Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21369
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??" Previous topic | Next topic
dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004Sun 07-Oct-12 05:30 PM
701 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"

San Francisco, US

I'm aware Nikon makes one, but that there are also a number of other options. I'd appreciate feedback on the best one for D7000 and D 800. Not sure where to post this, so I'm posting in D 7000 and D 800 forums.

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??
four eighty sparky Silver Member
07th Oct 2012
jrp Administrator
08th Oct 2012
dgs2 Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
natashadak Silver Member
09th Oct 2012
jrp Administrator
09th Oct 2012
dgs2 Silver Member
10th Oct 2012
jrp Administrator
11th Oct 2012
jbarden Gold Member
10th Nov 2012
nihonbashi Silver Member
05th Aug 2013
jbarden Gold Member
05th Aug 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
07th Aug 2013
rdudley Silver Member
09th Oct 2012
cosmicfires Silver Member
09th Oct 2012
michalaase Gold Member
10th Oct 2012
dgs2 Silver Member
10th Oct 2012
jrp Administrator
11th Oct 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
12th Oct 2012
jamtins Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
sfbillm Silver Member
16th Oct 2012
Crisol
06th Aug 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
07th Aug 2013
mad_benny Silver Member
08th Aug 2013

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 07-Oct-12 09:09 PM
1397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I'm aware Nikon makes one, but that there are also a number
>of other options. I'd appreciate feedback on the best one for
>D7000 and D 800. Not sure where to post this, so I'm posting
>in D 7000 and D 800 forums.

I have a Gisteq PhotoTrackr Lite for sale if you're interested.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 08-Oct-12 08:01 AM
33939 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Before choosing products for the Photo Pro Shop we test extensively and most offerings in the market, check feedback from customers and non-paid reviews.
In the case of GPS receivers, Solmeta and Foolography are at the top, considering features, ease of use, precision, reliability and value.
Although we always continue to evaluate new products in the market after our selection, so far no new products match the characteristics set of those two brands.
Furthermore, they listen to our suggestions for further improvement and more frequently than not they implement them. The Solmeta N3 and Pro 2 are good examples of that.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004Mon 08-Oct-12 11:23 PM
701 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 2

San Francisco, US

Thanks JRP. Very useful information.

dgs

natashadak Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2004Tue 09-Oct-12 02:51 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 2

San Francisco, US

>Before choosing products for the Photo Pro Shop we test
>extensively and most offerings in the market, check feedback
>from customers and non-paid reviews.
>In the case of GPS receivers, Solmeta and Foolography are at
>the top, considering features, ease of use, precision,
>reliability and value.

I purchasred a Solmeta N1 Geotagger from the Pro Shop and it
worked flawlessly for about six months, then died. After several
attempts to contact Solmeta via emial, I contacted the Pro Shop
to see if they could help expedite matters. A week later I received
a polite email from Solmeta in China informing me I would need
to send the unit to them in China for repair. At that point I could
not shake the feeling I'd be sending good money after bad;
bottom line for me in this case - I'm not willing to deal with a
company that has no "local" presence.

John Kirkpatrick

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 09-Oct-12 07:28 PM
33939 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 4

John, sorry for your loss.
Since then we now have from SOLMETA a two years warranty against materials or manufacturing defects and are allowed to simply exchange a defective unit for a new one at no charge.
We likely used your case as one of the very few we had to present the need for the warranty to be exercised at the shop level.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004Wed 10-Oct-12 12:35 AM
#8. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 7

San Francisco, US

Dear JRP,

I've been investigating the N3 for my D7000. I'm using a RRS L Plate on the D7000. Since the unit plugs in on the side of the D7000, I'm wondering if this would require disconnecting the plug if I wanted to place the camera on a tripod in portrait view? I'm hopeful the cord may fit around the L plate, but I hope someone has actual hands-on experience.

dgs

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 11-Oct-12 02:52 AM
#11. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 8

I don't have a D7000 at hand to try it.
The L-Bracket should have a little room to move it, allowing for the cable to fit from a side.
But I can't tell you for sure if that's possible.
Worst comes to worst you disconnect it and leave the GPS in sleep move.
So it will "remember" where were you as you soon as it replugs.

Have a great time

jbarden Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2009Sat 10-Nov-12 10:09 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 11

Ithaca, US

>I don't have a D7000 at hand to try it.
>The L-Bracket should have a little room to move it, allowing
>for the cable to fit from a side.
>But I can't tell you for sure if that's possible.
>Worst comes to worst you disconnect it and leave the GPS in
>sleep move.
>So it will "remember" where were you as you soon as
>it replugs.

