Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21131
View in linear mode

Subject: "d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D70..." Previous topic | Next topic
photoman4474 Registered since 02nd Mar 2007Mon 24-Sep-12 07:29 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
Tue 25-Sep-12 12:17 AM by photoman4474

I have had some troubel with my new D7000 spots on senser hot pixels sent it back for the second time and still fell like my photos are #### take a look and see what you think

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the...
elec164 Silver Member
24th Sep 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
24th Sep 2012
briantilley Moderator
24th Sep 2012
aolander Silver Member
24th Sep 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
24th Sep 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
24th Sep 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
24th Sep 2012
dm1dave Administrator
25th Sep 2012
dm1dave Administrator
25th Sep 2012
dm1dave Administrator
25th Sep 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
25th Sep 2012
aolander Silver Member
25th Sep 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
25th Sep 2012
km6xz Moderator
26th Sep 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
26th Sep 2012
PAStime Silver Member
26th Sep 2012
kentak Silver Member
26th Sep 2012
dm1dave Administrator
26th Sep 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
26th Sep 2012

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 24-Sep-12 07:32 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Welcome to Nikonians Tim.

I'd be more than happy to look, but where?

Pete

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 24-Sep-12 08:22 PM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It's near impossible to spot hot pixels with a greatly-reduced image.

I see lots of spots....... water spots, however.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 24-Sep-12 09:39 PM
28666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians, Tim!

That looks like a pretty nice shot to me - but if we're meant to be looking for sensor dust or hot pixels it's not really possible to judge. Do you have another example, of a more plain subject?

By the way - you'll notice that your post activated our automatic filter - that's because we discourage "bad language" in our Community.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 24-Sep-12 10:11 PM
3172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

How could we ever pick out hot pixels or dust spots with all the water droplets in the image?

Alan

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Mon 24-Sep-12 10:28 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 24-Sep-12 10:29 PM by J_Harris

US

I can't see any dust spots either, but is that a hot pixel in the viewers upper-right corner?

Jerry

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 24-Sep-12 11:03 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Joanna, US

I,too, believe the upper third rt corner may be a hot pixel (yellow). Otherwise, looks like a good action shot.

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 24-Sep-12 11:48 PM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 24-Sep-12 11:49 PM by four eighty sparky

US

If the yellow is a hot pixel, it's a damn big one. Even in this 1,200px × 794px reduced image, the yellow measures roughly 8 x 10 pixels.

If the original was shot at 4,928 x 3,264 that would mean the yellow spot measures about 32 x 40 pixels.

Seems unlikely there would be 1200+ 'dead' pixels all clustered together.... producing the same color. I'd say it's just debris in the water and it's OOF.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 25-Sep-12 12:02 AM
11277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

Lowden, US

Not sure what that is but it is not a hot pixel. It is too big and not quite the right shape. It looks like it is some sort of reflection.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 25-Sep-12 12:12 AM
11277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Like the others I see no obvious evidence of hot pixels or any other sensor problem.

As a wildlife photographer I have to say that this a really good action shot. You did a great job holding focus with all of the splashing water and the fast moving bird. Especilly at 800mm on a DX body. What lens were you shootin?

What is it about this shot that makes you think it is bad?

PS Please fill out your profile. It will help us understand the equipment that you have used and have available so that we can better help you.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 25-Sep-12 06:07 AM
#12. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue 25-Sep-12 05:45 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

>>> “...take a look and see what you think.”

Aside from my first post I want to give you may take, as a wildlife photographer, on the quality of this image.

First as I said above I think this is a really good action shot. I would be very satisfied to have this as part of my wildlife image catalog. That said it is not what I would consider a “wall hanger.” I would not print it on fine art paper or offer it for sale or enter it in any contest. But it is a keeper for sure. I would consider it for use in a calendar or an illustration for a book or an article.

focus & Sharpness

I mentioned in my other post that the focus was quite good. This is a difficult focus problem for any photographer with any camera. You and your D7000 did a great job. The body, head, eye, beak and legs of the bird are quite sharp.

Some people (almost always other photographers) will not like the blurred wings. They want to see every detail of every feather every time. I do not see it that way at all. The wing blur is an essential element in this image. Tack sharp wings in this shot would look unnatural.

