Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21890
View in linear mode

Subject: "How does the built in flash on the D7000 do fill flash?" Previous topic | Next topic
kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Fri 02-Nov-12 12:19 AM
267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How does the built in flash on the D7000 do fill flash?"

South Florida, US

My long gone FM3A had a fill flash button on the body so when I attached the SB-30 flash it worked perfectly. How do I do fill flash on the D7000?

Akiva S.

Nikon F, FE, Nikkormat FTN, Nikon D7000

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How does the built in flash on the D7000 do fill fl...
blw Moderator
02nd Nov 2012
mklass Platinum Member
02nd Nov 2012
aolander Silver Member
02nd Nov 2012
kshapero Gold Member
02nd Nov 2012
mklass Platinum Member
02nd Nov 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 02-Nov-12 07:49 AM
26589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: How does the built in flash on the D7000 do fill flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Pop it up and have the flash mode set to TTL-BL.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 02-Nov-12 10:04 AM
5869 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How does the built in flash on the D7000 do fill flash?"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

What Brian said would apply to a Speedlight mounted on the D7000, but if you are using the built-in flash, and the camera is in P, S, A or M mode, set the flash so the indicator on the top LCD screen is only showing the lightning bolt.

In low light, you may want to use Slow sync.

Make sure custom setting e3, Flash Control Mode, is set to TTL. (There is no TTL-BL setting for the built-in flash)

You may also find it useful to dial in -0.7 or more of flash compensation, depending on the amount of fill you need.

Check pages 144-148 of the manual for more details.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 02-Nov-12 12:15 PM
3201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How does the built in flash on the D7000 do fill flash?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 02-Nov-12 12:21 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

The built-in flash is always in TTL-BL unless you set the camera to spot metering, then it is in Standard TTL. See page 146 of the English manual. It says:

"Standard i-TTL flash for digital SLR is activated automatically when
spot metering is selected."

Alan

kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Fri 02-Nov-12 12:20 PM
267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How does the built in flash on the D7000 do fill flash?"
In response to Reply # 3

South Florida, US

>Perhaps it's different with the D7000, but the built-in flash
>on other models is always in TTL-BL unless you set the camera
>to spot metering.

yes, you are right. I am now up to speed on this.

Akiva S.

Nikon F, FE, Nikkormat FTN, Nikon D7000

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 02-Nov-12 12:25 PM
5869 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How does the built in flash on the D7000 do fill flash?"
In response to Reply # 3

Tacoma, US

Absolute true. My point is that if you looked on the D7000 for a "TTL-BL" setting or indicator, you would never find it.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21890 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.