Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21967
View in linear mode

Subject: "Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 03:59 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
Mon 05-Nov-12 04:32 PM by dfaughtcvt

Chicago, US

Hi guys,

I've been reading this forum since I joined, and one of the topics that I've been watching is the back-focus issue with the D7000. Not really sure just how prevalent the issue is, or if it's a steep learning curve issue. I'm not a professional photographer but have been learning the in's and out's of the D90, and am using it in manual mode now. If I had to classify myself, I would say that I'm probably an intermediate hobbyist. So, after that long-winded intro of myself... I'm considering upgrading from my D90 to the D7000 (had also considered the 5100 but I prefer the camera having the AF motor). My D90 is getting long in the tooth but it still works really well. I have quite a few DX lenses so I feel it would be better to go with a DX camera body.

I would really like to hear input from D7000 owners and experienced photographers on this forum with their opinion on the D7000. Do you think I'll be biting off more than I can chew with the complexity of this camera versus the D90?

Thanks for any info you can give!

Deb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.”
― Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000
Vsteelrider
05th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
05th Nov 2012
Vsteelrider
05th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
05th Nov 2012
briantilley Moderator
05th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
05th Nov 2012
briantilley Moderator
05th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
05th Nov 2012
briantilley Moderator
05th Nov 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
05th Nov 2012
Vsteelrider
05th Nov 2012
Chris Platt Silver Member
05th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
05th Nov 2012
RLDubbya
05th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
05th Nov 2012
Vsteelrider
05th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
05th Nov 2012
RLDubbya
05th Nov 2012
jimmills Silver Member
05th Nov 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
07th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
07th Nov 2012
RLDubbya
07th Nov 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
09th Nov 2012
Rassie Silver Member
07th Nov 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
09th Nov 2012
Rassie Silver Member
09th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
09th Nov 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
10th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
10th Nov 2012
cosmicfires Silver Member
15th Nov 2012
bc3 Silver Member
17th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
17th Nov 2012
jdphotos
22nd Nov 2012

Vsteelrider Registered since 13th Oct 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 04:25 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

The D7000 is no more complex than a D90.
Its a better spec camera for many reasons and those you can check out on the web.
As far as focus issues with the D7000 I have found none, and niether have two friends who use the D7000 found any problems.
Its more about using a superb camera's focusing options correctly, you even have a focus compensation facility (what more can you ask for) Also auto focus on any camera should be treated with respect. Dependant on lighting, contrasts, and subject size and distance ect ect.
Know its limitations, use it properly, and you wont be dissapointed.
Tis a poor workman who blames his tools.
I loved my D90, and when upgrading to the D7000, I found an instant old friend. I love it, no regrets.

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 04:32 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 05-Nov-12 05:07 PM by dfaughtcvt

Chicago, US

Awesome...thank you for sharing your experience with the D7000. I am currently using the D90 set to where I can select my focal points, so I am aware of how to select for one point in the menu setting. From what I've read, using that on the D7000 can be a big help with those having problems focusing. I'd also read that some of the problems is with older lenses that may not communicate properly with the D7000.

Again, thank you!

Deb

“When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.”
― Ansel Adams

Vsteelrider Registered since 13th Oct 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 05:27 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Found this a usefull read when it comes to the D7000s focusing system.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000/af-settings.htm

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 06:06 PM
#4. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

Great article, Vsteelrider! I really like Ken Rockwell. Thanks!

Deb

― Ansel Adams

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 05-Nov-12 06:22 PM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

I would caution anyone reading that linked article that the author tends to write with a particular mindset and for a certain type of user. His recommendation for "auto-everything AF" can work OK in some situations, but it is almost always possible to improve AF performance by choosing your camera's settings to suit the circumstances.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 06:24 PM
#6. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Chicago, US

Can you expound on your point, briantilley? Keep in mind that I am an intermediate hobbyist so I may not completely understand some of what you say. Like, can you give an example of a circumstance where you would change your camera's settings and how would you do it?

Thanks,

Deb

― Ansel Adams

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 05-Nov-12 09:18 PM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 05-Nov-12 09:20 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

However sophisticated a camera's autofocus system may be - and these days they are very smart indeed - it still cannot know which part of the scene you actually want to in sharpest focus.

One example would be a large group of people arranged so that some of them are a bit further from the camera than others. Left to its own devices, the camera might well pick the nearest face to focus on, but if the guy at the back is too far behind he could well look a little blurred. It will be better to choose one single AF point and focus on the person about halfway.

