Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2168
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 and its hair trigger" Previous topic | Next topic
intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Sat 20-Nov-10 04:05 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 and its hair trigger"

NZ

Just wiondering if this is something that's on all D7000s.

Mine seems to have a hair trigger!!

My D7k's shutter button has a very small distance between the point at which the focus is engaged and when the shutter is released.

It gives the imprssion that the shutter is released very soon after focus is engaged! Its certainly much quicker than the D300 that I have.

I am wondering if other people also have a hair trigger on their D7000.

It takes a bit of getting used to and I am having to slow down and make sure I don't press the shutter button too far and take the picture before the VR has had time to stablise the image!!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 and its hair trigger
Chris Ross Leong
20th Nov 2010
Holmes375 Silver Member
20th Nov 2010
Chris Ross Leong
21st Nov 2010
pdekman Gold Member
20th Nov 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
21st Nov 2010
B LaRue
21st Nov 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
21st Nov 2010
B LaRue
21st Nov 2010
pdekman Gold Member
22nd Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
22nd Nov 2010
OpticalSerenity
26th Nov 2010
                              Reply message RE: D7000 and its hair trigger-another issue
morrison Silver Member
29th Nov 2010
chgortari Silver Member
01st Dec 2010
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
06th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
06th Dec 2010
06th Dec 2010
                         Reply message AF-ON
poc Silver Member
09th Dec 2010
                              Reply message RE: AF-ON
09th Dec 2010
Obes Silver Member
30th Nov 2010
intrepidnz
30th Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
01st Dec 2010
intrepidnz
01st Dec 2010
waxart
09th Dec 2010
km6xz Moderator
09th Dec 2010

Chris Ross Leong Registered since 18th Nov 2010Sat 20-Nov-10 04:16 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 0

Sherman Oaks, US

I *love* mine!

For me, less trigger movement means less camera shake.
Which means the D7000 is a more "responsive" camera.
Like a sports car, responsive doesn't mean comfortable.
It's designed to get your heart racing and your nerves pumping, man!

And a beginning driver in a sports car?
Not.

Slow down, breathe easy, out, in, out in, out, half in and hold, squeeze between heart beats... wait, that's something else.

JM2c
YMMV
Cheers!
Chris

Holmes375 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2006Sat 20-Nov-10 05:31 PM
1523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I noticed this too, and I'm now convinced it may be the reason I could not duplicate keeper rates with the D7000 as compared to a D300 and D2Hs. Subjects were running dogs.

I'm sure I'd get used to it over time but going back and forth between bodies would be an issue for me as much of my dog action work is in the dead of winter and I'm wearing gloves. The D7000 shutter and gloved hands are not a great combination, in my opinion. This may well not be of consequence to most shooters.

I've decided to pass on the D7000 and keep the D300 around for a while longer.

-Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

Chris Ross Leong Registered since 18th Nov 2010Sun 21-Nov-10 12:15 AM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 2

Sherman Oaks, US

Holmes - hello!
You're right. It's one thing to be snapping a model in a studio under controlled conditions in (sunny) Los Angeles, and quite another to be in gloves in the snow shooting running dogs.
In that case, even the D90 would be better than the D7k.
Cheers!
Chris

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 20-Nov-10 07:14 PM
1027 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

I decouple the focus from the shutter button (AF-On) so have not noticed. This might offer a convenient solution for you.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 21-Nov-10 02:18 AM
3134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 3

Monterey Bay, US

>I decouple the focus from the shutter button (AF-On) so have
>not noticed. This might offer a convenient solution for you.
>
We do Sport Events.
AF-ON is the only way to go.
It is much easier to prefocus.
You can even hold it down while you shoot a series of action shots.

You might also reduce the CL shooting speed to 3fps or less until you get used to it.
Mine is set for 4.

B LaRue Registered since 04th Nov 2010Sun 21-Nov-10 03:54 AM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I noticed the same thing, hair trigger. I'll have to try decoupling the focus from the shutter button and see if I like that. That is, if I figure out how! I've sure taken a few pictures I didn't intend on just yet!

I really love the tone and color of the images the D7000 produces. They look very different than my D300 images. And the low noise at high ISOs shocks me when I look at them.

Betty

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 21-Nov-10 04:24 AM
3134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

Memu/f Controls/f5 Assign AE-L/AF-L button/AF-ON

d Shooting /display d6/CL mode shooting speed/3fps

B LaRue Registered since 04th Nov 2010Sun 21-Nov-10 02:05 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Ah, thanks!

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Mon 22-Nov-10 03:00 AM
1027 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 8

Swisher, US

Once programmed for AF-On, also set your AF Mode to AF-C.

Now, your thumb can perform manual focus (don't press it), single-servo focus (press and release) and continuous focus (press and hold) in parallel with the shutter release. For VR lenses, this also allows focusing to occur without engaging VR each time. It may take a day to get used to it, but most love it once learned.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 22-Nov-10 01:43 PM
2139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I think it's a feel thing. When I went from a D80 to a D200, the D200 took a good bit more effort to fire the shutter, and it's because of the extra gasket sealing related to the shutter release. The D300 feels identical to the D200.

At first I'd preferred the D80's lighter action! Then the D200 became more familiar... and I acclimatized.

The D7000, to me, feels more in the D80 style. I'm actually preferring it because I feel it enables me to more consistently squeeze the shutter release more than jab. It reminds me of my older Olympus OM-1 which had one of the smoothest shutters ever made.

