Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21466
View in linear mode

Subject: "Missing Pixels" Previous topic | Next topic
lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Thu 11-Oct-12 09:57 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Missing Pixels"

Panama City Beach, US

I have attached a photo with missing pixels. They can be seem on zoom and appear as a series of white dots slightly below and to the left of the yellow buoy below the most significant rainbow. I have taken quite a few photos with this camera and never noticed missing pixels before. When I looked at the printed 8x10 I though there were white dust specks on the photo. They were easy enough to correct in PP, but what causes this phenomena?
Thanks
Larry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Missing Pixels
dm1dave Administrator
11th Oct 2012
lautry Silver Member
11th Oct 2012
lautry Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
kentak Silver Member
13th Oct 2012
PAStime Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
lautry Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
lautry Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
km6xz Moderator
15th Oct 2012
RLDubbya
15th Oct 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
lautry Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
kentak Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
lautry Silver Member
15th Oct 2012

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 11-Oct-12 10:26 PM
11058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Missing Pixels"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Can you make a 100% crop of the area and post that so we can get a closer look at the spots?

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Thu 11-Oct-12 11:15 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Missing Pixels"
In response to Reply # 1

Panama City Beach, US

Will do tomorrow pm.
Thanks

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Mon 15-Oct-12 02:36 PM
#5. "RE: Missing Pixels"
In response to Reply # 1

Panama City Beach, US

Here is a crop of the missing pixels. Sorry it took so long.
Larry

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 15-Oct-12 05:03 PM
1393 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Missing Pixels"
In response to Reply # 5

US

If you truly had missing pixels, they would show up and individual pixels, not an entire group of pixels. And multiple groups of pixels at that.

There's just something floating in the water. Easy to clone out.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sat 13-Oct-12 02:02 AM
897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Missing Pixels"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Seagulls.

Kent

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 15-Oct-12 03:39 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Missing Pixels"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

Hi Larry. At a glance these appear too irregularly shaped to be "missing pixels". Need a 100% crop to tell. I am thinking seagulls too. Peter

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Mon 15-Oct-12 02:39 PM
#6. "RE: Missing Pixels"
In response to Reply # 4

Panama City Beach, US

I really don't think they are seagulls, as the spots are square or rectangular when viewed under magnification.
Larry

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Mon 15-Oct-12 03:31 PM
#7. "RE: Missing Pixels"
In response to Reply # 4

Panama City Beach, US

You know, on second and third thought you guys may be right about the seagull theory. At that distance, there may not have been enough pixel density in the camera sensor to define something as small as a seagull. The yellow buoy above the spots doesn't look that well defined under magnification either.
Larry

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 15-Oct-12 04:33 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Missing Pixels"
In response to Reply # 7

St Petersburg, RU

Seeing the crop my first impression was vertical axis motion blur of something on the water. Missing pixels are a lot smaller than these which are larger than features seen in the image. Could be seagulls or ??
If they were pixels, not only would they be tiny but they can be mapped out. You camera probably already has some dead pixels, just as your memory chips have dead cells which are mapped out in final testing.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

RLDubbya Registered since 24th Dec 2011Mon 15-Oct-12 04:49 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Missing Pixels"
In response to Reply # 8

US

What does the yellow buoy mark? The white shapes look to me like foam floaters for a net.

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Mon 15-Oct-12 05:28 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Missing Pixels"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>What does the yellow buoy mark? The white shapes look to me
>like foam floaters for a net.

Good call. The more I look at it the more your theory seems likely.

Jerry

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Mon 15-Oct-12 07:31 PM
#12. "RE: Missing Pixels"
In response to Reply # 9

Panama City Beach, US

The yellow buoy, along with smaller white buoys are placed by beach vendors who rent jet skis. The jet skis have to stay beyond the buoys and away from people. Different vendors may have different colored buoys. Most buoys are white, but the specks in the pic are not buoys and not net floats, as this beach attracts many swimmers, nets and fishing attracts sharks and the two don't mix.
Larry

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Mon 15-Oct-12 07:46 PM
897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Missing Pixels"
In response to Reply # 12
Mon 15-Oct-12 10:26 PM by kentak

US

Plus, if that's near a swimming area, what fisherman wants the liability of having a swimmer tangled in his nets?

The important thing is, unless you're seeing these kinds of "spots" on other images, it's likely not camera/sensor related. When I originally posted "seagulls," a magnification of your first image seemed to show irregular white and gray pixels. Made me think of seagulls. The second crop you posted makes the spots look more uniform and regular, more like floats than birds. So, frankly, I'm at a loss to say with any certainty what they might be.

I would just fix the image if the spots are distracting and forget about it.

Kent

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Mon 15-Oct-12 08:17 PM
#14. "RE: Missing Pixels"
In response to Reply # 13

Panama City Beach, US

That's exactly what I have done. I PP'd the spots and I'm over it.
Thanks
Larry

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21466 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.