Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2193
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 focus mode" Previous topic | Next topic
docjcf Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2007Sun 21-Nov-10 12:14 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 focus mode"

US

Hello Nikonians,

I have upgraded from a 4 yr old D40 to the D7000 (that I am getting monday). In the past I would focus with the center dot (only 3 in D40) and then recompose.

Question is, now with the 39 points, what kind of focus mode are you using? How friendly is it? Do you still focus with the central area and recompose, or is that changed with the new focus modes?

Thanks and regards

John

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Chris Ross Leong Registered since 18th Nov 2010Sun 21-Nov-10 12:26 AM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 focus mode"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 21-Nov-10 01:24 AM by Chris Ross Leong

Sherman Oaks, US

John, hello!
Just a quick note to say there's people here, we're all working on the camera to get those answers for ourselves first before we share them. So nobody's ignoring you, we've just all got our thinking caps on.

Right now I just compose it, half press and wait for the AF to lock in, then wait for the moment and shoot it. There's enough sensors so I'm not reframing between the focus and the shoot. But I've not taken anything that's been too hard to lock onto yet.

So far my experience has been in line with the reviewers' in that my more expensive pro lenses focus much faster than the cheaper kit lens. So if you find you're waiting too long for the AF to lock on, be aware that most of the time it's not the body that's too slow.

BTW, I'm supposed to own three D40's - and haven't even seen them for months. My partner has one, my ex has another and my girlfriend has the third. None of them will give them back.

Yeah, I know. Lame excuse to get a D7000... LOL!!

Cheers
Chris

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Sun 21-Nov-10 12:59 AM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 focus mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

John, I just upgraded from the D40. Be prepared to be WOWed! I have use the AF-A and 39 points almost exclusively. It just works and works well. I did have to cut back to 9 points to get proper focus in dense foliage once. The camera kept locking on to the wrong branch.

I have been using the kit (18-105) lens for most of my shots. My normal walking around lens (18-200 VR)that I used on my D-40 is in the Nikon Hospital. I haven't had any problems with the kit lens and the D7000 focusing. However, I haven't tried to use it in hard to focus situations.

John

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

docjcf Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2007Sun 21-Nov-10 01:14 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 focus mode"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks Chris and John,

Can't wait to get the camera tomorrow.

cheers,

John

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2193 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.