Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2114
View in linear mode

Subject: "RAW support" Previous topic | Next topic
eric k Registered since 31st May 2007Fri 19-Nov-10 11:12 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RAW support"

San Diego, US

I just got my body-only from B&H yesterday afternoon (ordered 9-16-10 at 4pm Pacific).

The camera has a hair trigger and the shutter is really quiet. What I really like is the lightning fast AF. With my AFS300/2.8/1.4TC it blows away my D300 like a GTO vs. a Rambler.....

My gripe is the lack of decent support for the D7000 RAW images. Capture NX2 is just awful. Slow, quirky, absolutely infuriating. Just about worthless. I'm going to just shoot jpegs until Photoshop Elements supports the D7000 RAW or I can afford CS5- assuming that it will support the D7000.

Eric Kallen San Diego

http://egk.smugmug.com/Photography/RECENT-PHOTOS

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: RAW support
B LaRue
19th Nov 2010
eric k
20th Nov 2010
csgaraglino Silver Member
20th Nov 2010
20th Nov 2010
tflawlis
20th Nov 2010
rbsandor Gold Member
20th Nov 2010
Robman3
20th Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
20th Nov 2010
eric k
20th Nov 2010
20th Nov 2010
B LaRue
20th Nov 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
20th Nov 2010

B LaRue Registered since 04th Nov 2010Fri 19-Nov-10 11:56 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: RAW support"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I just downloaded the support for NX2 to recognize D7000 NEFs this evening. I just brought home my camera this afternoon.

What computer do you have? I'm running an iMac and it handles the files just fine. They open right up, and I only do a minor adjustment or two then open them straight into CS5.

What's nice about opening them first in NX2 is the color is so much better. Nikon knows its cameras.

Betty

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

eric k Registered since 31st May 2007Sat 20-Nov-10 12:39 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: RAW support"
In response to Reply # 1

San Diego, US

Likewise, I'm using an IMac.... the NX2 is so slow. With my D300's raw pics my CS3 works like a dream. FAST!

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberSat 20-Nov-10 12:58 AM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: RAW support"
In response to Reply # 3

Colorado Springs, US

You can always download the ACR 6.3 release canidate fro Adobe Labs

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-3/

It does support the D7000

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberSat 20-Nov-10 12:24 AM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: RAW support"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Don't shoot yourself in the foot!
Shoot RAW + JPEG, store the RAWs for later when more support is available. That way if you get a shoot that you need to tweak, you'll have the negative!

Just a thought...

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino

tflawlis Registered since 16th Nov 2010Sat 20-Nov-10 01:04 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: RAW support"
In response to Reply # 0

Celina, US

Hello Eric... It's frustrating. I have a new iMac 27 with the new iPhoto 2011. Apple (in both iPhoto and Finder) does not support the new D7000 raw file format. Adobe CS4 or less does not support the new D7000 raw file format. And, yes, the View NX2 is not something you'd really want to rely on.

The good news is that adobe has Lightroom 3.3 as a candidate release (i.e.: free). This is very nice for cataloging.

I do miss Bridge and Photoshop and iPhoto, though. Looks like I will bite the bullet and upgrade to CS5!

It would be GREAT if everyone pitched in and left a message with Apple to add a patch to support the new file format. (apple.com/feedback).

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Sat 20-Nov-10 01:40 AM
1410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: RAW support"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Your opinion about the merits of NX2 may well be based on lack of sufficient RAM. With 4 GB, it runs extremely well on my MB Pro 15". My ability to process D7000 images in NX2 has been superb. Sorry to learn you are not happy. Richard

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Sat 20-Nov-10 04:41 AM
1759 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: RAW support"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

I once worked in a junk yard, garage and body shop.

One of the loaners was a late 57 Rambler station wagon, we took it out on Friday night and went head to head with a Camero (possibly a 283) off the line the Rambler never looked back.

http://jubileejeeps.org/327/57rebel.htm

Just food for thought in a kidding kind of way, the Tri-power GTO at 389 CI was not the car we raced that evening, but I would have liked to.

Rob

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 20-Nov-10 05:25 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: RAW support"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Batch convert the D7000 NEF files to 16 bit TIFF format and use any editor you like for any adjustments. Many report that the D7000 files render best with the ViewNX version on the CD in the camera box. If you can get Capture NX2 working on your machine(more RAM) it really does have some great rendering and flexibility once you learn it. To get the most out of it be sure to get Jason O'Dell's ebook on Capture NX2. The Nikon manual does not convey the true power of the program.
From all the reports I've read, Adobe's RC ACR is close but does not render as well so images are not as noise free or as sharp at this point in its development. It took a year and a half for ACR to get as good as ViewNX for the D90 so expect some fine tuning as they try to reverse engineer what special tricks Nikon is doing to their RAW D7000 files.
With the D90 the difference between the first version that supported it to the later versions of ACR, there was a obvious improvement. Revisiting old NEF files results in better JPG conversions than when the first supporting version was released.
Some of the rendering engines will never get fine tuned so will stay behind the Nikon D7000 files.
I am happy with LightRoonm 3 for most large batches but when a image is going to be printed large presented as a present, or for publication I use Capture NX2 for important images. I've got most of the Windows editors, and like the UI of Adobe products best, but Nikon software is still best for rendering, particularly D7000 files.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

eric k Registered since 31st May 2007Sat 20-Nov-10 03:16 PM
#10. "RE: RAW support"
In response to Reply # 8

San Diego, US

Thank you very much for your well presented response. I am surprised that my IMac (1.5Gig Ram) cannot handle Capture NX2 .... I'll upgrade the Ram if I can get it up to 4 Gigs. Eric
Sunny San Diego

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberSat 20-Nov-10 05:37 AM
#9. "RE: RAW support"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

I as well use NX2, always have.
Yes there are performance issues, but what it does with the RAW file far out weighs these inconveniences.

Nikon, knows Nikon better than adobe or anybody else.

I love the ability of opening an old RAW file, save the current version, revert to original, and apply new setting based on my learned experiences. It almost like have two different images, actually, I do often get two completely different images.

I do have Lightroom, but don't use it. I also have CS5 but I only use it for graphic designs in my day job.

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino

B LaRue Registered since 04th Nov 2010Sat 20-Nov-10 03:44 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: RAW support"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I hear you, Chris. I recently redeveloped some older images in NX2 that had been developed in CS3. Wow, what a difference! The color is outstanding in comparison. It was like I went back and shot the same scene again, but so much better. Kind of like the difference between ordinary film and Velvia back when. Only more so. Sometimes all I do in NX2 is open the raw file and export to CS5, and even used minimally like that, there is a huge difference.

I admit I don't know how to use the features of NX2 well, but I can set the black, white & gray points, blue up the skies, apply spot adjustments using the U-points (?) contrast, exposure and things like that. It's the more complicated stuff I don't have a clue about. I would rather have a hard copy book to reference to rather than use up disk space. I guess I could print out Jason's book, but then I'd have ink and paper costs on top of it.

Betty

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 20-Nov-10 04:34 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: RAW support"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

At least Nikon got the software out with the camera. There have been many camera releases where the software was several months late. 3rd party products come out later because they do not start their updates until Nikon finalizes it's product.

Also both Nikon and 3rd party vendors are constantly updating their software so it may become better in the future.

You are aware that 3rd party program only apply the White Balance in camera setting and all other in camera settings are ignored.

As mentioned you can open a NEF in Nikon View NX2 and when properly configured you can directly transfer the in memory image to a 3rd party program so you can edit the image with the in camera settings applied in the 3rd party program

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2114 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.