Another example would be a small brown bird perched in a tree with lots of brown branches around and behind it. Again, the camera really cannot be expected to know which particular small area of brown - that's all it can "see", it doesn't know what is bird and what is branch - you want to be sharp. Using a single AF point helps to get around that problem.

One more - some kind of sporting event with players running about all over the field of play. You want to focus on one particular player, who sometimes might be just in front of, or even partially hiddeen by, another guy. That's pretty difficult for the camera to handle without some help from the photographer.

Edited to add...

By the way - none of this is a reason not to get a D7000. The advice to take control of your AF system and help the camera know what you want it to do applies equally well to your existing D90

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 09:25 PM
#13. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 12

Chicago, US

That makes sense... and that's why I learned hot select focus points on the D90. So that I could selectively pinpoint where I wanted the camera to focus.

Deb

― Ansel Adams

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 05-Nov-12 10:27 PM
#19. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 13

Paignton, GB

Great! So you'd be well on the way to getting the best out of a D7000

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Mon 05-Nov-12 06:58 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Et tu, Brian?

Jerry

Vsteelrider Registered since 13th Oct 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 07:42 PM
#8. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

>I would caution anyone reading that linked article that the
>author tends to write with a particular mindset and for a
>certain type of user. His recommendation for
>"auto-everything AF" can work OK in some situations,
>but it is almost always possible to improve AF performance by
>choosing your camera's settings to suit the circumstances.

Words of wisdom for sure, and completely agree.
When the author says and I quote ;;

"The D7000 makes great photos, even when used as a point-and-shoot.
When I hand my D7000 to a non-photographer like my wife, I leave it at its default of AF-A and Auto". end quote.

I feel he leaves no doubt as to what he is saying.
Certainly it would be a waste of a good camera to always rely on the cameras focusing system per say.
As said, and I agree, it can very often be improved upon, but this follows for any dslr camera regardless of what you pay or how good it is.

Its about knowing when to and when not to.
Also realising that no auto focus system is bullet proof and that they do have limitations at some point.

Even so I still feel the article has some usefull info.

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 09:05 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 06-Nov-12 02:52 AM by Chris Platt

Newburg, US

Upgrade. The D7000 is a remarkable camera. Use the same settings you use on the D90 for starters - center weighted metering, AF-S. It should feel pretty familiar.

Read the owner's manual. Buy another user's guide or two. Start playing with (and learning) the other modes. They give you an excuse to use the camera for nothing more than experimenting and practicing. You can always fall back to full auto or P mode if you're unsure of yourself in an important situation and don't want to take a chance on fouling up your pictures.

Have fun.

Visit my gallery.

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 09:14 PM
#11. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 9

Chicago, US

I've always been very techno-savvy and was able to learn how to use things by just using them. Built a computer for myself that way. I learned my Nikon D90 on my own but did pick up a book about it to make sure that I was learning it fully. I'll definitely get a book for the D7000, but playing with something is the best way for me to learn. I'm a hands-on, visual kind of learner.

OK... so now I have to take a few pics of the Nikon D90 body and see how much I can get for it. It'll give me time to save up the rest of the $$ that I'll need. Why does my favorite hobby have to be so darn expensive? LOL

Deb

― Ansel Adams

RLDubbya Registered since 24th Dec 2011Mon 05-Nov-12 09:05 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I would really like to hear input from D7000 owners and
>experienced photographers on this forum with their opinion on
>the D7000. Do you think I'll be biting off more than I can
>chew with the complexity of this camera versus the D90?
>
>Thanks for any info you can give!

I dipped my toes into the DSLR world in 2010 with the purchase of a D5000. I was happy enough with it, learned it fairly quickly and well, and made some nice pics.

I then got the chance to shoot a nice gig which required two bodies (a dog sled race and weight pull outdoors in the snow at -20 degrees F) because lens changes would be impossible. I also wanted a body that was better sealed, and a body that could write backup files to a second card slot. I had only DX lenses.

So, I purchased a pair of D7000 bodies in December 2011. I joined Nikonians the same day, I think, and started shooting every day, as I only had 30 days prior to the gig. At the last minute, the race was cancelled, and since I was 2,000 miles from home, I agreed to shoot an indoor event. The d7000's did well, producing results that left everybody happy.

