Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21779
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to carry your D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Vsteelrider Registered since 13th Oct 2012Sat 27-Oct-12 10:31 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to carry your D7000"

GB

Recently purchased the Nikon wrist strap, don't have particularly large hands but this was a big dissapointment.
The strap has a plate which screws to the tripod mount.
I went for the Nikon brand because I noted it leaves the battery door accessible.
Many aftermarket units are cheaper but tend to require removal to access the battery compartment (a real pain mid shoot).
Well it arrived and I eagerly fitted it.
Big let down! It restricted my trigger finger from accessing the release button without struggling.
I checked and double checked diagrams for fitting and also adjusted the strap several times but its a big no go for me.
Shame, but it looks like my neck strap will be my only way forward.
Not that its that bad, just more visual than I would like.
How do you guys and gals carry your snappers around ??

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How to carry your D7000
km6xz Moderator
27th Oct 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
27th Oct 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
27th Oct 2012
WD4MLA Silver Member
27th Oct 2012
Vsteelrider
27th Oct 2012
Steve6344 Silver Member
28th Oct 2012
Vsteelrider
29th Oct 2012
gbowen Gold Member
28th Oct 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
30th Oct 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
30th Oct 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
30th Oct 2012
km6xz Moderator
30th Oct 2012
PAStime Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
landscapestudent
02nd Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
03rd Nov 2012

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 27-Oct-12 11:20 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 27-Oct-12 11:27 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

You might have it too tight. I have a cheap aftermarket type I use, in fact the same model is used on 3 cameras from D90 to D800. Works great, adds security, stability and most important allows relaxed fingers because the weight support of the right side of the camera does not rely on a tight finger grip.
I adjust it so it is loose enough to easily slip my hand into when the camera is hanging by my side on a Black Rapid RS-5 sling strap. It is very fast raising it securely to my eye 1/2 second after extending my hand into the loop of the strap. By bending the fingers slightly with the loose hand strap laying over my knuckles, all the slack is removed and a very firm lock on the camera is obtained while leaving the fingers themselves free and untensioned. That means no finger fatigue from hand-held shooting for hours with a D7000/800, SB900, grip and extra battery plus 70-200 lens mounted. Even a point and shoot can strain fingers if the only support is a death grip on the camera grip with fingers alone.
The first task is relieve neck strain. Get rid of the neck strap.
The neck is really weak in supporting lateral loads but is great for on axis loads(carrying a large camera all day on top of your head will not strain it at all but anything pulling sideways, even a necktie, is liable to induce pain in the neck and stress. Try one of the many sling straps on the market, all are variations or outright copies of the Black Rapid series. An 8 hour shooting project with pro (heavy) glass and a pro (heavy) camera will not even be noticed as the weight is redistributed to the central torso which is better designed for that.
Here is a photo taken with my left hand while the right hand was holding a camera with 70-200 mounted showing the hand strap...$19.
The strap appears to be tight, it is, across the back of my hand only because I have flexed the first joints of the hand, there is a gap between the my palm and the grip so the fingers are free to control any of the buttons and command wheels. When I want to let the camera hang by my side(I took the sling strap off so the mounting of the hand strap could be seen better), I just straighten my first joints and there is 3/4in clearance that opens up and my hand slips out. Using the slight pressure in forming a wedge, a strong hold is established without using much muscle tension. Relax the wedge and the camera is free.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 27-Oct-12 11:21 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RE: How to carry your D7000"

Joanna, US

There are several carrying straps available but I use the
Black Rapid.  It is very convenient and allows for hands free
while walking yet the camera is right at your hip.  The Black
Rapid has several models and price ranges and you can go to
their site for a comparison.  
If you find yourself using a tripod with an L bracket RRS has
an adapter that works great with the strap.  Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 27-Oct-12 11:21 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 27-Oct-12 02:20 PM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

oops - did a double post.

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 27-Oct-12 02:44 PM
896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Sylva, US

I use the Nikonian Pro Strap https://www.ppsna.com/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/875?osCsid=gk1i4a9o1085rl5bnho9iciho7

There are several options for attaching it to your camera and the weight is on your shoulder and not on your neck. Very comfortable for all day use. You also cannot beat the price!

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

Vsteelrider Registered since 13th Oct 2012Sat 27-Oct-12 03:46 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I simply cannot get on with the wrist strap, but I have ordered up an OP/TECH Super Classic Strap Pro Loop in Black.
At £12 its certainly not going to break the bank and reviews look good.
Many Thanks to all.

