Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21549
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best way to shoot small dogs in this situation?" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 15-Oct-12 12:25 PM
285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best way to shoot small dogs in this situation?"

Aventura, US

I would like to shoot small dogs at a park. I would like to hold the camera at about knee level without looking through the viewfinder and without live view. I point the camera in the general direction of the dogs when they are relatively still. If possible I would like to blur the background so am guessing I would like to use aperture prioeity at about F3.5. I am using an 1.8 lens. What is the best way to set the exposure, and focusing modes to get good results?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best way to shoot small dogs in this situation?
J_Harris Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
PAStime Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
Steve6344 Silver Member
17th Oct 2012
tfeazel Silver Member
17th Oct 2012
mudman2 Silver Member
17th Oct 2012
elec164 Silver Member
17th Oct 2012
blw Moderator
17th Oct 2012
benmlee
17th Oct 2012

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Mon 15-Oct-12 01:21 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best way to shoot small dogs in this situation?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 15-Oct-12 02:13 PM by J_Harris

US

Providing you are physically able to do so, wouldn't it be easier and more accurate to just assume a prone position using your elbows for yourself and camera support. You can then use either the viewfinder or live view for proper framing, focus, etc. It might even be a good conversation starter when dog owners see how serious you are at taking pictures of their pets .

The only caveats would be to wear "casual" clothing, and look carefully for doggy residue before laying down .

Jerry

Edited to add: You haven't filled in your "equipment profile" yet, but if you have a tripod with a head adjusted to a sitting height that would give you a good (low) perspective and be better than both the options above. Holding your camera at knee-level as you described and expecting good results doesn't sound like you would have many "keepers".

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Mon 15-Oct-12 04:45 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best way to shoot small dogs in this situation?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You could, as Jerry suggested, get down-n-dirty. You can carry a small section of painter's tarp to avoid the dirty bit. It's always best to use your eyes when taking a picture.

If you're unable assume the prone position, the next suggestion would be to get long glass, and stand quite a bit away. This minimizes the angle of perspective, and can yield nice results. Maybe in this situation you could get down on one knee and shoot, and get good results.

If you're committed to shooting blindly, I'd start by practicing doing so, and I'd mount a speedlite, AF-S mode, assisted focus, and shoot in the evening so that you can see the assistance light from the flash hitting your target. Observe the angle of the camera to the target, how wide you have to go, yada yada. The eliminate the speedlite, and practice some more. Ultimately, I'd try AF-C 9 point, and see how that does.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 15-Oct-12 11:15 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best way to shoot small dogs in this situation?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

>I would like to shoot small dogs at a park.

Good thing this is a photography forum!

>I would like to
>hold the camera at about knee level without looking through
>the viewfinder and without live view.

I have to ask: why not LiveView? I find that LiveView at a distance and severe angle is sometimes still good enough to show me an outline of my subject. I only see a rough outline at this angle but it confirms I'm on subject.

>If possible I would like to blur the background

That makes it difficult as a blurred background means shallow DOF which then means accurate focus is needed. Otherwise, you could do like "street shooters" do. They set their camera to something like f16 and manual focus to something like 15 or 20 feet.

Peter

My gallery (a work in progress): http://peterstokes.net/Exhibit

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Wed 17-Oct-12 02:02 PM
285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Best way to shoot small dogs in this situation?"
In response to Reply # 3

Aventura, US

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I wanted to try prefocussing manually but did some depth of field (DOF) calculations and have come to the conclusion that the DOF will be too small to accurately focus. I am going to try live view and will upload some results.

tfeazel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2004Wed 17-Oct-12 02:08 PM
402 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Best way to shoot small dogs in this situation?"
In response to Reply # 0

Polk City, US

i can't resist:
my first preference would be a s&w .357.
for the purposes of stealth in a park, however, a high power pellet gun would serve the purpose if the shots were carefully placed.

sometimes i hate myself.

Tom

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Wed 17-Oct-12 02:36 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Best way to shoot small dogs in this situation?"
In response to Reply # 5

Jamison, US

Nor I

Collapsible laptop table, low level tripod, Laptop with Nikon Camera Control Pro and a USB cable

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 17-Oct-12 03:40 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Best way to shoot small dogs in this situation?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

> What is the best way to set the exposure, and focusing modes to get good results?

One thing not touched upon so far is that if you are using one of the auto or semi-auto modes without having your eye to the viewfinder, be sure and cover it to prevent stray light from entering the eyepiece and throwing off the exposure.

Pete

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 17-Oct-12 10:11 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Best way to shoot small dogs in this situation?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I can't think of a way to do this without being on the ground. If I were doing this, I'd dress appropriately - and bring suitable equipment, meaning a tarp, blanket, plastic bag, etc.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

benmlee Registered since 03rd Jul 2012Wed 17-Oct-12 10:24 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Best way to shoot small dogs in this situation?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Why don't you set the focus priority to focus then select one focus point in the center. Hold the shutter button down and wait for a dog to walk by. When dog is in focus, camera takes a picture. Then you are sure dog is in focus and in center of the frame.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21549 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.