Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21374
View in linear mode

Subject: "Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 07-Oct-12 11:39 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display"

Los Angeles, US

I use this frequently to get a better look into my settings. The Viewfinder is my followup source. Just today, though, 2 indications on the LCD baffled me. Never saw them before.

In the middle of the screen (slightly to the left) just above the focus point diagram it reads "COMMENT". And Just above that is the single letter S.

Am I missing something? What do these symbols mean.

No mention is made in the three books I have on the D7000.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display
RLDubbya Silver Member
07th Oct 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
km6xz Moderator
08th Oct 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
08th Oct 2012

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sun 07-Oct-12 11:54 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 07-Oct-12 11:55 PM by RLDubbya

US

Comment = Image Comment On

Assuming the S is enclosed in a box (the only time I've seen what you're describing), the mode dial is set to S.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 08-Oct-12 12:12 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Page 10 of the manual.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 08-Oct-12 12:45 AM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display"
In response to Reply # 2

Los Angeles, US

Got it on the Comment. I played with the controls and S stands for Single Frame, and changes when Shutter Release Mode knob is rotated. It shows, Single, Cl, C,Q,TImer,Mup,

Page 10 of the manual doesn't comment on either of these two indicators at all. I guess that there are too many controls, and not enough real estate to display them all.

Thanks,

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Mon 08-Oct-12 01:01 AM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Agreed. My description of the "S" sucks.

>Got it on the Comment. I played with the controls and S
>stands for Single Frame, and changes when Shutter Release Mode
>knob is rotated. It shows, Single, Cl, C,Q,TImer,Mup,
>
>Page 10 of the manual doesn't comment on either of these two
>indicators at all. I guess that there are too many controls,
>and not enough real estate to display them all.
>
>Thanks,
>
>

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 08-Oct-12 01:34 AM
#5. "RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display"
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

Ah, there were many moments when I would don the robe of D7000 High Priest and then answer a question on this forum. And usually would shoot myself in the foot.

Many of the odd, dark corners of this camera mechanism and the programming done by Nikon make understanding a treasure hunt. And more likely, a Snipe Hunt. It can seem futile at times.

Having been trained on commercial jets, especially the 747, I feel that much of the complexity is not needed. And I lay that on squarely on the shoulders of the Nikon engineers. Things aren't broken down into logical categories.

In my view, only the naming of these menus make sense:

Playback
Custom
My Menu

But the other menus don't honestly convey the contents:

Shooting
Setup

What qualifies settings for being in one rather than the other?

My original question stems from a boogeyman that haunts all complicated devices — how to present a mountain of information in a small, coherent dial or screen.

I get the impression that in some of the pro Nikon cameras, many functions are assigned to a button. Given that we own the D7000, a big improvement would have been if controls and menus were tied to workflow. As it is, I can't comprehend the logic of much of the menu structure.

The User's Manual has my respect in that, by page 18, it has you 'in the saddle and ready to ride'. You are shooting soon after. And that is the best way to master the controls.

As for the Menus? Go to the nearest church and pray.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Mon 08-Oct-12 10:25 AM
#9. "RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Wow. I don't think the 7000 is nearly that bad. I'll fess up: I've not read the manual. I've referred to it a couple times, but, for the most part I've managed to piece things together just using the camera.

I did get a copy of Thom's book a couple weeks ago, but that's 9 months into using the camera. I've read bits and pieces of it, but haven't read that cover-to-cover.

One thing I've noticed: I went from using the camera on daily basis for quite some time, call it 6 months, to sporadic use, then to a period when I didn't look at the camera for close to 1 month.

After that 1 month "layoff", I felt like I had to start all over again, in some respect. Familiarity was gone.

However, as I started using the camera again, I'm starting to appreciate how to better control the camera, and I'm rethinking a lot of my approach. I've cleared out all custom control assignments, and am starting "out of the box", so to speak. This re-thinking process has been good for me.

I've started to appreciate, I think, that there is an intuitive layout, an intuitive presentation. More and more, the camera just makes sense to me.

In my opinion, that's good technology: it just gets out of the way, enables me to better do the task at hand, and I don't have to focus on it.

But then again, I'm not a robe-donning priest. I'm just an another idiot on the internet, spewing my opinion for Google to index as it sees fit.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 08-Oct-12 04:10 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 08-Oct-12 04:11 AM by four eighty sparky

US

>Got it on the Comment. I played with the controls and S
>stands for Single Frame, and changes when Shutter Release Mode
>knob is rotated. It shows, Single, Cl, C,Q,TImer,Mup,
>
>Page 10 of the manual doesn't comment on either of these two
>indicators at all. I guess that there are too many controls,
>and not enough real estate to display them all.
>
>Thanks,
>
>

Page 11 then... it finishes what page 10 started.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 08-Oct-12 04:23 AM
#7. "RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display"
In response to Reply # 6

Los Angeles, US

Thanks, Sparky. Now where did i put my electron microscope? Just when I need it.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 08-Oct-12 07:33 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display"
In response to Reply # 7

St Petersburg, RU

The Menu structure follows a Nikon standard so picking up various models, the same terms and locations are used. Shooting is really pretty logical, setting parameters that impact recording of the coming shots, the setting that impact the next shots WB, PC, Color Space, Multiple Exposure mode etc, which are embedded in the resulting image file.
Setup is for functions that set up the camera generally such as Time and Date, LCD brightness, Cleaning lockup, functions that do not impact recording if images as much as effect the camera in general regardless of playback or recording. These are used less often and could have been called "Configuration" to related more to peoples computer experience.

I read the manual cover to cover in the parking lot of the camera store where I bought my D90, my first Nikon and first DSLR 4 years ago. My camera experience was film. I learned the terms and started shooting before I got home. A few years later I added the D7000 and found that the manual was opened only a few time because the menu system was so consistent with the D90's menu. Later, last May, I added the D800 to the collection and went two days later to Scotland for a photo-holiday and the manual is still wrapped in plastic, never opened, since it so logically follows the Nikon standard. Personally, I think the menu system Nikon standardized on is good and one of the features that generates positive comments about ergonomics that Nikon receives from reviewers and users alike.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 08-Oct-12 01:30 PM
#10. "RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display"
In response to Reply # 8

Los Angeles, US

Understood, Stan. Nikon certainly does get high marks for maintaining standards and practices across newly introduced products. Even across many decades.

My six film lenses dated from the late '60s to about 1972. All of them would mount on the D7000. Unfortunately, none would engage the Aperture Metering coupling, so I had to sell them all.

People on this forum advised me that my 105mm f2.5 and 300mm ED lenses were unequalled for IQ.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21374 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.