Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21573
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 and older PB6 Bellows" Previous topic | Next topic
pittendrigh Registered since 20th Sep 2011Mon 15-Oct-12 11:10 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 and older PB6 Bellows"

Bozeman, US

I have a 20 year old Nikon PB6 bellows. I originally used it with an older film camera. I found I was able to use it with a D70, if I used a closeup ring between camera and bellows, so the bellows would physically clear D70's body.

I bought a D7000 and had no problem doing the same (closeup ring between camera body and bellows). The bellows does have a manual lever that it supposed to close down the lens to a manually chosen F-stop for shooting. You leave that lever open for focusing.

All of this did work earlier this year, as the following photo demonstrates. But now, when I try to set the D7000 (and the lens) into manual mode the camera's information display announces F0 (F-zero) with no opportunity to choose F-22 or perhaps F-32.

What........have I done wrong? How do I get this working again?

http://montana-riverboats.com/Uploads/Callibaetis.jpg

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 15-Oct-12 11:45 PM
3199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 and older PB6 Bellows"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

If you have data entered for non-CPU lenses, even with no lens attached the camera should show the maximum aperture of the last lens manual lens you used. Do you have non-CPU data entered?

Alan

pittendrigh Registered since 20th Sep 2011Mon 15-Oct-12 11:51 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 and older PB6 Bellows"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 16-Oct-12 12:05 AM by pittendrigh

Bozeman, US

:=))

I don't know non-CPU data entered means.
But it's possible I have a non-issue.
I see the manual lever on the bellows does set the iris to what ever F-stop I have manually chosen on the lens itself. The digital readout on the camera body is confused. But so what.

ASA 1600
1/250 second, F-32 and maximum strobe from my Alien Bees umbrella strobes is still too dark.
I'll try F-22.

But perhaps the confused camera body doesn't really matter. I'm using manual exposure anyway.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 16-Oct-12 12:03 AM
3199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 and older PB6 Bellows"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 16-Oct-12 12:07 AM by aolander

Nevis, US

The D7000 has the capability to meter with older, manual focus lenses. These lenses have no electronic contacts, i.e. they are non-CPU lenses. I'm not familiar with the exact procedure to set up non-CPU lenses on a D7000, but look in your owner's manual under "Non-CPU lenses".

Any lens, whether it's a CPU lens or non-CPU lens, will function as a non-CPU lens when mounted on a bellows or Nikon extension tube as there is no electrical connectivity between camera and lens when using these accessories. You will have to enter the lens data (maximum aperture and focal length) for whatever lens you're using on the bellows by following the instructions in the owner's manual under "Non-CPU lenses". This will allow the camera to display the aperture and to meter.

Edit:

As you said the "camera is confused" and it will still take pictures and meter even if you don't enter the lens information.

Alan

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21573 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.