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 28-Oct-12 12:51 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Aventura, US

I have an Induro tripod and usually have the quick release plate mounted on my camera. It has an eyelet attached to its mounting screw that can be raised and gripped to unscrew the quick release plate instead of using a screwdriver. It also looks like a strap could be attached to it but I don't think that's a good idea because the plate might unscrew inadvertantly. So my question is if I have the quick release plate on what is the best way to attach a carrying strap.

Vsteelrider Registered since 13th Oct 2012Mon 29-Oct-12 03:04 PM
#7. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

>Thanks for all the advice guys.
>I simply cannot get on with the wrist strap, but I have
>ordered up an OP/TECH Super Classic Strap Pro Loop in Black.
>At £12 its certainly not going to break the bank and reviews
>look good.
>Many Thanks to all.

Quick update.
Not being a give up kind of person I have also opted for
OP/TECH SLR Wrist Strap.

This baby is compatible with the classic strap above.
Works on a click to fit basis. It also fits around the wrist and leaves fingers and thumbs totally unrestricted.

Fingers crossed (Sorry bad joke)

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sun 28-Oct-12 08:30 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

Black Rapid Sport 2. Even with a big heavy lens it works like a charm.

George

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 30-Oct-12 11:25 AM
1725 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

I'm a bit late to the party in answering, but - I use the Cotton Carrier Hand Strap and love it. I use it on my D7000 with battery grip and I find I never have to use a neck strap. Also, I have the Cotton Carrier strap for my backpack - when not carrying the camera with the handstrap I can carry the camera on the front of my backpack via the backpack strap - it's great.

check out Cotton Carrier http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

Tom

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Tue 30-Oct-12 02:23 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

US

This fella seems to think neck straps are just fine.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Tue 30-Oct-12 03:23 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 9

HIXSON, US

Uuhh, think that is a head strap.

BTW, the eyes are not in focus.

Charlie

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Tue 30-Oct-12 03:27 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

HIXSON, US

>Many aftermarket units are cheaper but tend to require removal
>to access the battery compartment (a real pain mid shoot).

You have a D7000, and you have to change batteries mid shoot? I once shot a track meet resulting in 916 actuations, and the battery didn't didn't even lose 1 bar. How many shots do you take in a shoot?

Still, I would not like to remove the strap to get to the battery.

Charlie

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 30-Oct-12 04:20 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

St Petersburg, RU

That is one of the many benefits of the vertical grip, batteries can be replaced easily by sliding out the carrier and popping in a fresh battery. If someone goes through 2 batteries(the one in the body and the one in the grip) in a session with a D7000 that would be about 4000 frames. I would think that someone would be more concerned with the time to post process 4000 frames more than the 15 seconds to swap batteries.

Regarding wrist straps versus hand straps, I tried a wrist strap back in the film days and really did not like being locked to the camera so took it off immediately. The hand straps which allow instant removal of my hand from the camera to allow easy lens changes, compatibility with support straps such as the Black Rapid, changing batteries etc.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 31-Oct-12 12:21 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

Kingston, CA

>I once shot a track meet resulting in 916 actuations, and the
>battery didn't didn't even lose 1 bar. How many shots do you
>take in a shoot?

The D7000 is remarkably frugal in its use of battery power. But I've noticed a few things one can do that will quickly accelerate battery consumption:

- long LCD image review time
- heavy use of LiveView
- heavy use of VR
- shooting video

I imagine a long meter off time, tethered shooting, and heavy use of the AF motor might also speed up battery usage - not sure.

Peter

landscapestudent Registered since 31st Oct 2012Fri 02-Nov-12 02:17 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

I've ordered this for mine:

http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultrafit-sling-strap-for-men/

Seems to take the best of the black rapid strap and improved it by making the camera stay in place.

cheers,
johnson

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sat 03-Nov-12 02:04 AM
#15. "RE: How to carry your D7000"
In response to Reply # 14

HIXSON, US

>I've ordered this for mine:
>
>http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultrafit-sling-strap-for-men/
>
>Seems to take the best of the black rapid strap and improved
>it by making the camera stay in place.
>
>cheers,
>johnson

Let me know how that works when you need to attach to a tripod or monopod.

That video has so many things wrong with it:
1) The Man always shoots through the eyepiece.
2) The woman always shoots Liveview. Only problem is, when she isn't shooting she has the articulated monitor (D5100) in the closed position.
3) etc.

Still that might work for you have no need of tripod or monopod. I just never know for sure when I start off on a trek.

Charlie

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21779 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.