Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21489
View in linear mode

Subject: ""CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- ..." Previous topic | Next topic
le gamin Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2012Sat 13-Oct-12 02:42 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"

Parksville, British Columbia, CA

I was reading an article on some site in which the author was commenting on people taking a look at the image in the camera's monitor. My impression, perhaps wrongly interpreted, was that the article stated that it was unnecessary to do so.

I am a tyro, and I do think that it is necessary. Just think of the very large number of variables or settings that one can make with the D7000. So when I create new settings for my camera because I wish to discover what those settings will do, I have an expectation of what the image will look like and I will then compare my expectation with the actual outcome. I am in the process of learning how to use my instrument to the best possible advantage. I bought this camera to be more than just a "point and shoot". Hence I create settings, capture an image, forecast what I think the image will look like and what it is really like. Had I done that when I was using aperture setting immediately post sunset, I would not have had grossly underexposed pictures. The feedback would have been immediate and I would then have been able to immediately correct my mistake. "Chimping" is good.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the pictu...
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th Oct 2012
kentak Silver Member
13th Oct 2012
km6xz Moderator
13th Oct 2012
jamtins Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
mudman2 Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
MotoMannequin Moderator
16th Oct 2012
hotnikon1
02nd Jan 2013
gbowen Gold Member
19th Oct 2012
Vsteelrider
19th Oct 2012
jmiguez Silver Member
19th Oct 2012
Alexcorral
27th Dec 2012
prreid Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
four eighty sparky Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
Snapshott Silver Member
07th Jan 2013

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 13-Oct-12 03:01 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

And what was done before digital with film?

Photographers learned how to use a light meter. There is one built into your camera. And they did not have immediate feed back.

Your digital camera has a dynamic range and an EV or 2 may not cause any problem and can be corrected in post processing.

You should be able to take a number of images before rechecking the image or more importantly the histogram.

At one time cameras came with no light meters and users followed the sunny 16 rule and could guesstimate the EV and then compute the f-stop and time.

CHIMPing also consumes fair amount of battery power which can be a real concern for a long day or when you are distant from electric power.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sat 13-Oct-12 03:50 AM
895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It sounds to me like you are using image review (sounds better than chimping) in a constructive way as a learning tool. I like how you stated you're making certain settings, pre-visualizing the effect, and then evaluating the actual results. I see nothing wrong with this approach. As you gain experience and understanding of settings, you'll most likely find yourself chimping less.

I watch a lot of photography related instructional videos on the internet, much of it by recognized and accomplished pros and instructors. They each promote or utilize ways of working that get results for them. Some always use light meters, some never use them. Some look at histograms, some don't. An awful lot of them do review their images on the camera or on a tethered monitor to evaluate their results and make adjustments.

In the days of film only, what did many studio photographers do? They snapped Polaroids to evaluate their lighting setups and make adjustments before taking the critical shots. Taking those polaroids is really a form of chimping, isn't it? As for chimping consuming battery life, just carry a spare.

If chimping is helping you learn and improve your skills, have at it.

Kent

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 13-Oct-12 07:00 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

I have advocated the learning tool that the hi res rear display can be. Unfortunately few people really use it as a learning tool and just use it to see if their luck held on the last shot.
I've written a number of times about the advantage of pre-visualizing the expected results before hitting the release.That way, seeing result is very effective in determining whether your expectation was correct, if not why. After a while, when the difference between imagined results and actual results converge most of the time. the usefulness of chimping goes way down. In some situations, taking time and attention away from the task at hand works against the photographer who chimps, such as in a wedding, sports or other action activity where a level of consistency is expected before even getting the assignment.
When shooting an event I do not waste the time unless someone asks me to see their image just taken. It saves battery and saves missing actions that are not likely to recur. The battery life of two batteries in the grip and body of a D7000 is really good so that is not as much of a reason not to chimp. My D800 on the other hand is hard on batteries so 50% more shots can be taken on a battery if I do not chimp.
The learning curve for a camera and photography overall is really flattened and sped up by thinking about every shot and only pulling the trigger when there is a reason to. Spending more time thinking about shots before release, will make each session a useful learning experience. Most people, however, seem to take the shots first and then try to judge whether a shot, by luck, became a keeper. That latter method firms bad habits and slows down progress.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jamtins Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2011Mon 15-Oct-12 09:36 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 3

Meadow Heights, AU

I agree with Stan, we have some much info available to us to help get better images, and to understand why some don't work so well. Else its just building on bad habits of hoping the image will be ok, and relying on fixing it up later in the computer.

