Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21835
View in linear mode

Subject: "Confused about metering/focusing" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Tue 30-Oct-12 08:57 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Confused about metering/focusing"

Aventura, US

Suppose I have selected a particular metering mode, ie spot. Now let's say I manually select an off-center focus point. When I press the release button half way I assume the spot metering is done at the selected focus point and not in the actual center of the picture. Is that correct? Is the same true if I am selecting center-weighted metering? (Sorry if this is stupid question-I looked at the manual but it didn't seem to explain it very well.) Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Confused about metering/focusing
blw Moderator
30th Oct 2012
Steve6344 Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
JosephK Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
blw Moderator
31st Oct 2012
Steve6344 Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
blw Moderator
31st Oct 2012
Chris Platt Silver Member
31st Oct 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 30-Oct-12 09:34 PM
26589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Confused about metering/focusing"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

No, center weighted means, well, weighted in the center! But spot works as you described.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Tue 30-Oct-12 11:32 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Confused about metering/focusing"
In response to Reply # 1

Aventura, US

Thanks for responding.

So If I'm focusing in the corner and using center weighted metering the metering is being done in the center.

What is the scenario that would result in someone shooting that way?

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 31-Oct-12 12:01 AM
4195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Confused about metering/focusing"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

>So If I'm focusing in the corner and using center weighted
>metering the metering is being done in the center.

That is correct.

>What is the scenario that would result in someone shooting
>that way?

Trying to come up with something that even remotely makes sense, say you are shooting a bride, you want her outstretched hand in focus (corner) but her dress (center) to govern the metering.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 31-Oct-12 12:13 AM
26589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Confused about metering/focusing"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

Center weighted is, I think, mostly a matter of compatibility with the past. Forty years ago having a meter at all was at the technological state of the art; the first meters were averaging meters that pretty much read the entire frame. Center weighted meters were developed to improve upon that, and they have been refined over time. One of their appealing characteristics is that they are very consistent. Unlike the default matrix (or Canon "evaluative") meter, small changes in the frame composition do NOT sometimes cause large swings in the meter reading. So for those two reasons center weighted meters are still with us. But as you note, there are more advanced situations where center weighted doesn't really make a lot of sense.

_____

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Wed 31-Oct-12 10:37 AM
#5. "RE: Confused about metering/focusing"
In response to Reply # 4

Aventura, US

So I guess a good way to use center-weighted metering would be to meter and focus in the center by holding the release button half way down and then to recompose as desired and shoot. Does that make sense?

What type of metering is used most of the time?

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 31-Oct-12 11:44 AM
#6. "RE: Confused about metering/focusing"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

That's a reasonable strategy. It's what people always did in the days when center-weighted was state-of-the-art.

> What type of metering is used most of the time?

Depends. I use matrix a lot. I also use spot a lot. Some folks use CW all the time. Horses for courses.

_____

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Wed 31-Oct-12 02:05 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Confused about metering/focusing"
In response to Reply # 5

Newburg, US

I use CW most of the time and use the AE lock button if I want to reframe the image.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21835 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.