Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21634
View in linear mode

Subject: "3rd Party Charger Woe" Previous topic | Next topic
Wolphin Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2012Thu 18-Oct-12 11:38 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"3rd Party Charger Woe"

Calgary, CA

Well, I ignored the little voice in the back of my head that was saying I'd be sorry when I ordered a 3rd party charger, because I could then plug it directly into my 12V of my vehicle, in addition to household power.

Well, I had left my camera on with GPS attached (and the genuine grip--replaced the wiggly 3rd party grip...), and drained both my genuine batteries (yes, I paid for a genuine battery locally). I plugged both of my chargers into a surge bar before bed.

When I got up in the morning, noticed the genuine charger was done but the other wasn't, so I took the 1 battery, and moved the other to the genuine charger, thinking the 3rd party charger was just slow (not too surprising). Once I got back from work that day, popped that into my camera, and it suddenly changed its age from 0 (since it is only 2 months old...) to a surprising 2!

The single charge on the 3rd party charger had stole half of the battery's life overnight!

I'm hoping the seller of the battery charger is willing to compensate me, since I was using it to charge the battery it was listed for charging.

Lessen Learned: Buy and use only genuine parts, whenever possible, especially where major components (grip), or power (battery/charger) are concerned! *Starts saving to get a 2nd charger & replacement battery*

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 3rd Party Charger Woe
four eighty sparky Silver Member
19th Oct 2012
Wolphin Silver Member
19th Oct 2012
PAStime Silver Member
19th Oct 2012
km6xz Moderator
19th Oct 2012
Wolphin Silver Member
19th Oct 2012

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Fri 19-Oct-12 12:14 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 3rd Party Charger Woe"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You really think the charged 'aged' the battery and took two years off it's usable life?

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Wolphin Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2012Fri 19-Oct-12 01:50 AM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 3rd Party Charger Woe"
In response to Reply # 1

Calgary, CA

>You really think the charged 'aged' the battery and took two
>years off it's usable life?
It may have... no way to tell at this time. I still have my original D80's battery saying age of 0, and it is about 5 years old!

All I do know is that it did negatively impact something in the battery, and when that was not stated when I purchased it and it said it was designed for my d7k and the battery, I'm going to at least give them the chance to redeem themselves.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 19-Oct-12 02:12 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 3rd Party Charger Woe"
In response to Reply # 2

Kingston, CA

Yes, I'd follow up with the seller.

If that doesn't work, perhaps the battery isn't damaged. Perhaps it is just as good as it was and only the lifetime meter has been altered.

Peter

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 19-Oct-12 04:07 PM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 3rd Party Charger Woe"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

Most likely the charger is not fully compatible with the batteries so it did not get a complete charge. Try charging the "old" battery in the Nikon charger and see if it behaves nice.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Wolphin Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2012Fri 19-Oct-12 06:09 PM
#5. "RE: 3rd Party Charger Woe"
In response to Reply # 4

Calgary, CA

Did a full discharge in the camera's grip (GPS meters always-on is good for that...) till it swapped to the internal after depleting it, and then a full recharge in the genuine charger... still life of 2

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21634 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.