Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22003
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shooting inside hotel ballroom..." Previous topic | Next topic
epdad Registered since 23rd Dec 2010Mon 05-Nov-12 11:52 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shooting inside hotel ballroom..."

Eden Prairie, US

Doing some volunteer work this weekend for an organization that trains assistance dogs. They are holding a fundraising event and I've offered to cover the event. You know the drill: cocktails, silent auction, dinner, program, dancing...and then out the door. Using my D7000, but thinking about what lens to use. Right now thinking 17-55 as my primary, with 70-200 for shots during the formal part of the event when I'm likely in back or at the side of the room. I will not have a chance to look at the venue before, but I'm assuming lousy light. I'll have an SB800 on camera, but hope I can get a few shots using existing light. I'm open to renting another lens if anyone has a better idea (I also have a 85 1.8G and a 50 1.8D). Wish I had a spare body but I don't. Body notwithstanding, am I covered?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Shooting inside hotel ballroom...
JosephK Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
mdallie Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
epdad
06th Nov 2012
avm247 Moderator
06th Nov 2012
km6xz Moderator
10th Nov 2012
epdad
11th Nov 2012

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 06-Nov-12 12:24 AM
4109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shooting inside hotel ballroom..."
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Sounds like you have all the equipment you need with the 17-55mm, 70-200mm, and the SB800. Get there early and do some test shots with and without the flash.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Tue 06-Nov-12 09:32 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shooting inside hotel ballroom..."
In response to Reply # 0

Novi, US

These event managers like a lot of people pictures of their often well-to-do benefactors that they can send to the attendees after the event, publish in their newsletter, send to the newspaper, etc. Quickly posed shots of small groups of a couple or a few people are especially cherished so I think your 50 1.8D would be terrific for this.

Mike

epdad Registered since 23rd Dec 2010Tue 06-Nov-12 10:36 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Shooting inside hotel ballroom..."
In response to Reply # 2

Eden Prairie, US

Thanks for the ideas. I do hope to arrive early and get some shots of the dining room when it's all set up, and I can check lighting in various parts of the room(s) as well. And I'm also trying to get a list of the historically big donors as well. It's a great organization so should be fun.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 06-Nov-12 03:08 PM
18317 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Shooting inside hotel ballroom..."
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 06-Nov-12 03:09 PM by avm247

Rancho Cordova, US

Don't forget the volunteers and staffers. I know its fundraising for the assistance dogs and its about the benefactors, but the volunteers and staff make the event happen.

Only thing I would add would be extra memory cards and batteries.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 10-Nov-12 02:12 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Shooting inside hotel ballroom..."
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Getting there early to see about lighting is a good suggestion, above.
There are two general philosophies in events, reportage and posed. For any presentations or talks, take a few of the speakers in context(reportage), with the 70-200.
The most shots of such an event will probably posing small group as they socialize. This one takes being a little more assertive and asking people to pose because wandering around taking photos of people in small groups will result in at least one person looking awkward or with a bad angle so don't waste time waiting for everyone in the group to be naturally photogenic or or not looking goofy. For this you will want the 17-55 getting close enough to fill the frame but not too wide of angle so there is distortion. Shooting wider angle with people at the edges of the frame, which renders them in an unflattering distorted way.
Be sure to get at least one good image of each person in either groups or solo. Get a member of the group who knows everyone to volunteer to record the names of the people in the photo. They can write them in a note book while shooting while you call out the frame number. This works better than afterwards because in case they do not know someone, you can ask them for their names. This saves a lot of time when they seek to publish the images.
Lighting for the small groups is easy with a diffused flash but the reportage type shots of the proceedings will be a challenge for lighting unless you can set a few slave up that can bounce off good surfaces. Since you will likely be shooting without flash for this portion be sure to fill the frame with the subject so you do not have to crop, which reduces res and signal to noise ratio of higher ISO shots in ambient like.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

epdad Registered since 23rd Dec 2010Sun 11-Nov-12 01:09 PM
#6. "RE: Shooting inside hotel ballroom..."
In response to Reply # 5

Eden Prairie, US

Thanks for the tips. Had a fun time, but some challenges. See this thread for example. http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=22093&mesg_id=22093&page=

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22003 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.