Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21139
View in linear mode

Subject: "Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 24-Sep-12 11:19 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"

Los Angeles, US

When using the remote cord MC DC2 to trigger the shutter, you DO NOT set the Release Mode Dial to REMOTE. Instead, you set it to S, for single frame. REMOTE on the Release Mode dial, however, only pertains to the Infra Red remote release.

I had to make a trip to my camera store to learn this. It seems pretty counter-intuitive to control an accessory called a Remote Cord the same as taking a normal picture.

Just thought some of you would like to know. I specifically chose to buy a wired cord because the simplicity and reliability. I can walk around the camera anywhere and take a shot. Usually, I am in front of it, adjust the things when I want to fire off a shot.

Gary Curtis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??
four eighty sparky Silver Member
24th Sep 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
25th Sep 2012
25th Sep 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
25th Sep 2012
dm1dave Administrator
25th Sep 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
25th Sep 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
25th Sep 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
25th Sep 2012
25th Sep 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
25th Sep 2012
tcerul
25th Sep 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
25th Sep 2012
25th Sep 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
25th Sep 2012
greenwing Gold Member
25th Sep 2012
Patrick604
26th Sep 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
25th Sep 2012
km6xz Moderator
26th Sep 2012
michalaase Gold Member
26th Sep 2012
greenwing Gold Member
26th Sep 2012
Reply message Locking the thread
dm1dave Administrator
27th Sep 2012

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 24-Sep-12 11:43 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

A trip through the instruction manual would have been cheaper (and probably quicker).

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 25-Sep-12 12:01 AM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

Before sending this out, I looked in the Nikon booklet and also in Darrel Young's book on the D7000.

The Nikon manual mentions the part, briefly, but says nothing about it other than that it plugs into the mini USB port behind the door on the left of the camera.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Tue 25-Sep-12 12:05 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Page 77 describes the use of the "Remote" setting of the Mode Dial. It makes no mention of the MC-DC2, only the ML-L3.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 25-Sep-12 01:17 AM
#4. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 3

Los Angeles, US

Yeah, I saw that. The reality in this age of technology is that engineers design things. Publishing a book explaining how to work those things is usually an afterthought. Handed off to anyone, such as a janitor.

Nikon isn't alone in this.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 25-Sep-12 02:53 AM
11298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 4

Lowden, US

Nikon manuals are not known for being written well. Some important tidbits are ignored and other are just hard to find.

If you have problems and the manual is not clear just post here in the D7000 forum. We can usually answer your questions quicker than a trip to the camera shop.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Tue 25-Sep-12 09:47 AM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thom Hogan's D7000 book clearly describes this. FWIW.

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 25-Sep-12 01:11 PM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 0

Brighton and Hove, GB

I think this is a great example of digital age dumbness (not meant to describe you, Gary, just a general phenomenon that seems to be the result of using modern digital devices). We get so used to modes for everything that we sometimes don't consider that something might just work.

I guess I was lucky: I have used cable releases on film SLRs where you really do just attach the cable and it works, so my subconscious had me assuming that the MC DC2 would work that way. Without that experience I probably would have set remote release mode as you did.

Note that you don't need to set single frame mode, just don't set remote mode. Remote release and MUP is probably one of the classic uses of the cord.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 25-Sep-12 04:10 PM
#8. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 7

Los Angeles, US

RL,

I've got Thom Hogan's book. But since it is in digital form, it is a bother to start up the computer and open that pdf file. Another instance of 'digital overdo'.

When I went to the camera store I was prepared to make them exchange the cable. They knew immediately what was up, and asked me what release mode I set on the camera.

That tells me they must have encountered this hurdle with other Nikon owners.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Tue 25-Sep-12 04:35 PM
#9. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Put the PDF on your smart phone. It's always on, isn't it?

Maybe the people at the store have read the manual.

Visit my website.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Tue 25-Sep-12 05:03 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I have a printed copy, and it occupies a treasured spot in the executive reading room of my palatial shack. Whenever I, errm, have a few minutes, I'll find myself reading a new section and learning something.

While I do value the PDF version, hard copy simply works better in the can.

tcerul Basic MemberTue 25-Sep-12 05:56 PM
422 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 10

Hardy, US

LOL, love the description of relative merits of printed vs. digital copy.

Tom
From Beautiful Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 25-Sep-12 06:36 PM
#12. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 11

Los Angeles, US

Why I didn't read the book. Or, what I didn't do on my summer vacation.

Some numbers must be cited.

The Thom Hogan book is over 800 pages. Not easy to print out a pdf file of that size. And then, what do you do with the pages? It is a matter of scale. At the same time I am debating the merits of a Kindle reader, it seems like a meaningful alternative to paper books.

Once the explanation is found, it would be easy to overlook. Am I alone in not trusting IR and wanting a wired release? The information is buried.

