Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21344
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is this a deal or wait it out?" Previous topic | Next topic
MarK5692 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2010Sat 06-Oct-12 10:31 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is this a deal or wait it out?"

Clyde, US

I’m undecided about this deal at Adorama. SKU: INKD7000L8 MFR: INKD7000L8.
Nikon D7000 Digital SLR Camera Body, with Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S Lens
for $2,686.95. Seems like a good price for the pair.

I’ve got a D90 with a couple DX and a couple FX lenses.
Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX
Nikkor 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D AF Zoom
Nikkor 18-105mm f-3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR
Nikkor 70-300mm f-4.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR II
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED AF-S VR II
Teleconverter AF-S TC-20E III

I don’t know if I will ever go to FX, although with the D800 etc. cameras,
things are getting very interesting. I like the 1.5x factor and fast fstop
of FX lenses. One of the reasons I’m considering getting this bundle is
it seems my wife has taken over the P7100. I bought that as a backup
for a boat trip to Southeast Alaska.

Now we’ve booked a trip to the Galapagos next spring, it’s where she
wanted to go, I wanted Alaska. Every once in a while I win one.
I’d hate to be without some kind of backup on a trip like this.
We don’t do these kind of trips normally.
But we figured that we should take these trips before we got too old
to make the most of them.

Maybe I should just wait a couple of years instead to see what new
cameras come out. OR think maybe it’s just a SEVERE CASE of NAS.

Mark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

LeeSyl Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2011Sat 06-Oct-12 12:04 PM
129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is this a deal or wait it out?"
In response to Reply # 0

Belleville, US

For that price it's a relatively good deal, but you might be better served by waiting it out. Rumors are that there may be some upgraded DX model(s) out within the next six months or so. There's always the option to rent a D7000 body for your cruise - but that will do absolutely nothing for the NAS.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 07-Oct-12 07:10 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is this a deal or wait it out?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The D7000 is likely to be replaced or added to by a 24mpx version in the winter so you do not need to commit to anything right now. Yes, the 24-70 is a great addition to your already good collection of lenses. I wanted a higher quality mid zoom for the D7000 and got the 17-55 2.8 but never really warmed up to it and it sat in the bag. I kept thinking my real goal was the 24-70 even though it was more expensive and a little long on its widest. Finally I did get one last May and I have been more than pleased with it. The 24-70 and 70-200 make a wonderful, do everything except very wide combination. You will love it.
Price? Well, I paid $1960 for the 24-70 plus tax so your D7000 cost in this package is less than $680, almost 1/2 the price I paid for my D7000. The lenses you will use most will be the 10-24 and 70-200 plus or minus the TC on the Galapagos trip. She is probably right, (aren't they always?), this trip is going to be exciting and different than you expect. Besides, since she got her way, you can plan a longer more intense trip to Alaska without hearing much argument from her so you win in both cases. Before you visit, you should read the Voyages of the Beagle, it will make it all more interesting. Also read Origins of Species by Darwin, his writing is really good literature and reads well today. There are more recent books that bring the newest discoveries learned in Galapagos bring his writing into better perspective and suggests just how important and insightful his work was and why it shook the world as one of the most important discoveries in history. Any of Richard Dawkins' books tie it all together elegantly in layman accessible language. For videos, find the 3 part 2008 BBC series "The Genius of Charles Darwin" which won most possible awards for best documentary, written and presented by Dawkins. It will bring the whole trip into focus for you. Maybe your wife already say it and is why she wanted to go.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

MarK5692 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2010Sun 07-Oct-12 09:49 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Is this a deal or wait it out?"
In response to Reply # 2

Clyde, US

LeeSyl and Stan

Thanks for your input guys. I think you're both right about the wait and see approach.
I think most of it was just the NAS monkey on my back! Vicious creature that it is.

I usually end up buying things just before a big price drop or the next best thing gets announced. Oh well such is life.

Stan I always like reading your replies. They are well thought out and to the point. I'll
have to get those books you suggested. Might even keep my mind off the NAS.

Thanks again to both of you!

Mark

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008Mon 08-Oct-12 05:31 PM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Is this a deal or wait it out?"
In response to Reply # 2

Vallejo, US

You can get a 24-70mm F2.8 from a reputable dealer like Adaroma for a little under $1,900.D7000 bodies can be had for about $$1,000.

As to waiting for a better body I dont think anyone really knows what is coming or when.Like most electronic,s camera bodies become out moded every several years. Remember the D7000 currently has the best APS sensor available.

I would also like to point out the pixel density on a D7000 is almost identical to a D800.Going to a greater density (24M) means that compromises in sensitivity etc will be made.Thats why there is a D3x and reqular D3.

As someone pointed out you can always rent if its just for a cruise.

I upgaded from a D90 to the D7000 after trying it.For me there was a signifant improvement in color rendetion and lo light performance.
But if you are using prints of 8X10 the difference may not be worth it to you.

Bob

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21344 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.