I have the Solmeta and use a RRS L-Bracket and that's exactly what I do. The plate allows the bolt to slide a bit and there's enough room between the plate and the camera body when slid over for the cord to fit and stay plugged in. Leaves a little gap - but it's still rock solid.

nihonbashi Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2002Mon 05-Aug-13 02:38 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

A quick question. Is the Solmeta Pro 2, and cable F for the D7000, also compatible with the D7100?

jbarden Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2009Mon 05-Aug-13 10:37 AM
#18. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 17
Mon 05-Aug-13 10:38 AM by jbarden

Ithaca, US

>A quick question. Is the Solmeta Pro 2, and cable F for the
>D7000, also compatible with the D7100?
>

According to the Solmeta website, it is compatible with the D7100.

http://www.solmeta.com/Product/show/id/14

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Wed 07-Aug-13 04:22 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 17

Jamison, US

>A quick question. Is the Solmeta Pro 2, and cable F for the
>D7000, also compatible with the D7100?
>
It is

rdudley Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Tue 09-Oct-12 04:29 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 0

Etna, US

Perhaps not relevant here, but there is also a "free" software solution if you already have a hand held GPS device. That is robogeo which, if the clock on your camera and GPS device are synced, then the software will geocode the pictures by the time stamp.

Maybe useful for those who only need this option occasionally.

Richard
Etna, New York, USA

http://earth01.net/RGDudley/
http://rdudley.smugmug.com/
My Nikonians Gallery

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Tue 09-Oct-12 06:19 PM
303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Apple Aperature has a feature to geotag photos from a gps track, I've used it with my Garmin GPS.

my website

michalaase Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Wed 10-Oct-12 06:38 AM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 10-Oct-12 06:43 AM by michalaase

Karasjok, NO

I'm not that experienced with geotaggers (I currently own the Nikon GP-1 and the Solmeta Pro 2), but for me the Solmeta Pro 2 is the unit of choise.
It locks much faster than the GP-1, it has it's own battery, it also records direction, and has a lot of other nice features as well.

I must say I'm very pleased with Solmeta ! - both with the unit and also with their excellent service.
A week ago I received an personal email from them (Solmeta) offering HARDWARE upgrade of my Pro 2, free of charge, to firmware version 2.
I love this! … they actually has recorded which unit I own and which firmware it contains, and are now offering upgrades to my unit according to its current "status". NICE !!

dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004Wed 10-Oct-12 07:02 PM
#10. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 9

San Francisco, US

Thanks for the mini review. It seems like the one to get, if for no other reason than the cord is not hard wired. A cord costs $12, so if you change from, say, a D7000 to a D800, you just buy a $12 cord instead of a new unit.

dgs

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 11-Oct-12 02:54 AM
#12. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 10

That is correct. And the reason why we suggested that.

Have a great time

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Fri 12-Oct-12 02:24 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 0

Burke, US

dgs, I've used a Solmeta GeoTagger Pro for about 18 months. It is a very nice GPS accessory. It syncs up so quickly that it makes me think why can't other GPS units work this well. I leave it and the camera on all day and it is always ready and accurate. From a "cold" start, it is always sync'd up in 30 seconds.

Another advantage with this unit is the bearing data which shows which direction you are facing when the photo was taken. Very useful for identifying distant mountains in some of my Shenandoah and Great Smokey Mountain National Parks shots. Combined with focal length in View NX2, the indicator shows not only the direction, but the angle of view, also. Quite handy.

Charles

jamtins Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2011Mon 15-Oct-12 09:44 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 0

Meadow Heights, AU

The amount of money I've spent on 'cheap' units and loggers, could well have been used to get me a real unit and the Solmeta seems to meet my needs. I am holding off so I can buy the one with the digital readout. Do I need it probably not.

But hey half of the fun of this is being able to work with the data.

Cheap ones work, better ones are going to be used. Avoid the ones that draw the power from the camera battery, unless you've a good supply of batteries on hand.

David

.. I set out to discover the inventions of God. -John Muir

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Tue 16-Oct-12 10:51 PM
841 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

I have a Solmeta N2 which I use on my D7000. I ordered it directly from China since the Pro Shop here was out, and I needed the unit for an upcoming trip. It arrived quickly and in fine shape.
Works great - really nothing more to say.

SantaFeBill

"My photos were more interesting before I learned the rules."

Crisol Registered since 15th Apr 2013Tue 06-Aug-13 11:51 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 15

Barcelona, ES

I think that best GPS you can get is your phone with an adapter.

There is an infrared adapter and the video says that it can also get GPS data on the camera but had not tested it by myself:

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111122612032

This is the programa for IOS

http://www.dslrbot.com/

This one works very nicelly:

Zesty ZGR-2b, you can get it at http://zesty.co.jp

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Wed 07-Aug-13 04:20 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 19

Jamison, US

Those don't work well at all, toooooo many moving parts

mad_benny Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Apr 2011Thu 08-Aug-13 08:31 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Best GPS Geotagging Accessory??"
In response to Reply # 0

Ringwood, AU

I bought a Micronova DSLR Camera GPS from Adorama a few years back. It has cables that suit both my Nikon D700 and D7000. It sits on the hot shoe and is quite easy to use. From memory is was quite cheap as well.

Cheers
John Wayman

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21369 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.