I think you'll be fine, and I think you'll enjoy the upgrade. If you're a methodical learner like me, break the functions down (so, today I'm going to learn what the "FP" in ttl flash does), and learn one a day. Shoot familiar subjects. Over and over.

By the way, I never purchased any book until just a month ago, when I picked up Thom Hogan's book. My experience is that between shooting, shooting, shooting, and Nikonians, and some more shooting, a book doesn't really add much to the mix.

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 09:26 PM
#14. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

Chicago, US

Sounds like most of you guys are professional photographers. So you don't think the D7000 will be overkill for a hobbyist like me? I have been asked to help shoot for a friend who has her own studio though.

Deb

― Ansel Adams

Vsteelrider Registered since 13th Oct 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 09:49 PM
#15. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 14

GB

>Sounds like most of you guys are professional photographers.
>So you don't think the D7000 will be overkill for a hobbyist
>like me? I have been asked to help shoot for a friend who has
>her own studio though.
>
>

Deb,
If your happy using the D90, you will have no problem with the D7000. Dual card slots vs single, 6 frames per second vs 4.5 much higher iso values, longer battery life, better build quality,39 point AF vs 11. 100 percent view finder.its a much nicer camers all round.
If you shoot video the list continues 1080p vs 720p Auto focus in video mode. ect ect.
You wont be dissapointed.

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 09:52 PM
#16. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 15

Chicago, US

Thanks... I like the fact that the D7000 has better weather-sealing on it too. I don't really shoot video with it much. I have a great, small digital camcorder that I can use. But that's good to know for any off-the-cuff recording that I might do.

Want to buy my D90? LOL

Deb

― Ansel Adams

RLDubbya Registered since 24th Dec 2011Mon 05-Nov-12 09:53 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"

US

LOL. I'm not much of a pro. Maybe someday. BUt for now, I'd classify myself as a hobbyist who sometimes gets reimbursed.

You'll be able to make better images with the d7000. Whether hobbyist or doing it for money, that's a good thing.

jimmills Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Dec 2010Mon 05-Nov-12 09:55 PM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
Mon 05-Nov-12 09:56 PM by jimmills

Fort Walton Beach, FL, US

The D7000 will not be overkill for you in my book. I ,too, am an amateur and I own both the D7000 and the D5100. The D7000 is easily my favorite although the D5100 is certainly a good camera. I just prefer the functions of the D7000 over those of the D5100 although the articulating LCD is the cat's pajamas on the D5100. I use it for macro work because I'm to old to be laying on my belly trying to photograph a bug in the grass. Since you are already comfortable with a D90, I think you will love the D7000. Just wait until you try the autofocus system of the D7000 on birds in flight. You will be impressed.

Oh yes, I forgot to tell you, I have not had any focus problems with my
D7000 whatsoever.

Jim

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Tue 06-Nov-12 11:18 AM
681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"

Port Charlotte, US

A lot of the photographers on this site probably could be professionals, but many are just very passionate amateurs.

You're in a win-win situation no matter what you decide. The D90 is an awesome camera in its own right. The D7000 offers more features and capabilities so upgrading would be a great move as well.

The only reason the D7000 would be overkill is if you left it on Auto and used it as a point and shoot.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Tue 06-Nov-12 06:32 PM
#21. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Thank you, everyone, for all your advice and information! I'm waiting to hear back from Adorama as to what they would offer me for my D90, in exchange for purchasing the D7000 from them. I'm leaning towards just getting the D7000. The backfocus issues made me nervous though.

Deb

― Ansel Adams

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Tue 06-Nov-12 07:18 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Competition is good. You can also get a trade-in estimate from B&H in New York. Currently a new D7000 (body only) is the same cost as at Adorama. Link is below.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=D7000&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

Jerry

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Tue 06-Nov-12 07:50 PM
#23. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 22

Chicago, US

B&H is quoting me $315 for the camera and it has to be in excellent, like new condition. I think that's pretty low. I know they need to make some profit when they turn around and sell it, but geez...

Deb

― Ansel Adams

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 07-Nov-12 02:32 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 23

Brighton and Hove, GB

Deb,

Why not try selling your D90 on Nikonians? Buyers and sellers here are generally really nice folks to deal with.

