Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21378
View in linear mode

Subject: "Raw + Jpeg Fine" Previous topic | Next topic
hankwt Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2012Mon 08-Oct-12 12:42 AM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Raw + Jpeg Fine"

kingsville, CA

In the shooting menu In Image Quality can you please explain what effect Raw + JPEG fine has ?? am i recording both a raw and jpeg file combined. When i import into lightroom it shows im bringing in raw and jpg if i use explorer to look into the folder i see both a raw and jpg file If i delete a raw file in lightroom the jpg goes too are these files some how linked ??/ this has me somewhat stumped !!! hopefully someone can clarify this

BW- Big Wayner My motocross kid is faster than your A student !!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 08-Oct-12 06:06 AM
25591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Raw + Jpeg Fine"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Wayne,

>In the shooting menu In Image Quality can you please
>explain what effect Raw + JPEG fine has ?? am i recording
>both a raw and jpeg file combined.

Yes! When set to Raw + JPEG the camera will create a Raw (NEF) file and a JPEG file.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

hankwt Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2012Mon 08-Oct-12 02:13 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Raw + Jpeg Fine"
In response to Reply # 1

kingsville, CA

Thanks marty any iea how lightroom handles this ?? all i see is the NEF file

BW- Big Wayner My motocross kid is faster than your A student !!

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Mon 08-Oct-12 02:22 PM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Raw + Jpeg Fine"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

You might want to post the Lightroom question in the Adobe Post-processing software forum for the best answer.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Mon 08-Oct-12 09:30 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Raw + Jpeg Fine"
In response to Reply # 0

HIXSON, US

Hank,

I have a D7000 & use Lightroom 4.2. I set the camera to put Raw on Card-1 & JPGs on Card-2. I save both to two different directories. I only import the Raw (NEF) image into Lightroom.

I then export my processed images to a separate "Photo Organizer" folder/s.

I keep the JPEGs for backup, unless they are needed for some other reason.

Using this method will reduce the confusion of importing both types of the same image at once.

Charlie

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21378 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.