Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21259
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aperture control" Previous topic | Next topic
FrozenViking Registered since 21st Sep 2012Sat 29-Sep-12 02:35 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aperture control"

NO

I read that there is a workaround on the D7000 for being able to change the aperture while in LiveView when shooting video, but I don't know if it's true.

The technique which I read about in this thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=42530194

Summarized: On the D7000 you can change aperture and shutter in LV and moviemode, and have it reflected in the preview, you just have to press (and hold down) the +- button and then turn the front or rear wheel.

I don't have a D7000, so I'm wondering if anyone here can affirm that this works.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sat 29-Sep-12 05:11 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aperture control"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 30-Sep-12 12:15 PM by RLDubbya

US

Well, that changes EV value, which is reflected in the LV display. But it does not change aperture nor shutter speed.

EDIT: I'm saying this based on picking up my D7000, placing it into Live View, starting to record a movie, and then changing the controls as you suggested, and observing that aperture and shutter speed don't change, but EV does, and is reflected in the display.

I then changed the mode dial, cycling through "A", "P", "S", and "M" and got the same results with each setting.

As far as lending some appeal to authority to my observations: Thom Hogan's book clearly states, in the video section, that you have to set aperture prior to entering Live View mode. He also suggests that for controlling the aperture, you want to mount a lens with an aperture ring, and use that manually set aperture, which will be reflected on the display.

>I read that there is a workaround on the D7000 for being able
>to change the aperture while in LiveView when shooting video,
>but I don't know if it's true.
>
>The technique which I read about in this thread:
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=42530194
>
>Summarized: On the D7000 you can change aperture and shutter
>in LV and moviemode, and have it reflected in the preview, you
>just have to press (and hold down) the +- button and then turn
>the front or rear wheel.
>
>I don't have a D7000, so I'm wondering if anyone here can
>affirm that this works.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 29-Sep-12 05:37 PM
756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Aperture control"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 29-Sep-12 05:38 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

There is commentary in Thom Hogan's D7000 book on this. I believe you must set Aperture before turning on Live View. Then take the still or video. The limitation in Live View is that the changes to exposure settings must be made before starting Live View.

Perhaps somebody else here can elaborate. My use if Live View is only for still focus and a preview of Depth of Field, not for Movies or anything to do with exposure.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sun 30-Sep-12 05:42 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Aperture control"
In response to Reply # 2

HIXSON, US

Job Well Done,

I don't shoot a lot of video on my D7000. On my D5100, that is basically the way that I would work anyway. My problem was that I couldn't see the monitor very well (reflections, etc.) so I basically set up the shoot as if it was going to be a still in Aperture Mode, before switching to Live View & Video. Videos on the D5100 have to be in Aperture Mode and Live View.

Charlie
USNR-R Retired

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 30-Sep-12 04:34 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Aperture control"
In response to Reply # 1

Joanna, US

I used the same process and came up with the same results, Bob. Hogan's book is really good and with the camera in hand things begin to become clearer.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21259 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.