I recommend to my students to look at the image, to learn what the histogram is showing, and to cycle through the exif data.
Yep, it uses up battery power, yep, it takes a few seconds, but as practice begins to confirm what is happening, and the necessary corrections are made, the number of keepers goes up, and the picture possibility can be explored to get the best from it.

Simply taking 30 or 40 pics (I exaggerate) in the hope that one will be ok, doesn't seem all that efficient to me. And you've still got to deal with the excess number of duds at some stage.

Use the LCD and its tools wisely. Chimps are those who look at an image and for the first time they've got a good one and go through the 'oooh ooh oh' cycle.
Rule 1: Creative Photography is not button pressing and dial twirling.

David

.. I set out to discover the inventions of God. -John Muir

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Mon 15-Oct-12 11:57 AM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 4

Jamison, US

I solved that problem. Don't carry my reading glasses on a shoot so the display would have to be IMAX for me to see it properly

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 16-Oct-12 06:58 AM
8581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 4

Livermore, CA, US

>Chimps are those who look at an image and for the first time they've
>got a good one and go through the 'oooh ooh oh' cycle.

^this^

Just leave off the "ooh ooh ooh" and you'll be fine.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

hotnikon1 Registered since 30th Dec 2012Wed 02-Jan-13 02:52 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Great reply, very informative.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Fri 19-Oct-12 12:19 AM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

Chimping saved me once at a wedding. I was new to digital and flash photography. I saw that I was using the wrong flash setting and made a change and corrected the problem and went on to a successful gig. In fact it paid for my equipment.

Oooo-oooo, just call me Cheetah!

George

Vsteelrider Registered since 13th Oct 2012Fri 19-Oct-12 09:01 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

Not going to setup for preview of every shot. No real advantage to that one.
Just as easy to hit the playback button as and when you feel the need.
If your camera is set to lighting up the rear screen after every shot its going to have more negatives than positives.
Slows things down, detracts from your subject, and that right moment. And you just know that right moments going to happen whilst your chimping.
Not to mention that poor old battery taking a drain.
Only an opinion granted, but in the days of 35mm !!!

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Fri 19-Oct-12 11:25 PM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

I will look at the three histograms to make sure the exposure is correct. If that is "Chimping", so be it? I rather look foolish and get a good picture than professional and get a blown out shot, because I forgot to set something.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

Alexcorral Registered since 22nd Dec 2012Thu 27-Dec-12 12:53 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 9

PA

Histograms, composition, eyes closed or whatever does it for you. If you find benefit in previewing your shots do so. The playback screen is there for anyone to use it in the best way it works for them.

prreid Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2012Wed 02-Jan-13 10:30 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 0

Naples, US

I guess that my opinion, like several others , comes down to the simple conclusion: do whatever accomplishes your shooting goal--and that means making mistakes and evolving your shooting routine. BUT don't forget to take advantage of what you see on the view screen. This is a before-the -shot view. The view on the monitor screen is only the after-the-shot view. AND what you see on the screen is JPEG--even if you shoot raw... Another way of saying that you should take full advantage of your pre-shot view screen.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 03-Jan-13 02:57 AM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 12

Los Angeles, US

A friend of mine is one of a select group of still photographers authorized to shoot on movie and TV sets in Los Angeles. When I got my D7000, he invited me over to his own studio for some DSLR lessons.

One point he repeatedly drove home was that I was looking at menus and camera controls too much. He urged me to look long and hard at the subject and to view the scene through the viewfinder.

It is a discipline which can get sidetracked by all the bells and whistles on the camera.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Thu 03-Jan-13 01:28 PM
1390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 13

US

>A friend of mine is one of a select group of still
>photographers authorized to shoot on movie and TV sets in Los
>Angeles. When I got my D7000, he invited me over to his own
>studio for some DSLR lessons.
>
>One point he repeatedly drove home was that I was looking at
>menus and camera controls too much. He urged me to look long
>and hard at the subject and to view the scene through the
>viewfinder.
>
>It is a discipline which can get sidetracked by all the bells
>and whistles on the camera.

That's not chimping.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Snapshott Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Mon 07-Jan-13 01:03 AM
395 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

How else are we going to be able to tell if the Mode dial accidentally got knocked off our intended setting?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21489 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.