Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21597
View in linear mode

Subject: "Dust on the sensor or not" Previous topic | Next topic
bacil Basic MemberWed 17-Oct-12 05:16 AM
420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Dust on the sensor or not"

Excelsior, US

I just purchased a used D7000. There seems to be a dust when I look through the viewfinder. However, it does not show on the pictures that I took. So, it may not be a dust on the camera sensor. I have tried to search for this issue but I could not find anything. Usually it's either dust or oil that do show on the pictures.

I have tried using the built-in camera cleaner and rocket blower to clean the sensor (in case it's on the sensor) but was not successful. Any idea what that is or where that thing may be?

I know it should not be a problem because it does not affect the pictures, but it does bother me. So, I appreciate any help.

Ferdi

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Dust on the sensor or not
luckyphoto Silver Member
17th Oct 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
17th Oct 2012
aolander Silver Member
17th Oct 2012
bacil
17th Oct 2012
bacil
17th Oct 2012
benmlee
17th Oct 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
18th Oct 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
18th Oct 2012
bacil
19th Oct 2012
bacil
19th Oct 2012

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Wed 17-Oct-12 10:16 AM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Dust on the sensor or not"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Have you checked the viewfinder for dust? Usually dust or oil will affect the photo, but you state that the photo is not affected. There's also a possibility it could be on the mirror rather than the sensor.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 17-Oct-12 12:29 PM
2886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Dust on the sensor or not"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 17-Oct-12 01:34 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

You probably have dust on the focusing screen. If you can't remove it with the rocket blower it is most likely on the screen just before the prism. That would require removing the screen for cleaning. That's not something I attempt myself. Dirt on the mirror or behind the eyepiece will not be in focus and will only reduce contrast while viewing through the viewfinder and not show up as dust spots.

Len

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 17-Oct-12 01:41 PM
3173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Dust on the sensor or not"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Anytime you can see dust in the viewfinder it's NOT on the sensor. As Leonard has pointed out, it's on the focusing screen. If it's on the bottom, a blower may dislodge it.

Alan

bacil Basic MemberWed 17-Oct-12 08:05 PM
420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Dust on the sensor or not"
In response to Reply # 0

Excelsior, US

Thank you very much everyone. I did clean the viewfinder without any result. So, it's not there. I will try the focusing screen but I need to make sure I'm not ruining the camera. So, research time again.

Many thanks, i learn a new thing.

Ferdi

bacil Basic MemberWed 17-Oct-12 08:07 PM
#5. "RE: Dust on the sensor or not"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 17-Oct-12 08:10 PM by bacil

Excelsior, US

Larry, Len, and Alan,

Mirror and the screen are different right? I will try the screen Len. Hopefully it will work out with the rocket blower without having to take it off.

Ferdi

benmlee Registered since 03rd Jul 2012Wed 17-Oct-12 10:32 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Dust on the sensor or not"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Larry, Len, and Alan,
>
>Mirror and the screen are different right? I will try the
>screen Len. Hopefully it will work out with the rocket blower
>without having to take it off.
>
>Ferdi

Mirror is the one that is at 45degree angle when you remove the lens. The focus screen is the one on top of the chamber. If you see the dust clearly, is very likely is the focusing screen.
Look closely at the screen, there is actually a spring wire that holds it in place. The screen is removable, and you can change it for another one that has split prism etc. for manual focus. Dust can be in front of the screen or behind the screen. Like Len said, think twice of your ability before sticking a screw driver on the wire to open it. A slip means you scratch something else.
Look at focusingscreens.com for instuction to remove the screen.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 18-Oct-12 02:08 PM
2886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Dust on the sensor or not"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

>Larry, Len, and Alan,
>
>Mirror and the screen are different right? I will try the
>screen Len. Hopefully it will work out with the rocket blower
>without having to take it off.
>
>Ferdi

Yes. The screen is fixed and the mirror is at a 45˚ angle to the lens. I still think it's the screen. Make note of where the particles are before and after using the rocket blower. Use the blower several times to see if the spots move or if some of them disappear. Even if the dust is behind the screen, vibration from the forced air against the screen can make them move. The same thing happened with my son's D3s. We even took it to my shop where the camera was purchased and they could not remove all the spots with a blower. Since the spots were driving my son crazy we decided to send the camera to Nikon. They fixed it fine but it was expensive. The dirt was on the prism. Nikon charged $128 to clean it. That included both way shipping from our local shop. So depending on where the spots are and whether it bothers you or not you can ignore it, carefully clean it yourself or have a repair service clean it.

Len

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 18-Oct-12 02:01 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Dust on the sensor or not"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Small particles of dust may be on the mirror and when you look through the viewfinder they are visible. I may be mistaken, but the dust located on the mirror would be opposite of in the viewfinder. I have had this occur many times and used a blower to dislodge the dust. Sometimes it would relocate in the viewfinder so I'd try again until it wasn't visible. The main thing is that it doesn't show on your photos but just an irritation when looking through the viewfinder. Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

bacil Basic MemberFri 19-Oct-12 01:29 AM
#9. "RE: Dust on the sensor or not"
In response to Reply # 7

Excelsior, US

I think I will try with the screen first with blower. No screwdriver yet

bacil Basic MemberFri 19-Oct-12 04:16 AM
#10. "RE: Dust on the sensor or not"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 19-Oct-12 04:16 AM by bacil

Excelsior, US

IT WORKS. Thank you so much everyone. The dust is gone, it's on the screen. You are all the best.

Have a great weekend.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21597 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.