Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21521
View in linear mode

Subject: "Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots" Previous topic | Next topic
NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Sun 14-Oct-12 04:03 PM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots"
Sun 14-Oct-12 04:06 PM by NDGraham

Dorval (Montreal), CA

I took these two moonies within minutes of each other on October 3rd using my 70-200 f/2.8VR with a TC-20E III 2x tc on my D300 (first shot) and D7000. Interesting how the denser pixel count on the D7000 seems to give more detail. (Both shots handheld.)
Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots
JosephK Silver Member
14th Oct 2012
km6xz Moderator
14th Oct 2012
NDGraham Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
Linesider36 Silver Member
14th Oct 2012
NDGraham Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
Chris Platt Silver Member
14th Oct 2012
PAStime Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
NDGraham Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
PAStime Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
NDGraham Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
Chris Platt Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
PennsyBill Silver Member
16th Oct 2012
MotoMannequin Moderator
16th Oct 2012

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 14-Oct-12 06:53 PM
4176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

This should not amaze you. The more pixels you can get under the subject (due to pixel density) the more details can be captured.

Love the details in the craters on the right side.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 14-Oct-12 08:02 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Really nice shots. Yes, the added resolution is visible, when cropping especially.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Mon 15-Oct-12 04:50 AM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots"
In response to Reply # 2

Dorval (Montreal), CA

Hi Stan,
Thank you for your feedback.
Neill

Linesider36 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2009Sun 14-Oct-12 09:38 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Westhampton Beach, US

Being a D7000 owner too I am not surprised but I am still impressed with these shots but I'm equally impressed with the 70-200VR and your tc20III. That VR really works. Nice comparison.

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Mon 15-Oct-12 04:41 AM
#7. "RE: Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots"
In response to Reply # 3

Dorval (Montreal), CA

Hi Spencer,
Yes, the lens-tc combo is really good.
Neill

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sun 14-Oct-12 11:25 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

Very impressive images. I'm somewhat confused though by what appear to be radical differences in the exif data between the two shots. If the D300 shot really was a 1.7 second exposure and the D7000 was 1/1000, I'm not sure your D300 was given a fair chance to compete for detail

I would expect to see a similar difference if they were both taken with the D7000. Even with VR a shot at 1.7 seconds should be softer and show less detail than one at 1/1000.

I'd love to see a comparison like this with identical exposure settings on both cameras.

Creator: Neill D. Graham
Camera: Nikon D300
Lens: 70-200 mm f/2.8Shot at 380 mm
Exposure: Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1.7 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400, Compensation: -10/3
Date: October 3, 2012 12:46:38AM
Software: Capture NX 2.2.6 W
Field Of View: 3.6 deg
File: NDG_6206.NEF749 × 936 JPEG, 0.19 megabytes, Image compression: 90%

Camera: Nikon D7000
Lens: AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-EDShot at 400 mm
Exposure: Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1/1,000 sec, f/8, ISO 200, Compensation: -14/3
Flash: Off, Did not fire
Date: October 3, 2012 12:00:49AM
Software: Capture NX 2.2.6 W
Field Of View: 3.4 deg (1.40 m)
File: 879 × 1,100 JPEG, 0.23 megabytes, Image compression: 92%

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 15-Oct-12 03:36 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots"
In response to Reply # 4

Kingston, CA

Neat shots!

I too was looking at the EXIF. The D300 EXIF says f5.6, 1/500s, ISO 400 and the D7000 EXIF says f8, 1/1000s, ISO 200. This doesn't make sense to me. It seems the D300 shot was made 3 stops brighter exposure than the D7000. How can that be? Adjustments in post?

I would also think that an f5.6 (fully open aperture) versus f8 is an unfair comparison. So is 1/500s versus 1/1000s (including when handheld).

I do agree that higher pixel density would bias the D7000 to a sharper image.

Peter

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Mon 15-Oct-12 04:39 AM
#6. "RE: Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots"
In response to Reply # 5

Dorval (Montreal), CA

Peter, thanks for your feedback.

As I was shooting, I had to change the exposure on each shot until I started getting viewable images.The first shots were over exposed so it meant having to play with WB until the shots were adequate. This is why the settings were different. At the time, I was not trying to compare the two cameras. That was an afterthought. If I had intended a "fair" comparison, I would have tried to use the same settings on both cameras as you suggest. This was not my intention. Try shooting moonies hand holding the gear I was and you are glad just to get bursts of shots before you have to lower the rig.
Neill

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 15-Oct-12 10:58 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots"
In response to Reply # 6

Kingston, CA

>As I was shooting, I had to change the exposure on each shot
>until I started getting viewable images.

OK, that makes sense, thanks.

I find taking a picture of the moon to be very rewarding.

Peter

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Mon 15-Oct-12 04:46 AM
#8. "RE: Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 15-Oct-12 04:46 AM by NDGraham

Dorval (Montreal), CA

Thanks for your comments, Chris.
As also noted above, it would be interesting to try using the same settings on both cameras. Next time, I'll use a tripod as well and set up both bodies so we can see what the results would be then using the same lens setup on both cameras.
I'm not sure why the exif data gave that 1.7 sec. number as that was not the case. It was actually 1/500 sec. as Peter noted.
Cheers.
Neill

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Mon 15-Oct-12 03:02 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots"
In response to Reply # 8

Newburg, US

I'm thinking I may need a different EXIF plugin on my MAC. Will check that this evening. That EXIF report really doesn't make any sense.

PennsyBill Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Dec 2008Tue 16-Oct-12 01:14 AM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots"
In response to Reply # 10

Diamond Bar, US

My first thoughts were (a) the D300 shot is over-exposed, and (b) it really looks like it was hand-held and probably shouldn't have been.

From your explanation I think the results could have gone either way irregardless of camera used.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 16-Oct-12 06:55 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: Comparing D300 with D7K Moon shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

I find my D7000 does beat my D300s in pixel peeping, but the gap is nowhere near what you've demonstrated here.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21521 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.