Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21799
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problems with a New D7000 Sensor?" Previous topic | Next topic
Donald Reaka Registered since 23rd Sep 2012Mon 29-Oct-12 05:28 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Problems with a New D7000 Sensor?"
Mon 29-Oct-12 08:55 PM by dm1dave

US

I have posted a pix in my gallery so everyone can see the problem pink pixilation also blue skies have gradiation I do not know how else to describe it
have this problem with several of my images no post processing straight out of the camera

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Problems with a New D700 Sensor?
greenwing Gold Member
29th Oct 2012
Donald Reaka
29th Oct 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
29th Oct 2012
Reply message RE: Problems with a New D7000 Sensor?
dm1dave Administrator
29th Oct 2012
Rassie Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
elec164 Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
Donald Reaka
31st Oct 2012

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Mon 29-Oct-12 07:54 PM
1293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Problems with a New D700 Sensor?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 29-Oct-12 09:10 PM by greenwing

Yorkshire, GB

>I have posted a pix in my gallery so everyone can see the
>problem pink pixilation also blue skies have gradiation I do
>not know how else to describe it
> have this problem with several of my images no post
>processing straight out of the camera

Hi & welcome Donald. I took a look at the image in your gallery, and I think the problems you're describing are just down to over-compressing the image. It's 1440x960, that's about 1.4 million pixels, but only 103kbytes in size. It's had the detail compressed out of it. To be honest, I think the quality is good considering how small the file is.

Hope this helps
Chris

Donald Reaka Registered since 23rd Sep 2012Mon 29-Oct-12 08:44 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Problems with a New D700 Sensor?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thats the way it came out of the camera jpg normal setting no post processing

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 29-Oct-12 09:20 PM
1393 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Problems with a New D700 Sensor?"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 29-Oct-12 09:22 PM by four eighty sparky

US

>Thats the way it came out of the camera jpg normal setting no
>post processing
>

You've reduced the image size somewhere. The smallest the D7000 can record an image is 2464 x 1632 pixels, 3x larger than what you posted.

Look under SHOOTING MENU and make sure Image Quality is set to 'fine' and Image size is set to "Large".

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 29-Oct-12 09:02 PM
11059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Problems with a New D7000 Sensor?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Hi Donald, welcome to Nikonians!

Have you tried taking comparable shots in NEF format?

JEPG is a format that is always compressed and data is always lost due to the compression. What you describe sounds a lot like JEPG artifacts.

Here is a link to the image in Donald’s gallery….
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/398911

PS: I edited the title of the first post to read D7000 rather than D700.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 30-Oct-12 11:52 AM
2797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Problems with a New D7000 Sensor?"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 30-Oct-12 11:55 AM by Rassie

Milton, CA

Looking at the picture in question, I agree that it's been compressed to the point that it's seriously degraded. I have to believe this didn't happen in the camera, but rather outside during preparation for posting.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 30-Oct-12 12:53 PM
1896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Problems with a New D7000 Sensor?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I agree with those who feel this is not just a resized JPEG straight out of the camera. Not that I wish to doubt you, but the information contained in the EXIF data suggests this image was processed in an external editor.

For example it appears that the ProPhotoRGB color space was applied somewhere along the way. That alone would be problematic for an 8-bit highly compressed file. That without question would cause posterization with fine gradient areas. Also ProPhotoRGB is not an in camera choice.

But there are other troubling things that would cause issues. You seem to have a -3 2/3rds EC dialed in. It also suggests you used flash, but I don't know if it was the built-in or external flash. But never the less, with the exposure settings you have unless the ambient light was sufficient, I don't believe there would be enough flash power outputed to properly expose the full scene. That suggests that you might have needed to boost the levels in PP which would seem to increase the visible noise.

I'll take you for your word that you did no external editing, but the information in the EXIF data seems to contradict you.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Donald Reaka Registered since 23rd Sep 2012Wed 31-Oct-12 05:46 PM
#7. "RE: Problems with a New D7000 Sensor?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 31-Oct-12 05:48 PM by Donald Reaka

US

I owe everyone an apology, still unclear about editing in Adobe rgb or srbg, also about resizing, the first photo was post processed and resized, and put back in the same folder agin sorry about the confusion. I'll keep trying, comments on the second post are welcome. I have reposted in my gallery new at posting also so forgive my ignorance.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21799 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.