Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21385
View in linear mode

Subject: "AE lock is on when depth of field button is pushed" Previous topic | Next topic
mickeyb48 Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2012Mon 08-Oct-12 02:48 AM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"AE lock is on when depth of field button is pushed"

Dacula, US

Is this normal. When I push the Depth of field preview button I notice that the AE Lock comes on in view finder. If not how to configure so it doesnt.

Thanks

Mike

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 08-Oct-12 03:42 AM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: AE lock is on when depth of field button is pushed"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Welcome to Nikonians Mike!

First are you sure that you are pressing the DoF Preview button and not the FN button?

The DoF preview is the bottom button on the front of the camera.

Both of these buttons are programmable.

Check custom setting f4 to ensure that the button is set for Preview.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

mickeyb48 Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2012Mon 08-Oct-12 03:57 AM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: AE lock is on when depth of field button is pushed"
In response to Reply # 1

Dacula, US

Thanks for Responding Dave,

I checked and the f4 is set to preview. I'm using the FN button for metering.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 08-Oct-12 07:08 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: AE lock is on when depth of field button is pushed"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The AE L appears normally as you would want it. Whatever the metering is at the time of pressing Preview, locks, so when you release it, it goes back to how you had metered before pressing the button. Preview works by allowing you to see what the scene would look like if the aperture was stopped down for taking the shot, the only time the VF gets the stopped down view, so DOF can be seen. For all other functions, prior to the shutter being triggered, the metering, VF and Focus sensors only see the wide open aperture. That is why "fast" 1.4 lenses, even when stopped down, usually focus faster and give brighter VF images. If metering followed the aperture setting, the light level reaching the metering Sensor, and the Focus sensor would be lower so neither would work as well.
The AE-L indicator should appear only when you have the preview button pressed.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21385 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.