It's a subtle "feel" thing (IMO), but one that can easily be adjusted to.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Fri 26-Nov-10 07:52 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 10

Atlanta, US

I did this and it's great. Yes, the D7000 has a super sensitive shutter button, but I like that. Like it's been said, it's better to prevent the camera from moving. I'm hoping the MB-MD11 has the same button sensitivity.

morrison Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2007Mon 29-Nov-10 06:19 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger-another issue"
In response to Reply # 11

Pineville, US

Because of the increased sensitivity, I also found that I double-fire occasionally. My technique is to gently apply pressure to the shutter button until release and then stop. I find that the increased sensitivity of the button causes me to get an occasional double. If I consciously press on through after release, it never doubles. The sensitive bottom will just take some gettng used to. I really like the new feel and after 1500 images from my Hawaii trip last week, I hardly ever double anymore. Coming from A D80 and a D200, both of which I love, the D7000 is an awesome camera.

Bill

bill morrison
Louisiana, USA

chgortari Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2010Wed 01-Dec-10 12:43 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed 01-Dec-10 12:53 AM by chgortari

El Paso, US

I don't follow the procedure in post #9?

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Mon 06-Dec-10 03:39 AM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 9

New HArtford, US

>Once programmed for AF-On, also set your AF Mode to AF-C.
>
>Now, your thumb can perform manual focus (don't press it),
>single-servo focus (press and release) and continuous focus
>(press and hold) in parallel with the shutter release. For VR
>lenses, this also allows focusing to occur without engaging VR
>each time. It may take a day to get used to it, but most love
>it once learned.
>
>
I have read that a lot of sports shooters prefer AF-on. Does it perform focusing better in anyway?
I never understood why people would use it
The benefits I see are;
- if the hair-trigger shutter is problematic
- save battery with no VR during focus, but VR often helps me compose and I think works better if engaged before shutter release

I would think that true single servo would give a more accurate focus than your method of press and release. Have you found similar results?

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 06-Dec-10 05:23 AM
#19. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 18

Monterey Bay, US

>>Once programmed for AF-On, also set your AF Mode to
>AF-C.
>>
>>Now, your thumb can perform manual focus (don't press
>it),
>>single-servo focus (press and release) and continuous
>focus
>>(press and hold) in parallel with the shutter release.
>For VR
>>lenses, this also allows focusing to occur without
>engaging VR
>>each time. It may take a day to get used to it, but most
>love
>>it once learned.
>>
>>
>I have read that a lot of sports shooters prefer AF-on. Does
>it perform focusing better in anyway?
>I never understood why people would use it<

Answer:
For one thing holding the AF-ON button allows constant focus while taking multiple shots when you are tracking a subject.
It does this for you whether you are taking stills or movies.

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Mon 06-Dec-10 10:39 AM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 19

New HArtford, US

>Answer:
>For one thing holding the AF-ON button allows constant focus
>while taking multiple shots when you are tracking a subject.
>It does this for you whether you are taking stills or movies.
>

I thought the camera will focus while taking multiple shots weather or not AF-On is used. Is this incorrect?

JohnE Nikon

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Thu 09-Dec-10 03:15 AM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "AF-ON"
In response to Reply # 9

Glenview, US

Hello Paul,
It's been a while, but I am hoping you return to this thread, as I think you have really hit on something very useful for me.
Perhaps you can clarify a couple of points for us:
1. How can your thumb perform manual focus by not pressing the button? do you mean that your left hand is manual focusing on the lens?

2. What is the advantage of not engaging VR every time you focus? Also, I would assume that VR engages once you touch the shutter?

Thank you,

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Thu 09-Dec-10 10:48 AM
#24. "RE: AF-ON"
In response to Reply # 22

New HArtford, US

>
>2. What is the advantage of not engaging VR every time you
>focus? Also, I would assume that VR engages once you touch the
>shutter?
>
>Thank you,
>
>POC

The only advantage I could see is that you save battery life.
VR will begin to engage with shutter release, but unless halfway depress prior to picture may not be fully engaged.

JohnE Nikon

Obes Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2009Tue 30-Nov-10 10:16 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 0

Brisbane, AU

Yup hair trigger ... but I love it so smooth.

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Tue 30-Nov-10 04:09 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 13

NZ

Well, I just got an email back from Nikon who say that its not normal for the camera. Mind you, it could just be an interpretation of what I wrote so I will go to the shop I bought it from, check out one of the other D7000 and then decide whether to send my camera in for a check.

But it does sound as though its normal for the D7000, going from the posts on here.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 01-Dec-10 01:09 AM
2139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 14

US

"Hair-trigger" is so subjective and impossible to analyze via a forum. To me, the D7000 shutter release is definitely less detented than the D200 (which was also different from the D80). But after taking a few hundred shots, it's easy for me to know exactly when the D7000 will enact focus, and when it will fire...

I think it's just a feel type of thing that is different, and takes a little getting used to...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Wed 01-Dec-10 05:22 PM
#17. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 14

NZ

Well, to answer my own question, I took my D7000 back to the shop and then tested mine against the shop demo.

Guess what? No difference!!

I am happy with that! Will just continue to take heaps of pictures with it!!

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Thu 09-Dec-10 01:41 AM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 17

Vallejo, US

I am grateful for the advice about AF-ON. I have arthritis and was constantly shooting multiple images with my D7000 accidentally. Now I can control the whole thing just fin

Attachment #1, ( file)

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 09-Dec-10 06:37 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: D7000 and its hair trigger"
In response to Reply # 21

St Petersburg, RU

The AF-On button might not be in the perfect position or you, it isn't on the D90 but you get used to it. The vertical grip however has it in the perfect position for portrait mode and in that position, the thicker grip area will be more comfortable for someone with arthritis.
I just recently switched to AF-On and like it a lot but when changing to portrait mode with the grip, the feel and balance even better, perfect in fact.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2168 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.