Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21418
View in linear mode

Subject: "White balance" Previous topic | Next topic
Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Tue 09-Oct-12 02:20 AM
185 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"White balance"

Redmond, US

Is there any change in the data captured when shooting RAW by changing the White Balance.?
I understood it was of no consequence what the WB setting was in RAW because you can change it in PP. Now I read that the EXIF metadata tag may alter with different WB settings. Does it matter?
Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: White balance
dm1dave Administrator
09th Oct 2012
Howker Silver Member
11th Oct 2012
JosephK Silver Member
11th Oct 2012
dm1dave Administrator
12th Oct 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
09th Oct 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
12th Oct 2012

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 09-Oct-12 02:38 AM
11303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: White balance"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

>>"Does it matter?"

No, the tags in the EXIF are separate from the RAW image data.

The software that you use to convert the RAW data will use this tag when it renders the image. You can then adjust the WB to any value that you choose.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Thu 11-Oct-12 02:18 AM
185 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: White balance"
In response to Reply # 1

Redmond, US

I ask because I shoot NEF & on D7000/P7100 I only change from Auto WB for flash. I use CNX2 & mainly Aperture so I noticed that the photo I am looking at in the software differs dependent on the WB setting.
I can change the WB setting in Aperture etc but if the NEF file has no WB other than a tag is the software changing it for display?
If RAW has no effect why is it visibly different in software? Is it being changed to jpeg
Tom

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 11-Oct-12 07:23 AM
4188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: White balance"
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, WA, US

You are confusing the data in the file with what you see on the screen. The NEF data in the file needs to be interpreted by a viewer/editor then painted on the screen. When you change the settings in the editor, you are just changing the interpretation of the raw data.

JPG images, on the other hand, have all the image settings baked into the picture so that there is no interpreting done. What you see is what there is.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 12-Oct-12 02:06 AM
11303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: White balance"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 12-Oct-12 02:09 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

“...is the software changing it for display?”
“If RAW has no effect why is it visibly different in software? Is it being changed to jpeg”

Yes, the software (the RAW converter) takes the sensor data and compiles it to render the image you see on screen. The software uses the tags (Nikon software reads all of the tags including all picture control settings, 3rd party software can only read WB) and any presets that you have set up in the software to render the image.

The rendered image that you are working with is more like a TIFF file than a JEPG. The difference though between working a NEF and a TIFF is that each time you make a change the software re-renders the file from the RAW data while applying your changes.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Tue 09-Oct-12 03:33 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: White balance"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Not only does it not change the RAW data by changing the WB, it also does not change the exposure settings when the picture is actually captured.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Fri 12-Oct-12 12:04 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: White balance"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Not only does it not change the RAW data by changing the WB,
>it also does not change the exposure settings when the picture
>is actually captured.

Huh?

By 'exposure settings', do you mean ISO, shutter speed and aperture?

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21418 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.