As for the upgrade, I'm with all others who say you won't regret it. I've had some trouble getting reliable focus out of my D7000, but I'm blaming my technique rather than the camera. I noticed when moving up from a D70 to the D90 that the higher resolution was less forgiving of sloppy shooting. The D7000 is more picky yet. But when the camera is steady on a tripod and I pick a good AF target it's spot on, so it isn't the machine that's the problem.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Wed 07-Nov-12 05:35 AM
#26. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 25

Chicago, US

Yeah... I just wasn't sure how to go about selling it on here since I'm so new to the community. I realize that nobody knows me, so they're going to be afraid of getting screwed. So, I don't know what to do to prove that I'm legit and reliable.

Deb

― Ansel Adams

RLDubbya Registered since 24th Dec 2011Wed 07-Nov-12 10:27 AM
#27. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 26

US

Two thoughts: one, you're a silver-level member, and typically I'll risk doing business with a person just b/c of that. It means that there is a "trail" back to you (I might not have access to it), and lends credence to your authenticity.

Second thought: why not keep your D90 as a backup?

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 08-Nov-12 03:49 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 27

Brighton and Hove, GB

>you're a silver-level member, and
>typically I'll risk doing business with a person just b/c of
>that.

I'll second that. You've paid for your membership so odds are that you're "one of us", ie a real Nikon user who's looking to make an honest transaction.

Gary

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Fri 09-Nov-12 12:50 AM
#31. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 28

Chicago, US

Thanks, guys! I would have upgraded to a higher membership but can't afford to right now since I'm temporarily out of a job.

Deb

― Ansel Adams

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 07-Nov-12 02:07 AM
2797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

I made the switch from D90 to D7000 about a month ago, and I had the back-focus issue. The D7000 has a feature in the menus where one can fine-tune the autofocus if the camera back- or front-focuses. In my case the back-focus was worse than what could have been corrected through the a/f fine-tuning feature. I dropped the camera off at a Nikon repair facility and they made some adjustments. I have since then been able to fine-tune the a/f to the point where I believe it's just about as good as it can be.

The D90 is a great camera and I was very happy with it. The D7000 is just that much more capable in most respects, and a very worthy step up from the D90. If you were happy with your D90 you will probably love the D7000 just as much, or even more. As for back-focus, if your camera has it, it's easy enough to fix, either through a visit to a Nikon facility, or adjusting the a/f fine-tuning yourself, or a combination of the two. Remember, it's not just this model that has the occasional a/f issue.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Thu 08-Nov-12 11:11 PM
443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

I loved my D90. I love my D7000.

If you are happy with the D90 I would question why you want to upgrade. Is there something the D90 can't do that you want to be able to do? Is there some limitation to it that you need to overcome.

I think a lot of us get caught up in the whole NAS, newer, better, must have syndrome.

I agree that it is an easy transition from the D90 to the D7000.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Fri 09-Nov-12 12:48 AM
#30. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 29

Chicago, US

I don't have any problems with my D90. I just feel like it's getting a bit "long in the tooth" and am worried about the longevity of this particular camera. I have very few shutter actuations -- about 11,434 according to myshuttercount.com (I believe is the website). I've heard that the D90 can get up to 100,000 but not sure how realistic that is. I can't afford to keep the D90 and buy the D7000. So, if I were to upgrade, I'd have to sell the D90.

Deb

― Ansel Adams

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 09-Nov-12 01:17 PM
2797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 30
Fri 09-Nov-12 01:18 PM by Rassie

Milton, CA

Having used both cameras, I think the image quality between the two is close enough that the larger files and somewhat improved dynamic range and resolution of the D7000 alone are, speaking for myself, maybe not compelling enough reasons for upgrading.

If the more limited feature set of the D90 is limiting your photographic abilities, then the D7000 makes more sense. If the more robust weather sealing, partially metal-clad body, better autofocus, 39 vs 11 focus points and higher burst speed are important, then the D7000 makes more sense. I guess you need to ask yourself what you need to be able to do that the D90 lacks versus the D7000.

As for the longevity of the shutter, I think it's fair to expect a shutter life at least 100,000 pictures. Some shutters will fail sooner, but many will go well beyond 100,000 shots.

Yours is a common dilemma. The question of "should I upgrade or not" has been asked many times in these forums. Another thing to consider is that lenses typically outlast bodies many times over and you can get better images with good glass on an older body than to put poor glass on a newer body. So might it be a better idea to rather buy a better lens than spend the same money on a newer body?

