

Sorry, forgot to mention: spot metered, and AF-S, ...which could have been part of the problem, but shooting a burst of shots on slow moving targets should work with AF-S (I would think).

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Sun 11-Nov-12 07:17 PM
1293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Focus issue or pilot error"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 11-Nov-12 07:19 PM by greenwing

Yorkshire, GB

If you could post unedited images with the exif data that might help people help you with what's going on. You could throw the unedited jpegs ito your Nikonians gallery and link to them. Spot may not be the best metering choice, but it seems to have done OK.

Chris

epdad Registered since 23rd Dec 2010Sun 11-Nov-12 08:38 PM
#4. "RE: Focus issue or pilot error"
In response to Reply # 3

Eden Prairie, US

Not sure I referenced my gallery correctly, but here goes:
; ;

Patrick604 Registered since 24th Jun 2012Sun 11-Nov-12 09:23 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Focus issue or pilot error"
In response to Reply # 4

US

You are correct that the pumpkin looks to be in focus. In AF-s the camera should have refocussed between each shot. But given how the lady is left of center, is it possible that you had the focus selector centered, which would explain why the pumpkin in the middle is focussed in each shot and the lady is further out of focus with each step? Also, you didn't mention how you had the focus point selected. Was it manually selected by you, or did the camera select which af point to use?

Next time you might try selecting the af point yourself, and shift it left of center to the lady's face. Put the mode to AF-C and let the camera follow focus on the walking model. I use this method to photo cross country runners who are moving right along, it should work like a charm for a person walking.

Good luck and don't get discouraged. This autofocus voodoo takes some practice to get sorted out.

Link to my Nikonians Gallery

epdad Registered since 23rd Dec 2010Sun 11-Nov-12 09:35 PM
#6. "RE: Focus issue or pilot error"
In response to Reply # 5

Eden Prairie, US

The center point was selected by me, but if you look at the overlay of the focus points in Aperture, the center point is on her left hand. Anyway, it's always tough to tell if it's a camera/lens issue or me. I've used Lens Align and chose to keep the fine tune set to zero, or no change. Thanks for the help.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 11-Nov-12 09:48 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Focus issue or pilot error"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

A few points:
AF-S is for still subjects and she is obviously moving forward, the most difficult to maintain in focus of movement directions.
High ISO reduces detail so it is hard to say if her hand is really out of focus, some of the detail of edges are not seen because of the ISO being high. The leaves appear more detailed because they have distinct edges and give the illusion of sharpness.
Of the 3, only the last has obviously missed focus.
Burst in AF-S means re-acquiring focus lock each time the mirror comes back down. AF-C, has tracking hysteresis which tries to predict where the subject will be during the black out period when no focusing can be accomplished.
The last point I wanted to mention was the focus point, it is larger than the box outline in the VF so you have to be careful to keep a high contrast focus target dominating the box with overlap. Her hand was anything but a high contrast target.
Considering the variables that were in play, 2 of the frames are OK.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Tue 13-Nov-12 12:11 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Focus issue or pilot error"
In response to Reply # 7

Burke, US

Stan, if the OP was using AF-S and has focus control on the shutter release button, shooting a burst by holding down the shutter release will only focus on the first shot. At least that's how mine works. To get a new focus in AF-S one must release the shutter release all the way. Also, the focus indication in Capture is where the focus bracket was when the shot was taken, not necessarily where it was when focus was acquired. I shoot AF-S lots, but i focus and recompose, and in that case where the focus bracket shows up in Capture is useless.

I wonder if the OP intentionally focused on her left hand, or that's just where it showed up in Capture?

Charles

epdad Registered since 23rd Dec 2010Tue 13-Nov-12 12:43 AM
#9. "RE: Focus issue or pilot error"
In response to Reply # 8

Eden Prairie, US

I think you just nailed it. I looked at the 6 shots and they were taken within 2 seconds. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I'm guessing that I held the shutter down and didn't allow it to regain focus. As for where I was focusing, I used the center point, and it happened to line up on her hand. I didn't bother to take time to move the focus point to her face. Lesson learned....

Tucsonmr2 Registered since 08th Nov 2012Tue 13-Nov-12 02:38 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Focus issue or pilot error"
In response to Reply # 9

AU

would selecting the AF-C mode have been a better option in this instance? since the lady is moving and not still.
i found that when i was shooting a car drifiting event, i got better pics by switching to AF-C rather than the other two modes.

cheers

epdad Registered since 23rd Dec 2010Tue 13-Nov-12 11:26 AM
#11. "RE: Focus issue or pilot error"
In response to Reply # 10

Eden Prairie, US

Most definitely. The issue was that for the prior 2 hours I was shooting small groups of people, so AF-S made sense. Then I just kept on shooting when this runway thing started and never left AF-S.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22093 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.