But back to my original talking point: why on earth label a position REMOTE on a shutter mode dial if it won't work with a remote cable release? And then don't mention that, or a workaround in the accompanying USER MANUAL?

Certainly there is no learning curve involved in remote cables. It isn't as complex as Auto Focus or White Balance. Nikon couldn't possibly be expected to go into detail on those 2 subjects. Furthermore, why didn't didn't Darryl Young bring this up in his 500-page book on the D7000? I seem to recall paying green money for that book, and not gaining comprehensive understanding on a number of key D7000 features.

Argggh! And I thought DSLR was supposed to be fun.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Tue 25-Sep-12 06:39 PM
#13. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Write your own book, then.

Visit my website.

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Tue 25-Sep-12 08:40 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 13
Tue 25-Sep-12 08:42 PM by J_Harris

US

>Write your own book, then.

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Tue 25-Sep-12 09:11 PM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 8

Yorkshire, GB

>I've got Thom Hogan's book. But since it is in digital form,
>it is a bother to start up the computer and open that pdf
>file. Another instance of 'digital overdo'.
>
>When I went to the camera store I was prepared to make them
>exchange the cable. They knew immediately what was up, and
>asked me what release mode I set on the camera.

Much less bother to go to the camera store than start up the computer?

>But back to my original talking point: why on earth label a position
>REMOTE on a shutter mode dial if it won't work with a remote cable
>release? And then don't mention that, or a workaround in the
>accompanying USER MANUAL?

But pretty much any time the Remote setting on the dial is mentioned, the ML-L3 is mentioned also. There's even a picture of it on the dial.

Chris

Patrick604 Registered since 24th Jun 2012Wed 26-Sep-12 02:23 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I agree with Gary. The use of a tripod, the MC-DC2 and the mirror up function are my SOP when taking night time / low light shots. A vrey useful combination indeed.

Link to my Nikonians Gallery

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 25-Sep-12 08:46 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I have always looked at the wired release as a direct extension of the shutter button sort of like the flexible wire releases for film cameras. The Wired releases actually connect to the 3 wires of the shutter release switch with no other circuitry and like the shutter release draws no power from the camera until the first position is activated to wake up the camera. The camera and sit idle for days before the wired release is used without worry of draining the battery.

The IR system requires the camera to be active and constantly draws energy for the IR receiver and the "Remote" setting starts a special timer to turn of the IR system so the camera's battery is not drained if you forget to turn off the camera. If it worked like the wired release, your battery would be drained in a matter of hours because the AF system and exposure metering systems would be on and adjusting your camera and lens.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 26-Sep-12 07:54 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 15

St Petersburg, RU

The wired release is not really "remote" but an extension of the local shutter release switch, in parallel with the camera mounted release button. Remote in this and many cases is not local control but separated from the unit controlled. I have used both trigger systems and it never occurred to me that there was an issue about this, Remote in Nikon talk on a D7000 is the IR ML-3, and the multi-pin socket is simply another switch across the existing switch, just like the grip's additional parallel switch connection which would not refer to as remote either but just wired another switch in parallel to the main switch.
I do not think anyone was really remiss in not devoting another page to this distinction, or we would be complaining of Thom's 1000 page book.
Personally I love the little IR remote, it works really well and for a greater distance than I would have guessed. Adding the second IR detector on the back was a big help in expanding its usefulness.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

michalaase Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Wed 26-Sep-12 08:11 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 18
Wed 26-Sep-12 08:17 PM by michalaase

Karasjok, NO

A little off topic, perhaps, but…

Stan: «…Adding the second IR detector on the back was a big help in expanding its usefulness…»

A second IR detector? - I must have missed something !
I love the ML-3, but I would love it even more if this could expand the range (especially in the back of the camera) !
Are you talking about a kind of external device, or is it a "on camera" feature I have missed ?

If this is indeed an external device. Stan, could you please tell which brand & model ?

Michal
Karasjok, Norway

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Wed 26-Sep-12 08:27 PM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Remote Release Cord ---- Did you know??"
In response to Reply # 19

Yorkshire, GB

In the English D7000 manual it's on page 5, key 19. Just to the right of the multi-selector.

Chris

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 27-Sep-12 12:50 AM
11298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "Locking the thread"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Since the original question has been answered and some of the posts seem to be headed in nasty direction, I am going to lock this thread now before someone says something really insulting.

Gary, I understand you frustration. The Nikon manuals are not always as through or clear as they should be and some things may get glossed over or forgotten in independent guide books. Please send Darryl Young your feedback on this issue. He will appreciate the input as he is trying to produce the best product that he can.

If anyone is interested in further discussion of cable releases or remote control functions please feel free to start a new thread.

Thank you,
Dave

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21139 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.