The blur gives the viewer the sense of motion and speed. The splashing water, with in-focus and out-of-focus droplets bring a sense of chaos in this slit second that is frozen in time.

“Framing / Composition”

This is one that you may be able to work on. How much is this image cropped?

We have this nice looking bird with a great wing position that the viewer knows is speeding across the frame from left to right. But wait a minute, he is about to hit the edge of the frame, he has no place to fly to. Our eye naturally wants to look ahead of the bird to get a feeling for where it is going. Our eye is drawn out of the image if there is no room in front of the moving subject. I would try to have about a third of the image width in front of the bird to give the viewer room to look ahead.

Also at the top of the frame the wing tip is kind of close to the edge of the frame. This makes the viewer feel cramped and makes it harder for the eye to follow the composition without being drawn to the strait line created by the edge of the frame.

Beginning wildlife photographers tend to try to completely fill the fame with the subject. We soon learn that capturing every last finite detail is not what makes a great wildlife image. Like any other art form the overall composition is always more important than uber sharpness and detail.

“Lighting”

This image was captured in mid-afternoon (3:25 Pm) on a very bright (ISO-640 | f/10 | 1/3200s) sunny day. That creates some pretty harsh light. The same image shot two hours later or with sunlight filtered by high thin clouds and you can move from really good shot to great shot just from the improved light.

Both you and the D7000 did a great job with a very difficult metering situation. A white bird with black markings (and eyes) against a dark background in the harsh mid-day light is hard on any metering system. Great work!

Sometimes you can use post processing to compensate for the harsh light. I would probably darken the water a little bit. Then I would work on the bird and try to bring out the eye a bit.

As amateur wildlife photographers we often have little control of the lighting or time of day that our subjects are available. The big name pros spend a lot more time planning shoots and the they are out in the field for days or weeks at a time in ordern to get sll of those stunning images we all want. Amateurs with day jobs often have to take what they can get. We dont have nearly as many oppertunities to get thos great images in perfect light. The more we get out to shoot the more likley that we will find those great shooting conditions and coopertive subjects at the same time.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Tue 25-Sep-12 12:16 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Excellent critique, Dave. I learned a lot by reading it.

Thanks,

Jerry

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 25-Sep-12 12:49 AM
3172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The yellow spot appears to be another water droplet, and I think it is colored by the greenish color of the water behind it.

Alan

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Tue 25-Sep-12 12:55 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

HIXSON, US

Why not shoot at a completely blue sky in the evening at f22, and post it on here. It should be light enough to shoot at about 1/125th.

Charlie

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 26-Sep-12 07:58 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

It is obvious from the many comments that no one is sure what you are referring to when you say the images are poor. Can you describe what you find so unacceptable in how the camera responded to the conditions?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Wed 26-Sep-12 12:14 PM
#15. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 14

US

It sure is strange there has been no response from the original poster. Maybe he is a mole/infiltrator working for Canon, Inc. trying to cause discontent with our D7000s.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 26-Sep-12 12:25 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 15

Kingston, CA

Looks like a pretty good picture to me.

I notice in the EXIF the focal length was 800mm (1200mm equivalent). the lens is listed as a 300-800mm F5.6. I would guess a Sigma?

In any case, I guess we need to hear back from the OP. That post was his or her very first on Nikonians.

Peter

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Wed 26-Sep-12 02:06 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 15

US

>It sure is strange there has been no response from the
>original poster. Maybe he is a mole/infiltrator working for
>Canon, Inc. trying to cause discontent with our D7000s.
>

I don't think so. He has a Flickr account under the same username. Many of the bird and others nature images are taken with the D7000. They are fantastic, IMO. Check them out.

Kent

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 26-Sep-12 04:21 PM
#18. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 17
Wed 26-Sep-12 04:37 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

I agree. Tim is a Silver member at Nikonians. People who come to make trouble tend to use free accounts.

Looking at his Fickr account and his Zenfolio galleries it is clear that Tim is a talented wildlife photographer.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Wed 26-Sep-12 05:02 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: d7000 help I fell like my photos are #### with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 18

US

>
>Looking at his Fickr account and his Zenfolio galleries it is
>clear that Tim is a talented wildlife photographer.
>

With apparently very high standards. I keep looking at the image he's not happy about, and wishing that I could make images that good.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21131 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.