Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21607
View in linear mode

Subject: "U1 & U2 question." Previous topic | Next topic
goose42195 Registered since 17th Oct 2012Wed 17-Oct-12 04:57 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"U1 & U2 question."

Wantagh, US

Hello all. I'm new to this site. I've used Nikon Cameras my whole life, and recently upgraded to a D7000. I have a question about the "User modes". While I'm shooting action shots of my daughter's soccer games, I like the automatic scene selection of "action" (you know, that silly looking running man), but would like to tweak some of the settings. The only problem is that the camera will not allow certain things to be modified while in the scene selection mode. I would like to bump up the sharpness, change to Vivid with a slight bump in saturation, etc., etc. Is there any way of overriding this? I know some of you will say, "Just set the camera the way you like it in manual mode, then save it to U1 or U2. The only problem, is that I like the scene selection mode picking the fast shutter speed for me. It usually fluctuates from 800 to 1000 and even up to 1100, to gain the correct exposure. How can I mimic this? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: U1 & U2 question.
Bravozulu Silver Member
17th Oct 2012
goose42195
17th Oct 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
18th Oct 2012
MotoMannequin Moderator
18th Oct 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
18th Oct 2012
goose42195
19th Oct 2012

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 17-Oct-12 05:59 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: U1 & U2 question."
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

Some of the contributors to this site are masters on D7000 technique. I wrestled for months getting my U1 & U2 settings.

I think you have 30 minutes of detail work ahead of you. First, you would need to copy down all the settings in the Scene mode you prefer to keep.

Since your objective is soccer, I would then go to the Shutter Priority Mode as your basic choice. And 1/500th ought to be fast enough. To that, add all Scene configurations your wrote down. It will take a bit of time.

Finally, go to SETUP MENU (wrench symbol) and navigate to Save User Settings. Choose U1 or U2, select save and you are done.

The variables offered to you by this sophisticated camera can be overwhelming. But the starting point is usually --- What is my subject matter?.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

goose42195 Registered since 17th Oct 2012Wed 17-Oct-12 11:20 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: U1 & U2 question."
In response to Reply # 1

Wantagh, US

Thanks for the reply. Do you know, or does anyone else know, if there is a way of setting the camera, so that shutter-speed-wise, it will utilize a range of shutter speeds, similar to how the scene mode does it?

John.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 18-Oct-12 04:40 AM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: U1 & U2 question."
In response to Reply # 2

Los Angeles, US

In the Program Mode (P), you can choose shutter/aperture pairs that give an identical exposure setting. So, if you want faster, you spin the Main Command Wheel (rear, top).

Of course you get the same effect by simply using "S", for Shutter. You change the speed, and the correct exposure is set by matching the correct Aperture.

Why not just set a high shutter speed, and let the camera pick the lens opening? If the light isn't strong enough, then increase the ISO setting. Professional sports photographers live in the S Mode. They have to, because of the speed of action.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 18-Oct-12 04:45 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: U1 & U2 question."
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

To answer your specific question, set the camera in (A)perture Priority mode. If you can't choose aperture based on experience, then look at some of your photos with the scene mode and choose aperture based on that. If you're in low to moderate light, this will probably be wide open on your telephoto. Then enable Auto ISO and choose a minimum shutter speed of 1/800. Now the camera will hold aperture constant, and adjust ISO to maintain exposure, while keep shutter speed at or above 1/800.

BTW I'm not a sports shooter but 1/800 sounds a bit faster than necessary. Someone more knowledgeable than me could chime in, or perhaps you should ask for more general advice in the sports shooting forum, where you'll find lots of experience and help.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 18-Oct-12 08:52 PM
#5. "RE: U1 & U2 question."
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

better!

goose42195 Registered since 17th Oct 2012Fri 19-Oct-12 04:07 PM
#6. "RE: U1 & U2 question."
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 19-Oct-12 04:07 PM by goose42195

Wantagh, US

Good advice! Thanks Larry, and "BZ"

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21607 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.