Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21474
View in linear mode

Subject: "Picked up my camera!!" Previous topic | Next topic
Ray P Registered since 07th Jul 2009Fri 12-Oct-12 01:01 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Picked up my camera!!"

US

Picked up my camera last night, and can't wait to use it. Any idea's on a good book/author to purchase, to learn all that this is capabale of?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Picked up my camera!!
J_Harris Silver Member
12th Oct 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
12th Oct 2012
km6xz Moderator
12th Oct 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
12th Oct 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
13th Oct 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
Ray P
15th Oct 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
15th Oct 2012
Rassie Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
Alexcorral
27th Dec 2012

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Fri 12-Oct-12 01:29 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Picked up my camera!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Ray,

Darrell Young's D7000 guide is very popular and highly rated. Another one is Thom Hogan's "Complete Guide To The Nikon D7000".

I have been very happy with Thom Hogan's 820 page book/guide. It is very detailed in all aspects of using the D7000. Everything is discussed such as its history, myths, features, settings, usage, recommendations for all settings, many features are compared to other Nikon cameras, etc. Even the SB400 through SB900 Speedlights and their usage are discussed in detail.

It's a little expensive if you order his complete package (includes printed, PDF, and ebook versions and a smaller "To Go" condensed “field guide”). I highly recommend at least buying the book/guide in printed form. You will be surprised how many times you grab it off the book shelf for quick reference.

It is sold only through his website, the link is below.

http://bythom.com/nikond7000guide.htm

Jerry

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Fri 12-Oct-12 01:50 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Picked up my camera!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Burke, US

Ray, I would agree totally with Jerry. The Hogan book/set is excellent especially if you have an interest in the technology and how to take advantage of that technology. I like the discussion of the evolution of this model with respect to previous camera models.

The sections on the speedlights are very helpful.

I also have the Young book and it is OK. It has a couple spots where Darrell didn't update the last camera controls to the D7000 (copied text from a previous guide and didn't update it for the D7000). Aside from that, it is OK for a beginner and is a bit easier to use than the Nikon User manual.

Enjoy your excellent D7000.

Charles

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 12-Oct-12 08:26 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Picked up my camera!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 13-Oct-12 07:43 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

My I ask your background in the fundamentals? Even before equipment specific books, I recommend one or two on the fundamental elements of photography and human visual perception because that seems to be the most important topics and the last ones to be read. If this is your first DSRL, or even film slr, an easy to read book that covers light, exposure that will make all else that comes after, make more sense, is Bryan Peterson's "Understsanding Exposure"
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Edit: Thanks Jerry, I changed the link to your good one. Bryan also has a series of videos on related topics.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Fri 12-Oct-12 10:33 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Picked up my camera!!"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 12-Oct-12 10:36 PM by J_Harris

US

Hi Stan,

The link you provided goes to an "Out of Print" version that is only sold by third party sellers. Most are used copies, and the few that are new cost twice the price of the current 3rd edition.

A link to the current "updated" 3rd edition that is available directly from Amazon is below.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm ordering a copy for myself today.

Jerry

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sat 13-Oct-12 08:21 PM
1770 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Picked up my camera!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Darrel Young's "Mastering the Nikon D7000" is outstanding.

Tom

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Mon 15-Oct-12 04:08 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Picked up my camera!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 15-Oct-12 04:10 AM by ShrimpBoy

Brighton and Hove, GB

Ray,

The books are an okay bed-time read but if you've been using a DSLR already then my opinion is you don't really need them. Just shoot with the camera and use Nikonians when things don't quite turn out or you need a tip or trick for a particular situation.

Editing to say: I bought the Hogan book. A good reference, but there's a lot of filler that I consider of little value and I'm not even an expert photog. I rarely read it.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

Ray P Registered since 07th Jul 2009Mon 15-Oct-12 02:14 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Picked up my camera!!"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thanks for all the advice, I agree, I do have a fairly good foundation, so alot I have already, But I do enjoy reading, and picking up on the little things that might go un-noticed.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Mon 15-Oct-12 05:05 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Picked up my camera!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 15-Oct-12 05:05 PM by cwils02

HIXSON, US

I've been around DSLR even before the D80 came out. When I first tried digital, I had a Minolta Dimage 7 and then a Konica-Minolta A2. Still impressed with some of those low pixel count photos.

Then after using Canon film cameras, I was only thinking about Canon until a fellow employee task with being the company's photographer had the company's latest greatest Canon to shoot with, and still used her Nikon exclusively.

When I had to shoot a wedding, I purchased a D7000. I had only a couple of weeks to get used to the camera, and make sure I had it setup right. I bought both David Busch's "Nikon D7000" and Darrell Young's "Mastering the Nikon D7000". After the wedding, I used Darrell's book to get a discounted Nikonian Gold Memebership. After that I also got Hogan's digital copy of his D7000 "book".

The Busch book was the easiest for me to use & setup the D7000 according to the type of photography I was going to shoot. I'm not saying that the Young book isn't very good, but I found the Busch book to be faster to get up and shooting the things I wanted to shoot.

To be fair to Hogan, I haven't actually read his "book". Perhaps I already knew most of what I needed to know, or maybe I am not a good candidate for an instructional book on the PC.

Charlie

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Mon 15-Oct-12 10:57 PM
2838 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Picked up my camera!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Milton, CA

I don't know about the other books, but I picked up David Busch's "Nikon D7000" this last weekend at a photographic show, and by now I'm about halfway through it. It's a good, logical book that taught me many things I didn't know about Nikon cameras, the D7000 specifically, and about photography in general.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

Alexcorral Registered since 22nd Dec 2012Thu 27-Dec-12 01:05 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Picked up my camera!!"
In response to Reply # 0

PA

I've had my D7000 for two weeks now and shot about 800 pictures. With the manual and this site I have knowledge and use 90% of the camera's settings and controls. There is more knowledge on Nikonians than on any book out there.

Now I only have to learn to use them to get the shot I want

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21474 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.