Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21217
View in linear mode

Subject: "Image Sensor - Dust or Oil?" Previous topic | Next topic
RSmith70 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2012Thu 27-Sep-12 05:08 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Image Sensor - Dust or Oil?"

Washington, US

So this is what I am getting, even with different lenses. I'm assuming this is not dust (?) since using the in-camera sensor cleaning command didn't change anything. Or is it possible that it IS dust that is simply stuck to the sensor? Is the oil pattern that is reported to show up on the right hand side of the image some hard-and-fast rule when it comes to ruling oil in or out? Clearly the specks are evenly distributed on the sensor.
in June, less that one year after purchasing the camera, I've started noticing the larger specks in the tops of my images mostly because they are against a bright sky, but there seem to be a lot of them all over the place.
What do I do next in terms of diagnosing the problem? I can tell you I am not comfortable cleaning it myself.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Image Sensor - Dust or Oil?
dm1dave Administrator
27th Sep 2012
RSmith70 Silver Member
27th Sep 2012
elec164 Silver Member
27th Sep 2012
Snapshott Silver Member
27th Sep 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
28th Sep 2012

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 27-Sep-12 05:28 PM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Image Sensor - Dust or Oil?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

It mostly looks like dust to me. The in-camera sensor cleaning feature can only remove loose particles.

First get a good blub blower. The Giottos Rocket Blower is highly recommended.
Use that to try to blow the dust off of the sensor.

If that does not work then the sensor need cleaning. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself then take it to a good camera store and see if they can do it. If there is no place to take it locally then you can send it to Nikon.

Here is some info on sensor cleaning….
http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=Tutorials

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

RSmith70 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2012Thu 27-Sep-12 08:17 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Image Sensor - Dust or Oil?"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 27-Sep-12 08:22 PM by RSmith70

Washington, US

Thanks everyone. I will try the bulb blower first. I don't have a Giottos, but I'm sure the one I have will be fine.

I'm just happy I don't have to touch the sensor.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 27-Sep-12 05:28 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Image Sensor - Dust or Oil?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Having had a D7000 that was repaired for the lubricant spray issue, my educated guess is general dust/debris.

Also in my honest opinion, the self-cleaning mode comes under the heading of better than nothing, but not overly effective.

I would try using a rocket blower to try and remove most of the debris. If that fails than a more invasive method is needed.

Pete

Pete

Snapshott Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Thu 27-Sep-12 05:36 PM
396 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Image Sensor - Dust or Oil?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I agree with the others that it's dust. The oil spot's I've had look more like donuts and are heavier down the right side of the photo.

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Fri 28-Sep-12 07:41 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Image Sensor - Dust or Oil?"
In response to Reply # 0

Burke, US

I agree with the other posters that this does not look like the lubricant spots I had. You might remember to hold the lens opening on the camera in the down position when using the rocket blower and do raise the mirror for cleaning using the utility in the "settings" menu. Then you could study up on wet cleaning and learn to do that yourself. It really is easy. Nerve-racking the first couple times, but easy to do.

Charles

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21217 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.