A few months ago in the landscape forum I was fortunate enough for one of my images to be chosen as the winner of one of the the monthly competitions - about fall colours. In the days of the D80, D90, D7000, D300, D3, D4, D700, etc., all of them newer and better bodies, the winning image was made on my first DSLR, a D70S.

Difficult decision, this. Good luck!

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Fri 09-Nov-12 05:06 PM
#33. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 32
Fri 09-Nov-12 05:14 PM by dfaughtcvt

Chicago, US

I took this picture recently with my D90 and was very pleased. The D90 definitely does a great job with producing excellent images.

I'm somewhat limited in the quality of lenses that I can buy... the most expensive lens I bought may have been around $600-800, so I'm not sure what level of quality that amount of money provides.

Here is a list of the lenses that I currently have. Are there any there that you all would consider inferior and suggest selling in order to buy a better quality lens? And if you do suggest replacing with a better quality lens, can you give me an example of what that would be?

Nikon Lenses:
Nikkor AF-S 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED
Nikkor AF 85mm 1:1.8D
Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D

Other Lenses:
Tamron SP Di AF 90mm f/2.8 macro
Tokina 35mm f/2.8 AT-X PRO DX Macro
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC HSM

Thank you for your patience with this loooooong thread.

Deb

― Ansel Adams

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sat 10-Nov-12 03:04 AM
#34. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 33
Sat 10-Nov-12 03:04 AM by ShrimpBoy

Brighton and Hove, GB

Deb

Lens questions really should go in the lens forums.

Looking at what you listed, I'd say the 18-105 and 70-300 are your theoretical weakest lenses. The latter especially could be replaced fairly cheaply (under $400 these days) with a used 70-300 VR. But what you've got isn't rubbish and with good light and good subjects should produce good images.

Before you change anything, look through your collection of images and get the statistics on what lenses and what focal lengths you tend to shoot. There's no point getting a better version of something that's never on your camera anyway.

Gary

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Sat 10-Nov-12 06:53 PM
#35. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 34
Sat 10-Nov-12 06:58 PM by dfaughtcvt

Chicago, US

I'm sorry about asking in the wrong area. I'll put my question over there but do appreciate your input on the lenses that I have. I may sell the D90 with one of those lenses for a little bit more, just to get rid of one of them. I'm thinking maybe the 18-105 lens.

Thanks!

Deb

― Ansel Adams

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Thu 15-Nov-12 07:21 PM
303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I had a D80 when I got my D7000. I got the D7000 for better low light performance and better dynamic range. I have always tried to take pictures in the dark.

When my D7000 arrived I charged up a battery and tried it without reading the manual, it's not too different from the D80 (or D90) I assume.

I do read the manual and other documentation to learn to use my camera better. I use a lot of the features. For example I have AF-S set for release priority (release the shutter even if it's not focused) because I use the AE-L/AF-L button to focus on static scenes. I've set release priority for AF-C to focus, I find I get more in focus shots of moving subject like aircraft and birds on that setting.

If you're comfortable with the D90 you'll have no problem with the D7000.

my website

bc3 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2012Sat 17-Nov-12 09:14 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 36

US

I'm also a avid amateur with a few published photos. My move to the DSLR world was with the D80 because I still had a few lens from my 35mm days that were Nikon mount. I made the jump to the D90 for the increased performance and the controls were similar to the D80. The D90 has been a fantastic camera and has only been in the shop for repair one time. When I was looking to step up in performance and features I looked at the D5100 the D300 and the D7000. The D7000 won because all the controls were right where they had been on the 80 and 90 and the performance was close to the 300 at half the cost.

You will find that you can pick up the D7000 and keep on learning with loss in time.

I would almost guarantee you will be happy with the change.

BertC

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Sat 17-Nov-12 10:05 PM
#38. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 37
Sat 17-Nov-12 10:09 PM by dfaughtcvt

Chicago, US

Thanks for your input, cosmicfires and BertC! I'm going to see what bites I can get on my D90. I was able to sell a couple lenses that would also go towards the cost of the D7000. I'm just a little nervous about buying a used D7000 on Ebay. I may just pay a little extra and get a new one.

Deb

― Ansel Adams

jdphotos Registered since 12th Jun 2012Thu 22-Nov-12 02:09 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Thinking about upgrade from D90 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 38

US

Right now they are running D7000 kit for $996. It might help. I have D7000 and love it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21967 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.