Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21740
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Flash Setting Question" Previous topic | Next topic
BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Tue 23-Oct-12 04:16 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Flash Setting Question"

US

When using Commander Mode and a Remote Flash, is it possible to dial down the on-board flash to Zero output, yet still be used as commander?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 23-Oct-12 05:50 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Flash Setting Question"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 23-Oct-12 05:54 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

No it is not since it uses visible light for communications between the remove flash units and the camera.
I assume that is not your real question, possibly how to prevent the commander from contributing to exposure. The answer to that one is: it already does if set to Commander Only mode in the camera flash setup menu. The commander works but generating a burst of light that is actually a pulse position code to sequentially command the groups to fire a low power flash and then the commander calculated the returned light from each group and then issues another quick burst that sets the power of each group based on the calculation.
Then, after all that, the commander sends the command to fire and take the shot. That all happens in a blink of an eye so most people do not notice pre-flashes so do not blink.
When the commander is set to Commander only, the trigger pulse is the last one sent so it is over before the shutter is open, so there is no commander contribution to the exposure.
You can set the commander to fire in manual or TTL mode when the shutter is open so the commander contributes to the exposure.

Once in awhile you get a subject that has super sensitive reaction to the pre-flash sequence resulting in eyes closed due to blinking.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Tue 23-Oct-12 05:53 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Flash Setting Question"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 23-Oct-12 06:05 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Flash Setting Question"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

You can put an IR filter over the pop-flash. Nikon makes the SG-3IR for that purpose.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Tue 23-Oct-12 08:42 PM
#4. "RE: D7000 Flash Setting Question"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thank you the SG-31R looks promising. I suppose there's some light leakage from the sides, but is far less expensive than, say, a wireless setup.

Found this SG-31Rreview on B&H Photo... This review is my setup

Even with the TTL set to -- (off) for the primary flash on my D7000, I was still getting shadows on my green screen making it more difficult to isolate my subjects. I popped on the SG-3IR and voila, no more shadow. The two SB-700s still flash just as they should, but the camera flash is completely blocked and all is glorious... well, some of the male Karate instructors could use a makeover, but the photos are great!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21740 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.