Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21708
View in linear mode

Subject: "Auto Flash being activated in Auto mode when taking Day..." Previous topic | Next topic
starwarrior Registered since 22nd Oct 2012Mon 22-Oct-12 01:40 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Auto Flash being activated in Auto mode when taking Daytime, bright shots"

US

D7000 / Nikon 50mm AF-S F1.4G

I am not quite sure why my flash is popping up when I am taking Bright Daytime outdoor shots in Auto mode???

Is this normal or not???

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Auto Flash being activated in Auto mode when taking...
dm1dave Administrator
22nd Oct 2012
km6xz Moderator
22nd Oct 2012
starwarrior
22nd Oct 2012
km6xz Moderator
23rd Oct 2012
mdallie Silver Member
23rd Oct 2012
km6xz Moderator
25th Oct 2012
elec164 Silver Member
25th Oct 2012
mdallie Silver Member
26th Oct 2012

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 22-Oct-12 02:34 AM
11301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Auto Flash being activated in Auto mode when taking Daytime, bright shots"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 22-Oct-12 02:35 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Most likely the cameras matrix metering is judging that your subject (usually the area directly under your focus point) needs fill flash to be properly exposed. This will happen often with backlit or sidelit subjects or when your subject is in the shade and the background is lite with full sun.

If you want to stop the flash from popping up but still want the camera choose aperture and shutter speed use P (programed auto) mode.

I hope this helps.

Welcome to Nikonians!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 22-Oct-12 07:54 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Auto Flash being activated in Auto mode when taking Daytime, bright shots"
In response to Reply # 1

St Petersburg, RU

In addition to what Dave wrote there is an Auto mode that suppresses the flash. Next to the Green Auto mode position is a small flash symbol and a crossed circle. That is full Auto just like the Green Auto mode but without automatic flash. It will not pop up the flash in that mode.

Try experimenting with full auto and let the flash pop up and compare. You might find that in strong backlight situations where the main subject is darker than the background, the added fill flash works beautifully in balancing the backlight exposure with main subject exposure.
I use my flash in daylight much of the time. The subject does not notice the flash much since the ambient light has their eyes light adapted. You will find that the fill flash also producing a more pleasing fill compared to direct close flash in dark environments. The camera is very smart in figuring out how to balance ambient light with subject illumination. It works best within a reasonable distance, less than 15 feet or so unless the backlight is just barely brighter than the subject, in which case greater effective distance is possible.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

starwarrior Registered since 22nd Oct 2012Mon 22-Oct-12 10:29 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Auto Flash being activated in Auto mode when taking Daytime, bright shots"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 22-Oct-12 10:30 AM by starwarrior

US

Hi Stan,

The D7000 is an upgrade from my ol reliable D200 and so far I am really impressed. Thanks for the advice, I tried the non-flash automatic mode last night and it worked out just fine. Some realitively close pics were getting washed out with the flash and bouncing only works well if their is something close to bounce the light off of.(The main reason I spent twice the price for a 1.4 in lieu of the 1.8) It seemed logical if the 1.4 gathers twice the light I would not need to use the flash in lower light situations. This has to be true regardless however in outdoor shots the flash is evidently being determined from the main focus point which is great for fill flash (like you mentioned) but the camera does not take into consideration the amount of available light. Say for instance a bright day and a Pellican setting on a piling at the marina; great ambient light but to distant for the flash to be effective. Unfortunately in spur of the moment shots, you don't have much time to make adjustments.
I guess the automatic mode has its own set of ambitguities and the reason why they have multiple automatic modes. In this case I can simply turn it off.(lol)
On the good side, I don't use my SB-800 nearly as much since the internal flash automatically pops up. That sucker gets kind of heavy and it knocks the camera off balance.
Again, thanks for your advice, it was helpful. (Great Camera)

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 23-Oct-12 06:21 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Auto Flash being activated in Auto mode when taking Daytime, bright shots"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

Using lenses that send distance information the flash does calculate subject distance, versus ambient for a crude BL mode but for TTL BL to really "shine", the intelligence built into the later SB series flashes is remarkable. By leaving the D7000 and shoe mounted SB900/700/910 flash in TTL BL mode not only does it work well for Balanced ambient and subject exposure but for none fill or balancing scenes. The D800 does not work the same way as my D7000 which can be left in BL mode for all sorts of ambient conditions. Each new model seems to work with flash, with Auto ISO and metering a little differently so it takes some playing to grasp the differences.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Tue 23-Oct-12 11:04 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Auto Flash being activated in Auto mode when taking Daytime, bright shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Novi, US

I am personally annoyed by this situation. I shoot in aperture priority, but I frequently get the flashing light telling me I need flash, even in bright daylight. I now just ignore it, but it is ridiculous.

Mike

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 25-Oct-12 05:49 AM
#6. "RE: Auto Flash being activated in Auto mode when taking Daytime, bright shots"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

Mike, it is telling you some useful information. Even if you do not want to use flash for fill and balance, you can note it and reposition your shooting angle or the subject so the subject is not having strong shadows in the exposure calculation. If the imbalance if due to strong backlight, just take a few steps to the side or even get on the opposite side of the subject so there is stronger subject illumination and the flash indicator will turn off, and your subject will have better exposure in relation to the overall scene.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 25-Oct-12 01:27 PM
1980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Auto Flash being activated in Auto mode when taking Daytime, bright shots"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>I am personally annoyed by this situation.
>
>I now just ignore it, but it is ridiculous.

If you find it annoying and never use it as a heeded warning, then why not just turn Custom Setting D12 to off?

Pete

Pete

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Fri 26-Oct-12 02:14 AM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Auto Flash being activated in Auto mode when taking Daytime, bright shots"
In response to Reply # 7

Novi, US

>>I am personally annoyed by this situation.
>>
>>I now just ignore it, but it is ridiculous.
>
>If you find it annoying and never use it as a heeded warning,
>then why not just turn Custom Setting D12 to off?
>
>Pete
>

LOL. The reason is: that I didn't know that D12 would fix this! LOL

Thanks, Pete. A little surprised by this. I bought Thom Hogan's book and spent a lot of time configuring the settings. I can only guess that when I set it up it was a setting that I wanted on. And it was probably many months later, long after I'd forgotten that setting, before I ran into the issue.

Pete has, once again for me, proven the value of a Nikonians membership.

Mike

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21708 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.