Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21811
View in linear mode

Subject: "Spot in viewfinder" Previous topic | Next topic
RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Tue 30-Oct-12 11:40 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Spot in viewfinder"

Raleigh, US

I can see a small spot of dust or dirt when looking through the viewfinder of my brand new D7000. It does not appear on images, but it is a nuisance. Obviously it is someplace besides the sensor. Before I try cleaning anything, I thought I would ask for advice here. Any suggestions?

Rocky

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Spot in viewfinder
Rassie Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
30th Oct 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
30th Oct 2012
aolander Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
Rmastran Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
blw Moderator
30th Oct 2012
hnagy
04th Mar 2013
RockyIII Gold Member
30th Oct 2012

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 30-Oct-12 11:44 AM
2838 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Spot in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

The next obvious place to look for the speck is on the mirror. Use a rocket blower on the mirror to see it that helps. Keep the camera tilted down while blowing - that allows gravity to pull the dirt out of the camera to the outside.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Tue 30-Oct-12 11:45 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Spot in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 30-Oct-12 11:51 AM by RockyIII

Raleigh, US

Thanks. I just blew out the chamber with the mirror down and it is gone. It must have been on the mirror or focusing screen.

Believe it or not, I do not recall ever seeing a spot like that before.

Rocky

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Tue 30-Oct-12 01:35 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Spot in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 30-Oct-12 01:35 PM by four eighty sparky

US

>Thanks. I just blew out the chamber with the mirror down and
>it is gone. It must have been on the mirror or focusing
>screen.
>
>Believe it or not, I do not recall ever seeing a spot like
>that before.
>
>Rocky

If this is your first DSLR, then get used to dirt and dust.

On the focus screen.

On the mirror.

And worst of all.... on the sensor.

Dirt/dust and DSLRs are mutually attracted to each other. It's a fact of life. Maintaining a thorough and rigorous cleaning regimen will now be a part of your normal constitutions.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Tue 30-Oct-12 02:26 PM
#4. "RE: Spot in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 3

Raleigh, US

I have owned several DSLRs, and I have cleaned the sensors many times. Like others, I've even had some cameras with dust on the sensors brand new right out of the box. I guess I have been lucky not to have anything on the mirror or focus screen that I could see in the viewfinder before. It sure was a lot easier to clean than a sensor though.

I have a professional photographer friend who has never cleaned a sensor. He takes his bodies to the local Nikon dealer before shoots, and they clean them for him at no charge.

Rocky

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 30-Oct-12 08:41 PM
3190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Spot in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

If you see sharply defined (in focus) specks/spots in the viewfinder, they are not on the mirror; they are on the focusing screen. Debris on the mirror would have to be much larger than dust specks to see them, and they will be "fuzzy" (out of focus) if you do.

Alan

Rmastran Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2011Tue 30-Oct-12 09:15 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Spot in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 5

Carver, US

What is the recommended way to clear the focusing screen of dust?

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 30-Oct-12 09:34 PM
26567 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Spot in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 6

Richmond, US

A Rocket Blower or equivalent, with the lens throat facing down. That'll get 95% of any stuff that gets onto a focusing screen.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Mon 04-Mar-13 07:38 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Spot in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 7

Cairo, EG

>A Rocket Blower or equivalent, with the lens throat facing
>down. That'll get 95% of any stuff that gets onto a focusing
>screen.
what after to use if blowing didn't fix it?

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Tue 30-Oct-12 11:10 PM
#8. "RE: Spot in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 5

Raleigh, US

Thanks, Alan. Mine was fuzzy.

Rocky

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21811 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.